I'm having problems getting my DI tracks sounding remotely civilized. They sound so muddy and unfocused. I'm wondering if there's anything I can do to possibly have them not sound like shit. Like maybe a slight EQ or something?

Here's the Audio example. The good DI is first. Then my DI is second.

I put my DI along with Ola Englund's DI and his sounds amazing!
He's using his Apple Apogee one interface. I'm using a Zoom H4N as my Interface to record DI. Both are in the same price range if not the same. (When I bought my Zoom it was $300 in late 09) so I'm not sure why mine sounds so crappy. Any ideas? Thoughts?

On an added note:
I'm recording my guitar the same dB level as the first, if not a little hotter (2-3 dB)
I'm using a Schecter Blackjack with the JB and '59 so it's like it's not due to shitty pickups or anything.
I'm using a 7 string as well, the strings are also new (week old at most, they still have the new string sound)
Last edited by Majin Gaara at Apr 28, 2011,
If you've got new strings and good pups and have solid technique, I'd say it's your interface that's detracting the most from the quality.

It's also be a lot easier to compare those two DI's if you didn't have the second one panned hard left. Anyway, how does your DI sound once it's reamped?
I didn't mean for it be panned hard left. For some reason it didn't center it like it was supposed to. When I record through it pans it hard left. Still not sure why.

And it dosen't sound much better re amped. It sounds okay, but it sounds really mediocre as far as production and quality. It looks like I need to invest in a good DI box...
You'll still need to get a proper interface if you're using a DI box. I'd just get a nice interface with a good pre-amp and use that for your DIs. A DI box is really only necessary if you're reamping with an actual amp opposed to an amp sim.
Okay yeah, that makes sense. I was thinking about going for the PreSonus Firebox. Periphery recorded their entire album (guitar, bass) with the Presonus Firepod (same as Firebox, just more outputs) so I'm thinking of rolling with a DI that way.
That's a solid piece of equipment. I'm considering upgrading from my POD GX to one of those this summer.
Quote by Odirunn
That's a solid piece of equipment. I'm considering upgrading from my POD GX to one of those this summer.

The Firepod or the Firebox?
Most likely the Firebox. I don't really need the 10 inputs on the Firepod for the time being. I really only do guitar, bass and vocal tracking at my house.
Quote by Majin Gaara
I didn't mean for it be panned hard left. For some reason it didn't center it like it was supposed to. When I record through it pans it hard left. Still not sure why.

Because you're recording a mono signal to a stereo track. Mono info defaults to the left side of a stereo input.