I've never had to do this before and really I can't afford to pay anyone to do it right now, so please bear with me and help me out. I've got a Fender HSS.

Here's my brand new JB I just got in the mail today...

Here's my stock pickup already installed (the thick black cord on the left)

Here's another picture of the same thing

Question
Do I just take my red, white, green, and black cords from my JB and replace them where the stock pickup cords are? Is it that easy?
Why do you want a Justin Beiber on your guitar? Do you want it to sound girly?
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Quote by honkytown

Question
Do I just take my red, white, green, and black cords from my JB and replace them where the stock pickup cords are? Is it that easy?

yes

also
http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1019006

v .....good point
Last edited by 311ZOSOVHJH at Apr 29, 2011,
IMPORTANT: Not all pickup manufacturers use the same colors for each lead. Be sure to look up the difference between color coding for a Fender stock pickup and a Seymour Duncan. Other than that, just match them up, according to purpose and not color.

Quote by jakesc8
Why do you want a Justin Beiber on your guitar? Do you want it to sound girly?

Dude you're on a streak of just not being good at what's going on in the thread you're in. You should go to bed or something.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Last edited by Reisgar42 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by jakesc8

Quote by Joshua Garcia
my chemical romance are a bunch of homos making love to a mic and you like that cuz your a huge gay wad. You should feel pathetic for being such a gaywad you gay mcr loving gaywad olllol.
Quote by Reisgar42

FAILED TROLL

DOESN'T CARE
Spread Hope Like Fire

Angels and Airwaves

Et Ducit Mundum Per Lucem
Quote by al112987
Cool, be unhelpful and drop an incredibly lame and unfunny joke.

To the TS: this will help

http://www.guitar-repairs.co.uk/guitar_pickup_colour_codes.htm

Unfortunately different pickup manufacturers use different color codes. It's really dumb, but it is what it is.

This looks really useful, but for some reason I just don't really understand it

Is it possible that anyone could walk me through this step by step? I just want to hook this thing up the standard way and not **** it up. Please somebody? I'm pretty desperate right now...
Its very easy just match the colors between the Fender humbucker and Seymour Duncan humbucker... so instead of the red wire being grounded on the pot, the green wire on the Duncan gets grounded, instead of the green wire going to the output, the black wire on the Duncan goes to the output and so on.
Quote by ethan_hanus
Use this diagram, it's fool proof, I use it all the time for my strat, and it works perfectly.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as

TS, before you ask, yes, single-coil sized humbuckers use the same wires as normal-sized humbuckers. This is what you're looking for.
Quote by Joshua Garcia
OK, it's starting to make more sense now, but can somebody tell me what this 2nd wire is? (I guess it's a wire??) It's right next to the white one.
solder the bare wire to either a pot casing, or just "ground".
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ethan_hanus
Use this diagram, it's fool proof, I use it all the time for my strat, and it works perfectly.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w_as

What is that soldered next to the green wire? And what's going on with that red wire & what's next to it??

I know I'm being a pest, but PLEASE help. I'm not a noob guitarist, I've just never had to change my pickups before
next to the green wire is the "bare" wire, second from the left in that pic.

red/white wire are BOTH soldered to that one terminal on the switch, so they can be split when it's in the 2nd (bridge/mid) position of the switch. black is the primary signal, but you have to solder the red + white wires together, or you'll have a very weak sound.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
next to the green wire is the "bare" wire, second from the left in that pic.

red/white wire are BOTH soldered to that one terminal on the switch, so they can be split when it's in the 2nd (bridge/mid) position of the switch. black is the primary signal, but you have to solder the red + white wires together, or you'll have a very weak sound.

OMG thank you so much I finally get it! I don't feel as retarded anymore And thanks to EVERYBODY for having patience instead of just ignoring me. Seriously, thank you.
don't be bummed if it doesn't work the first time tho. it's rather confusing, but there will be a way to fix it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Just to be a little more clear.

The green and bare wires at the pot replace your red wire.
The red and the white wires at the switch replace your white and black wires.
And the black wire replaces your green wire.

I'm confident this is right.
Good luck.

EDIT: Just noticed this link was already posted.
Jackson DK-2 [2004 MIJ] (EMG 81/SA)
Jackson RR-3 [2007 MIJ] (EMG 81/60)
Ibanez RG370DX [2009] (EMG 81/60)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom [2004] (EMG 81/85)
Ltd/Esp M-17 7-String [2013] (EMG 81-7 set)
Bugera 333XL 120watt Tube Head, Crate BV412 Cab
Last edited by Chaz-6(sic)6 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by Chaz-6(sic)6
Just to be a little more clear.

The green and bare wires at the pot replace your red wire.
The red and the white wires at the switch replace your white and black wires.
And the black wire replaces your green wire.

I'm confident this is right.
Good luck.

EDIT: Just noticed this link was already posted.

Ok cool...Team CoCo all the way
Quote by honkytown
What is that soldered next to the green wire? And what's going on with that red wire & what's next to it??

I know I'm being a pest, but PLEASE help. I'm not a noob guitarist, I've just never had to change my pickups before

The wire next to the green wire is your bare wire, or your ground wire for the pickup, that solders to the outside of the volume pot.

Ignore the bare wire that's running next to the red wire, that's a secondary place that you can run the bare wire if you want to I think, but 4 conductor wire doesn't have two bare wires, so yeah, ignore it. It's not 4 conductor though....oh well.

Just wire up your guitar exactly like the picture shows and you'll be fine.

EDIT: Crap, I actually gave you the wrong diagram, you actually want this one, I'm really sorry dude, I didn't look at it close enough. This is the diagram for a standard HSS Strat set up.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/wiring-diagrams/schematics.php?schematic=1h_2s_1v_2t_5w
Last edited by ethan_hanus at Apr 29, 2011,
Protip: don't string your guitar up immediately after you've wired it. Plug it in and tap the pickup magnets lightly with a screwdriver or some other piece of metal. You should be able to hear the tapping through the amp.

There's nothing more frustrating than restringing a guitar (especially a strat) and then realizing you wired the pickup wrong.
Quote by Roc8995
Protip: don't string your guitar up immediately after you've wired it. Plug it in and tap the pickup magnets lightly with a screwdriver or some other piece of metal. You should be able to hear the tapping through the amp.

There's nothing more frustrating than restringing a guitar (especially a strat) and then realizing you wired the pickup wrong.

Thanks a lot for this