My guess is they're Gibson branded strings. My wife owns a GLP with the original strings. I can't tell by looking at them what they are. However, I have a package of Gibson strings. I doubt they make their own strings, so they might be made by D'Addario, or one of the other two or three strings manufacturers out there.
Did a little Googling and evidence seems to point to either D'Addario or GHS as the source. As I mentioned in my last post, there are only a few companies who manufacture strings, so it has to be one of them. Most evidence on the 'net suggests that D'Addario makes their strings.
i think they make custom strings just for internal gibson use.

you can't buy them. unless you buy a gibson.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by AcousticMirror

I've seen heaps of Gibson strings in stores, unless you're trolling.

I doubt it'd be D'Addario that makes Gibson's strings as they make Fender's strings. Probably GHS if they outsource them as an above poster mentioned.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Quote by AcousticMirror

I heard if you use anything but Gibson strings on a Gibson, your neck snaps. I broke my D string during a gig once and the only replacement string available was an Ernie Ball slinky. Luckily it was only one string and the only damage it did was crack the tuning peg.
Last edited by al112987 at Apr 29, 2011,
ya the strings that you see for sale at the store aren't the gibson stock strings. they are just rebranded "gibson" strings to make your guitar feel cool.

the custom shop makes its own strings.
Prs se Holcomb is the answer
Quote by al112987
I heard if you use anything but Gibson strings on a Gibson, your neck snaps. I broke my D string during a gig once and the only replacement string available was an Ernie Ball slinky. Luckily it was only one string and the only damage it did was crack the tuning peg.

I have only once bought a brand new Gibson and immediately pulled the stock 10s off and replaced with Ernie Ball 11s. A couple of times over the years I have bought Gibson-branded; usually when they have been in the specials bin in stores and slung them in the case/gig-bag as back ups for those occasions that I break a single string on what is otherwise a fresh set.
It's an opinion. It's subjective. And I'm right, anyway.
gibson .10 brite wires.
my personal favorite type of strings.
also gibson always sends them out of factory with .10's as far as i know.
well thanks for the info, i have never seen the gibson strings in stores, maybe i just wasnt paying attention
Quote by al112987

i dont think the neck snaps if you use different strings because then gibsons would not be worth it. it shouldnt snap. Also i know plenty of people who use D'addario strings on gibsons and their guitars are fine
Quote by al112987
I heard if you use anything but Gibson strings on a Gibson, your neck snaps.

This really doesn't make any sense, no offense.

You can use different strings for your Gibson. Don't worry.
Music Man JPX 6
Ibanez RGT220H
Fender 50th Anniversary Deluxe Strat
93 Jackson Std Professional (Japan)
03 Gibson LP Special
Alvarez AD60SC

Mesa Single Rectifier/Mesa 4x12 cab
Mesa Transatlantic TA-15
Hughes & Kettner Triplex
@Unicronus and 3074326 - you've been trolled
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Theres literally like 3 companies that actually make guitar strings. Everybody else just buys from them.
Quote by al112987
I heard if you use anything but Gibson strings on a Gibson, your neck snaps.

Obviously, you heard wrong.
"Notes are expensive, spend them wisely." - B.B. King