Hey Pit, tomorrow I'm going to put a Fender FM100 head and Fender Metalhead 412 cab on layaway. For both, it's costing me $400CAN. I'm getting them from my local pawn shop. I do have rather diverse playing styles, and metal is often one of them. So, from those who have used these things or own them, is this a good deal? Is it possible to get a good metal tone with such a combination? Cheers, thanks!
No, to both questions.

I think you can get an Ibanez Tone Blaster head for the same price as the FM, which would be better for metal, but is still not very good.

At that budget your best option is a combo. A Bugera 333 of some sort would be a good choice for versatility.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
To get a metal tone you will need to set it up as a horizontal stack as follows:

If that doesn't have enough gain then pick up a DS-1 and try this out:

Gibson Les Paul Standard 2004
Fender Telecaster Custom 72RI 2009
PEDALZ
Ashdown Fallen Angel 60DSP
Fender Blues Junior
Ashton MPA100
Last edited by Redstar5wp at Apr 30, 2011,
have you actually tried the amp?

especially if you are putting it on layaway and then saving up for / paying off incrementally.
just save up your money till you have enough then go shopping rather than deciding before you can purchase it outright.
^ This.

Man, if you're saving 400 clams why not save more? Get something worth a cent rather than some crappy quality amp.
Quote by SlackerBabbath
My ideal woman would be a grossly overweight woman who would happy go jogging, come home all sweaty and let me put my dick under her armpit while she shuffles a pack of cards.

Stay classy, pit.