Okay, well like a lot of people on this site, I'm a guitar player who is learning theory and is quite new to it. I'm working on the notes of the neck and im reading a lot of info, but that info isn't really going anywhere cause a lot of places give different explanations to the same thing so in the end i really dont know anything other than notes and scales. well I want to know what the hell modal music is? examples please. I keep reading from people to learn major and minor scales. BUT theres a lot more scales than those two. why not use those? someone please explain this. And i guess cause this is important I play mainly metal (firewind, megadeth, metallica, stuff like that ya know) and a few joe satriani steve vai and Paul gilbert tunes. I just wanna know more of the theory side to things and what and how to apply to what i do
Last edited by SarwTheGreat at Apr 28, 2011,
Unfortunately, I've got a loose grasp on modal theory myself, but if you listen to Joe Satriani a lot of his stuff is modal instead of tonally centered...so that would give you an idea of how it sounds...

There are a few good articles on here about modal theory - the best I have seen was a series posted about 2 months ago on here, but unfortunately I can't remember the names or the user who posted them.....try searching for modal theory...and I think Firewind, Megadeth and Metallica just use modes like scales for solos rather than playing modally centered music...now, the three names on the end would use modes much more extensively...
Quote by SarwTheGreat
Okay, well like a lot of people on this site, I'm a guitar player who is learning theory and is quite new to it. I'm working on the notes of the neck and im reading a lot of info, but that info isn't really going anywhere cause a lot of places give different explanations to the same thing so in the end i really dont know anything other than notes and scales. well I want to know what the hell modal music is? examples please. I keep reading from people to learn major and minor scales. BUT theres a lot more scales than those two. why not use those? someone please explain this. And i guess cause this is important I play mainly metal (firewind, megadeth, metallica, stuff like that ya know) and a few joe satriani steve vai and Paul gilbert tunes. I just wanna know more of the theory side to things and what and how to apply to what i do

The reason people say learn major and minor scales is because you will RARELY encounter modal music in todays music. Its almost always in Major or Minor, with maybe a few accidentals. Modal music existed back before tonal harmony was established. The other reason they say ignore it for now, is because you need a strong theory background to understand it. I know my way around theory quite well I'd think, and I still consider myself a novice at modal music. Learn as much about tonal harmony, which means, learn what you can about the major scale, and I mean, LEARN IT. how to construct it, how to harmonize it, the function of the chords harmonized from it, etc. Only after that, should you even consider learning modal music
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I must agree. Dont worry about modes yet.
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Don't worry TS, it's not your fault. For some reason if people google "music theory for guitar" you'll come across the word "modes" quite quickly. Most people don't understand it on the net, and they continue to teach it anyway.

But if you ask questions in this forum we're free to help. As per usual we guide people to www.musictheory.net, which is a great source of information.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by SarwTheGreat

I would recommend getting a good theory book and/or taking lessons (or a class).

Piecing together random opinions online isn't a very reliable way to go about it.
The internet is not a bad supplement once you get past the fundamentals, but to start there from scratch can really lead to some bad results.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 28, 2011,
Quote by SarwTheGreat
... . BUT theres a lot more scales than those two. why not use those? ...

That is a GREAT question!!!

And you may have learned that the emperor has no clothes.

Most of the time ... MOST of the time, people are using a Major or a Minor scale -- they try to sound fancy about it ... but, like people have said 99% of the time they are just using major or minor.

A really good book about all of this is the Berklee Music Theory series by Paul Schmeling.