i feel like all i do when i dont play chords is end up noodling around. even all of my solos while im jamming with my friends seem like aimless tangents. i suppose anther underlying question is how to add more structure or "direction/purpose" to my solos, while still being able to be pretty flowing and free with them
The best way is to memorize what your licks sound like, so your solos come from the same place your speech does. I know this sounds really esoteric, but one of the best things I ever learned how to do for my improv was sing the solo at the same time I'm playing it. I always know what the note will sound like before I play it, and it's done wonders for my phrasing.
wow i just llightly sang along with a little run, and it felt a lot better, danke schon
definitely not bad i get a lot of ideas from noodling. lots of progressions can be made that way. which lead to new material.
Ibanez RG1550 Prestige
Schecter C1 Hellraiser
MIJ Ibanez Pro-line 1550
Takamine eg340c
Peavey 6505+ 112 combo
Ibanez Tubescreamer TS- 9
ISP Decimator
MXR M234 Analog Chorus
DeltaLab Digital Delay
Planet Waves Tuner Pedal
POD HD300
Quote by Chaingarden
The best way is to memorize what your licks sound like, so your solos come from the same place your speech does. I know this sounds really esoteric, but one of the best things I ever learned how to do for my improv was sing the solo at the same time I'm playing it. I always know what the note will sound like before I play it, and it's done wonders for my phrasing.

^^^This^^^

Play what you sing, is the best advise you'll ever get.

You'll play with more feeling, and it will instantly improve your phrasing!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
noodling is awesome,especially when your tired,its the only way to get good stuff happening for me
Quote by Chaingarden
I know this sounds really esoteric, but one of the best things I ever learned how to do for my improv was sing the solo at the same time I'm playing it.

es·o·ter·ic 
[es-uh-ter-ik] Show IPA
–adjective
understood by or meant for only the select few who have special knowledge or interest; recondite: poetry full of esoteric allusions.

That doesn't sound REMOTELY esoteric. Perhaps you should understand words before you use them.

That being said, that's relatively solid advice. The other thing that really accelerated my prhasing is to learn how to use silence as technique, and not just as a time between licks.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
"That doesn't sound REMOTELY esoteric. Perhaps you should understand words before you use them."

Maybe you should have googled that word a little longer. It can also mean "difficult to understand", what he typed makes perfect sence.
Quote by AeolianSeventh
Maybe there are gnomes in your air conditioning vents using out-of-phase parabolic speakers to deaden vibrations from a distance.
Last edited by cooper1965 at Apr 29, 2011,
Doodling is the best... especially over other people's music... gets the creative mind working... then you'll hear things that work... and things that REALLY REALLY don't work... then the fun part of figuring out why it doesn't work, etc is all the fun of guitar i think.

But if the rhythm section is bland it's pretty hard to get direction... just trying using dynamics and techniques in your playing... Going quiet is a really powerful soloing technique, and building up with volume is always awsome... Maybe build up through you scales... start quiet and low and work up to loud high and fast.

I've found my playing has opened up a lot more since i focused a bit more on slides, instead of going up and down note for note... skip some notes in a scale...

Hope this helps.

Toodles!
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
its not bad at all. just make sure it goes along with what your trying to say or what feeling you want to get across sound wise. also make sure you dont start using bad technique when improv'n
Quote by cooper1965
Maybe you should have googled that word a little longer. It can also mean "difficult to understand", what he typed makes perfect sence.

A.) I don't need to google words, I know what they mean

B.) It's "sense"

C.) The definition you're quoting of 'difficult to understand' can be expanded to read "Difficult to understand due to lack of information', with synonyms such as abstruse or recondite. It implies that the object is 'difficult to understand' due to a lack of prior knowledge, not just in a global sense. That's also like a tertiary definition, and not a common application of the word.

i.e.
"This algebra is esoteric" is not using it correctly

D.) Since I feel I should bring this somewhat back on topic, one of the exercises I used to do when trying to focus was I would make myself solo with one note. I would find whichever note I felt appropriate, usually I or V, and I would play with it rhythmically, I would bend it, I would dive it with a whammy, I might slide to and from, but I would play only that one note, and challenge myself to make it entertaining.
2006 AND 2007 Ultimate Guitar Best Vocalist

Quote by Magero
Jack - 3:54 AM
I will smoke, and eat and watch Futurama in your honour
Last edited by Spynal at Apr 30, 2011,