So, my problem with barre chords is, my hard should be square to the neck right?

Well, when I try to play an Em Barre, my middle finger likes to bend to the side and nearly rest on my index when playing on the first fret.

Note: I'm just starting to work on barre chords. I remember saying I wasn't going to, but there are far to many songs I listen to that require them, and I don't feel like moving on to easier songs anymore.
I could explain, but I don't know what exactly to help you with, unless I see you play. Try searching youtube or getting a book of some sort that can help. Could you explain exactly how you're holding the guitar?
I'm so happy. I get to eat a muffin.
Quote by space aids
You are so happy to eat a muffin it's kinda scary.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Goes around tryina light dudes on fire.
Quote by MakinLattes
Too much Sublime.

I tell a lie, there is no such thing.
Quote by Robbin'TheHood
I could explain, but I don't know what exactly to help you with, unless I see you play. Try searching youtube or getting a book of some sort that can help. Could you explain exactly how you're holding the guitar?

Just the regular way, I play acoustic. I do NOT hold it in the classical position, nor do I want to. I don't find it real comfortable.

Also, I have scoured the web the past couple days. Its only until now I have decided to come ask here.
Try focusing on getting the bar part down first, it takes time to get consistent, I find the a bars easiest, might want to start there
Quote by openedmind
Try focusing on getting the bar part down first, it takes time to get consistent, I find the a bars easiest, might want to start there

That part isn't TOO hard for me, I can get them to ring out almost all clear. My middle finger resting on my barred finger though, is what I'm finding to be a problem more then the barre its self.
what do you mean by resting on your barre finger? like it touches?

maybe you should take a picture of it so we can actually see what you are talking about....
Quote by Dirk Gently
Some pieces are only meant to be played by people with six fingers on their fretting hand. Sorry.
Quote by Halt
That part isn't TOO hard for me, I can get them to ring out almost all clear. My middle finger resting on my barred finger though, is what I'm finding to be a problem more then the barre its self.

Move it out of the way. As long as it doesn't actually hurt, this might be awkward and uncomfortable, but any way that works is fine. Personally, I put my middle finger out like I'm doing an Emaj barre but hold the finger above the string so it doesn't play. This makes it easy to switch to an Emaj/Amin shape if I need to, but it's all preference - as long as the finger's out of the way and not messing you up, it's fine. If it's riding on your index oddly, just get used to cocking it somewhere else if you need to.
modes are a social construct
It's hard to take a picture at the same time as holding the barre. But anyways, that middle finger rests on the barre, and makes it incredibly hard to move up and down.

Actually, its pretty uncomfortable, with that middle finger all bent to the side like that.

When I'm on higher frets, its not so bad, but on the first and such its pretty tough, and makes it harder then it has to be.

http://tinypic.com/r/1sf8cx/7
Last edited by Halt at Apr 29, 2011,
just try and get action right first then play chord,dont worry if its muffled it just takes a while to get it right,there a real prick when u first start them
Quote by austhrax
just try and get action right first then play chord,dont worry if its muffled it just takes a while to get it right,there a real prick when u first start them

Again, that isn't the problem. I can Barre on the higher frets, far from perfect, but I can do it. Now on the lowest fret, My Middle finger rolls over when I put pressure down to barre. Actually it does this everywhere on the neck when i barre. The lower frets i just can't control it. So it rolls over and I can't barre,

Is there a reason why my middle finger is just rolling over? It basically leans on my barring index finger.

Makes it super hard to barre at all.

Not to sound arrogant or anything, I understand the whole "keep working at it stuff" I would if I could just find out why my middle finger is just throwing in the towel.
Quote by Halt
Just the regular way, I play acoustic. I do NOT hold it in the classical position, nor do I want to. I don't find it real comfortable.

Also, I have scoured the web the past couple days. Its only until now I have decided to come ask here.

if you don't hold it in the classical (im assuming u have ur thumb hanging over the fretboard), why not use the thumb to fret the low E?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
if you don't hold it in the classical (im assuming u have ur thumb hanging over the fretboard), why not use the thumb to fret the low E?

For an Em Barre chord? what?
oops sorry, please disregard my post...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
I used to have this problem and its addressed pretty well in this video

http://www.justinguitar.com/en/IM-111-EShapeMajorMinorBarreChords.php

I think as your muscle gets stronger and your barre gets firmer it will be easier to put your middle finger straight. Also try moving your wrist and thumb about to find whats most comfortable for you. These chords can be really tricky and uncomfortable until you get used to them.
If the barre chord sounds good... i don't see what the problem is?
- Ibanez S470 (2004)
- late 70's vintage Fender Stratocaster (USA)
- VOX VT100 Amp
- Digitech Whammy Pedal
- Weeping Demon Wah Pedal
- Visual Sound Volume Pedal
- MXR Micro Amp
Op, it sounds like you need to work on finger strength and independence more than anything.

Alot of people use their middle finger to help barre when they first start because it's easier than doing it with one finger. Because that one finger obviously has to be pretty strong. The problem with that is eventually that middle finger gets use to always helping out, so it will start to lose some of its independance. Because it will always want to go help your index finger barre. And you'll also be limiting the strength in your index finger if your middle is always there to help.

I would take some time and practice playing with your middle finger where you would have it for a Emaj just like Hail recommended thats what I do as well. It's going to be a little akward at first but stick with it and you'll get it figured out.
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TheMooseKnuckle
Op, it sounds like you need to work on finger strength and independence more than anything.

Alot of people use their middle finger to help barre when they first start because it's easier than doing it with one finger. Because that one finger obviously has to be pretty strong. The problem with that is eventually that middle finger gets use to always helping out, so it will start to lose some of its independance. Because it will always want to go help your index finger barre. And you'll also be limiting the strength in your index finger if your middle is always there to help.

I would take some time and practice playing with your middle finger where you would have it for a Emaj just like Hail recommended thats what I do as well. It's going to be a little akward at first but stick with it and you'll get it figured out.

Ahh, So I was right. I was on the lines of thinking it was finger independence and finger strength when talking to my brother about it. Because essentially, the index barre steals all the strength from the middle finger to barre on lower frets. My fingers just don't have the strength to stay parallel to the neck on lower frets when barring I guess.
Quote by Halt
Ahh, So I was right. I was on the lines of thinking it was finger independence and finger strength when talking to my brother about it. Because essentially, the index barre steals all the strength from the middle finger to barre on lower frets. My fingers just don't have the strength to stay parallel to the neck on lower frets when barring I guess.

Keep in mind without actually seeing you play, its a guess.. same as everyone else on this thread.

But I think it's a pretty safe guess

Luckily since your just starting, you won't have ingraned any bad habbits yet. The sooner you keep that index finger straight, and work on independance the better it will be. The strength will come in time, simply by playing so you dont have to worry to much about that. It may feel a bit akward at first, but it will be loads easier to change your technique now, than if you were to wait a year and then try and change it!
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.