Thanks dude! I forgot to put it in the title, but I'll C4C if you give me a link.
Quote by sloppyjoe24
I'd advise you take the "fail" out of the title because it's better than you think.

Thanks. Title changed.
very clean playing
Gear
- Synyster Schecter Standard
- Peavey Vyper 15

I'm currently using Cubase 5 for any recording purposes.
Hey !
That's some very good playing there..and I LOVE the sound ! What are you playing through ? Excellent picking technique, I guess you ecomomy pick when you're not tapping ? Now get your tone and technique on some recordings,make some music !
Good work !
Damocles, I'm playing my Hagstrom Swede through a Peavey Vypyr on the 6505 modeler. Honestly, I'm not sure about my picking technique. I sweep pick and use alternate picking at different points, IDK about economy picking. But thank you VERY much!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments.
& Aaron; I'll listen to your songs tonight!
Last edited by DavidRayT at May 1, 2011,
Quote by DavidRayT
Damocles, I'm playing my Hagstrom Swede through a Peavey Vypyr on the 6505 modeler. Honestly, I'm not sure about my picking technique. I sweep pick and use alternate picking at different points, IDK about economy picking. But thank you VERY much!

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate the comments.

Check this out, great info re economy picking ! Took me some weeks to get it right, but WHAT a revelation to my picking speed.
http://www.thewizardofshred.com/index/category/Economy%20Picking%20Revealed
Oh, yes, that's pretty much how I do it. I didn't know it had a name though. Interesting, thanks for telling me!
Well, I might try out the Hagstrøm Swede because of your youtube-clip.
Thanks for reminding me of Hagstrøms, they are swedish..my neighbourcountry !l
Quote by Damocles
Well, I might try out the Hagstrøm Swede because of your youtube-clip.
Thanks for reminding me of Hagstrøms, they are swedish..my neighbourcountry !l

I would recommend it. They feel AMAZING, and sound great.
My only complaints are the bridge pickup sounds a little nasally clean, and I'm having some tiny tuning stability issues. It probably has to do with the way I strung it, or the nut.
I clicked 'like' before you even started playing as I am also a lefthanded hagstrom (viking) player.

I didnt regret clicking it though as youre playing was super clean.
Liked the neoclassical pedal lick at the beginning, reminds me of when i listened to a lot of malmsteen.

The fast picked part after that lick i didnt like so much as, although both hands were moving real fast, they didnt seem totally in sync - i could be wrong though. I just like to be sure that there is one pick stroke to each note in a fast passage like that and it seemed you were hitting each note a few times - perhaps deliberately - which my ears dont like. (Having said that your picking hand was moving much faster than mine can so perhaps im just a bit jealous lol). Paul Gilbert (Al Di Meola if youre into fusion) is the king of super clean alternate picked scale runs; if you arent a fan of his yet, become one.

Loved the swept then tapped arpeggios, I hope to be able to play that cleanly after another few weeks of practice, Im nearly there I think. (I really hate sloppy sweeping (which is most sweeping), which is why for ages i decided not to even try to sweep until recently, but your timing and pick attack are good)

edit - have a look at my thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27094364#post27094364

edit edit - you already have, cheers
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
I clicked 'like' before you even started playing as I am also a lefthanded hagstrom (viking) player.

I didnt regret clicking it though as youre playing was super clean.
Liked the neoclassical pedal lick at the beginning, reminds me of when i listened to a lot of malmsteen.

The fast picked part after that lick i didnt like so much as, although both hands were moving real fast, they didnt seem totally in sync - i could be wrong though. I just like to be sure that there is one pick stroke to each note in a fast passage like that and it seemed you were hitting each note a few times - perhaps deliberately - which my ears dont like. (Having said that your picking hand was moving much faster than mine can so perhaps im just a bit jealous lol). Paul Gilbert (Al Di Meola if youre into fusion) is the king of super clean alternate picked scale runs; if you arent a fan of his yet, become one.

Loved the swept then tapped arpeggios, I hope to be able to play that cleanly after another few weeks of practice, Im nearly there I think. (I really hate sloppy sweeping (which is most sweeping), which is why for ages i decided not to even try to sweep until recently, but your timing and pick attack are good)

edit - have a look at my thread https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?p=27094364#post27094364

edit edit - you already have, cheers

Yes! Lefties, and Hagstrom players FTW!
Thank you! The pedal lick is definitely my favorite lick I've written(perhaps stolen from Malmsteen. He was a huge inspiration when I was 12 or so.)
Thank you for pointing that out about the multi-picked single notes, it is true. I can either do that quickly, or do a lot of hammer ons quickly, but I haven't gotten to where I can single pick a lot of notes in a fast passage, I definitely need to work on that with a metronome!

Thank you! I appreciate that a ton. I felt like it was pretty rough, and I could probably do better, so I greatly appreciate that you think it was good!

@ Waff, sorry, no! I wrote the solo just improv on accident shortly before recording, then decided to record it. I have NO idea how to make a good backing track, and when I tried to record rhythm afterwards, it sounded bad so I removed it. I'll work on backing track making!
Yeah as I started learning to play fast shred type stuff from a collection of Paul Gilbert articles/lessons and he is very much against picking really fast and fretting out of sync so I got my dislike of that from him. Look for his lessons and early DVDs, hes a great teacher and a remarkable alternate picker. Its just a matter of gradually speeding a lick/scale up from a tempo where its really easy to however fast you wanna go, making sure that your technique stays perfect (and in sync) as you get fast.

edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE - Scarified - the first terrifyingly fast guitar playing I had ever seen; a few years ago I vowed not to be satisfied with my technique till I could play this piece - Im still a few years practicing away from that though.
But boys will be boys and girls have those eyes
that'll cut you to ribbons, sometimes
and all you can do is just wait by the moon
and bleed if it's what she says you ought to do
Last edited by Hydra150 at May 2, 2011,
Quote by Hydra150
Yeah as I started learning to play fast shred type stuff from a collection of Paul Gilbert articles/lessons and he is very much against picking really fast and fretting out of sync so I got my dislike of that from him. Look for his lessons and early DVDs, hes a great teacher and a remarkable alternate picker. Its just a matter of gradually speeding a lick/scale up from a tempo where its really easy to however fast you wanna go, making sure that your technique stays perfect (and in sync) as you get fast.

edit - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPGA3vjMLgE - Scarified - the first terrifyingly fast guitar playing I had ever seen; a few years ago I vowed not to be satisfied with my technique till I could play this piece - Im still a few years practicing away from that though.

Yeah, Paul Gilbert's insane. I'll look for his videos.
I don't really like the sound of it either; it's just the only really fast picking hand stuff I can do. Haha.

& HOT DAMN. I haven't listened to this song before. All 3 of them are insane.
Good as a scherzo. You captured the essence of the Baroque sound. I couldn't begin to play that fast - not that I want to - but it was fun to listen to.
Quote by Jehannum
Good as a scherzo. You captured the essence of the Baroque sound. I couldn't begin to play that fast - not that I want to - but it was fun to listen to.

I have no clue what Scherzo is, and I guess Baroque is a composer. lol Thanks man!