Sorry if this is a repost but I searched on here for anything related to basses and palm muted guitars. But apparently purists of metal bass play finger style, which eliminates any palm muting. I personally use a pick so if the guitarist is doing triplets, or just fast thrashy muting, I'm assuming I can play the note open, instead of palm muting like a guitar. I"ve tried palm muting my lines when recording, but it just sounded choked off. Also this may not be a good example, but I've noticed a lot of metalcore bassists don't necessarilly palm mute during really chugging riffs or "breakdowns" lol. I also looked up Killswitch Engage's bass line for Guitar Hero, & its just open notes. So I guess I'm good to go, playing notes open, while the guitar palm mutes it...?
Last edited by Deceived91352 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by Deceived91352
But apparently elitists of metal bass play finger style

Fixed

On topic, listen to the intro of "Poison Was the Cure" for some bass palm muting
Last edited by pwrmax at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by Deceived91352
But apparently some people of metal bass play finger style

Actually fixed.

Just use a pick, no one but idiots with think any less of you. I'd recommend an OD pedal too.
Quote by Spaz91
Actually fixed.

Just use a pick, no one but idiots with think any less of you. I'd recommend an OD pedal too.

+1

Not my kind of music, but I know what you're referring to, and I suspect you're going to get it to sound best if using a pick by not palm muting. If you're capable of applying enough control while playing quickly, simply play staccato instead. Listen to the sort of galloping in Muse's Knights of Cydonia on the bass in the beginning section as an example, that's using staccato and played with a pick and overdrive.
do whatever you like.No one can tell you not to do something.If it sounds good,do it,if it sounds terrible,then obviously don't do it.
Seagulls,the chicken of the ocean.

Originally posted by Gunpowder:
Everyone just jumps on the bandwagon and gives the same advice in these situations. You know what? I'm going to be different. Call the firemen.
Quote by pwrmax
Fixed

On topic, listen to the intro of "Poison Was the Cure" for some bass palm muting

No kidding . I got that impression simply because I come across all these guys doing cannible corpse etc covers w ridiculous 4 finger picking chops, & the guys w the two hand tapping and sweeping and such. Ya but I'm perfectly happy w my little pick, it works I'm not in it to win the talent contest.
Mike D. of Killswitch Engage does a lot of palm muting on bass. I used to hate pick style and ripped on it until I joined another band where I have to use one on most if there songs because of the attack and strumming patterns I can't with finger style. It made me appreciate pick style because it's a lot harder for me than finger style.