I'm looking for a decent acoustic, I've never owned one before and I really don't know what to look for in one.

Budget >$300
Genres: Every thing you can think of

Also any tips for taking care of an Acoustic would be helpful

thanks in advance.
yamaha fg700s or the somewhat warmer sounding but more expensive yamaha fg730s. yamaha makes some of the best budget guitars around - nice build quality and hardware, gloss finish, good tone.

buy a hygrometer, test it - this is important - adjust as needed and use it where your guitar is kept. acoustic guitars should be kept at between 40% and 55% humidity ideally, with a little leeway in either direction. and if you can afford it, take it for a professional set up to get the action lowered (which will probably be necessary) and check the neck relief. if you buy the fg700s, you'll have enough left over to get that set up immediately - have it done by a real luthier, don't take it to guitar center.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
Try a Seagul S6. Best value in solid-top acoustics out there in my humble opinion. Come set-up great from the factory, nice mellow tone, and most importantly, Solid-Topped. You can pick one up new for about $350-$400, but used Seagulls can be had for about $300 easily.
the seagull s6 is a better sounding guitar to me than the yamahas, but be cautious buying used if you don't know guitars. look for cracks - small ones running in the same direction as the grain can be difficult to spot - swollen top, lifting bridge, check for rattling inside the body of the guitar.
Quote by Skeet UK
I just looked in my Oxford English Dictionary and under "Acoustic Guitar", there was your Avatar and an email address!
I support Patti's Yamaha recommendation.

I've had a FG730S for about two years now, and I really like it. I picked it up to just have a "beater" guitar for parks, beaches, festivals, etc. But, it sounds pretty good, so I haven't limited it's use to that.

I use Martin's SP Custom Light strings and it has a nice balance between being bright and boomy, and the overtones are rather nice too. I'd recommend a Yamaha to anybody, especially over the similarly priced Epiphones and Fenders that I've tried.
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.
Yamaha makes some great guitars

so do some other companies though

we're pretty lucky to live in an age saturated with guitar
not a lot of companies make great guitars in the $200 to $300 price range, however.

Quote by mizxou
Yamaha makes some great guitars

so do some other companies though

we're pretty lucky to live in an age saturated with guitar
Quote by Skeet UK