Page 1 of 2
If you are unemployed right now, how hard of a time are you having getting a job? Is it hard getting a minimum wage job? Most people I know are having no luck getting so much as an interview at fast food places, even.

Why is that? Are they just lazy or is it really that bad? How long should it take for someone to get a job?

I ask because my friend and I are in an argument at the moment. He keeps telling me if people just work hard they can get a minimum wage job in no time, and if not they're just lazy. But I disagree. It wasn't that way for me. It took me a while to get a job and I worked HARD. I filled out countless applications, I put effort into shaping an appealing appearance and behavior, and I followed up always. It's probably relative depending on where you live though. What about you, Pit?
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
It's fuçking impossible to get a job if you're not all extroverted and friendly.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Quote by rgrockr
It's fuçking impossible to get a job if you're not all extroverted and friendly.

This.
Check out my band Disturbed
It would be pretty easy for me, really. I'd just go to the city, look for shops that have a sign saying "We need to hire someone new bla bla bla", walk in and ask them about it. I'm pretty sure one out of 20 will hire me.
TS you just have to keep on trying.
Thor! Odin's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Your destiny awaits Thor! Hlödyn's son Protector of mankind Ride to meet your fate Ragnarök awaits

E-ARCH NEMESIS of girlgerms007
nope not where I live. If your 18 or older with a high school diploma and a valid drivers license (sometimes you don't even need that) then you can walk into almost any oil company and get a job that starts you at $22/hr. You'll either be a floor hand on a rig or a swamper and it's complete mindless bitch work.

I choose to make less and do what I like working repair/sales in the local guitar shop.. I couldn't wake up every morning knowing I have to do something I hate.
Quote by Wikipedia.org
These nouns are often used with a form of "to be" rather than "to have," e.g., "he is pwnage" rather than "he has pwnage". Either is a more emphatic way of expressing the simpler "he pwns,"
Quote by rgrockr

Not this. If you have half a brain and you aren't a complete douche you can get AND keep a job. You don't even need to be good at it, just competent. It is however hard to get the job you want, i.e. airbrushing paint clothing onto naked models. To start take anything, I washed dishes, and to be honest, it was awesome....ipod, didn't have to talk to anyone, got free food when the kitchen gets an order wrong...
If your parents never had children, chances are, you wont either.

Member #2 of Kerry/Edwards fanclub
Depends on your area and what you're willing to do.

I live in central IL, I refuse to work on a farm, and there for have nearly no chance of ever finding work here.
Quote by fail
If you are unemployed right now, how hard of a time are you having getting a job? Is it hard getting a minimum wage job? Most people I know are having no luck getting so much as an interview at fast food places, even.

Why is that? Are they just lazy or is it really that bad? How long should it take for someone to get a job?

I ask because my friend and I are in an argument at the moment. He keeps telling me if people just work hard they can get a minimum wage job in no time, and if not they're just lazy. But I disagree. It wasn't that way for me. It took me a while to get a job and I worked HARD. I filled out countless applications, I put effort into shaping an appealing appearance and behavior, and I followed up always. It's probably relative depending on where you live though. What about you, Pit?

That's a pretty ignorant view, to be honest. Maybe some years back it was as easy as filling out an application, but getting ANY job is pretty difficult nowadays without a head start.

Late last year I was looking for a minimum wage job to get some money for the holidays and I applied to over twenty places (some multiple times) and got only three interviews. The only offer I did end up getting was a seasonal job that only lasted about two months at toys r us, and they were on a hiring spree anyway. I've got a job lined up for the summer, but again it's seasonal and it's only because I have a connection with the staff.

My sister's an elementary school teacher and she's been job hunting lately too. She's basically applied to every school within an hour's drive and she only got one (crappy) offer. She might have to work minimum wage soon to get by.

It's tough out there. The idea that getting a job is as easy as applying went out the window, along with the idea that buying and selling houses is easy.
Just went up to the fish and chips shop I usually buy from after school, asked for a job, and they pretty much just said yes. No paperwork or any of that. Not even any training haha.
The only I jobs I get are seasonal. I've applied to all sorts of places and yes even fast food places but no luck.
STಠ_ಠ
Quote by rgrockr

You had 12 years of social contact in school to learn how to do this, or at least pretend to do this.
:3
There's a lot of part time and full time retail jobs around here at the moment. I'd get one if I wasn't swamped with uni work and decided I wanted some meagre amount of a social life. I get by though so it's all good atm. I'll probably get a temp job in the holidays.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Quote by Andrea55
The only I jobs I get are seasonal. I've applied to all sorts of places and yes even fast food places but no luck.

That describes my work history exactly.

Quote by rgrockr

I am extroverted and friendly, but I'm not even getting to the interview process for most job applications, and if I do, there's always someone with more experience.

And anyone with a career-type job doesn't understand why you're unemployed. "Oh, you should try harder." "You need to get off your ass." There's not much you can do when no one even considers you.

I'm about decided on gunsmith school and just doing that shit til I die... who needs to be able to support a future wife and kids anyway...
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
I'm not sure how if differs between different regions and countries, but it also depends on what job you're after. I'm in Sydney, Australia, and one of my mates took the best part of a year to get a job, although it wasn't exectly a run-of-the-mill, basic wage job. However, pretty much everyone I know has worked at McDonalds, and they all got thos jobs a couple of weeks after starting looking around. I guess it just depends on what you wanna do.
Not hard if you're not a lazy ass and/or have a few friends that can put in a good word for you. No, it is not hard to get a minimum wage job. I've never had to look more than two weeks for one. Even if it is seasonal work, that gives you a few months to find something to go to after it.
Walk into temp service - Fill out 5-10 minutes in forms - check the box (temp to hire preferred) 1 week later you start as long as you pass the drug test. That's how it is out here. It may not be the greatest job ever but you can look for a better job while getting by with what they give you.

EDIT: everyone i know that doesn't have a job isn't even bothering to look or they're only applying for $20/hr+ jobs.

Again, this is where i live. I'm sure some areas have it much worse.
dean edge one 5 string
Schecter studio-4
Samick fairlane-6
Ibanez sb900
Ibanez btb775
Fender p bass special deluxe

Dean Del Sol
Ibanez prestige rg2610

Peavey TKO 65
Peavey vb-2
Quote by the_perdestrian
listen to revelation, for he is wise in the way of bass-fu
Last edited by Revelation at Apr 29, 2011,
It's very hard if you go the resumes-and-applications route. I've only tried that once. Then I figured out how much smoother it is if you meet with whoever's hiring, smile and laugh, make friends, get invited to their family barbecue, then ask them to their face for a job. That's worked twice so far and failed no times.
I'm also looking for a job. Shits not easy.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
Well, I just got a job after 2 months of going to craigslist ads, and the best thing was dropping off a resume door-to-door. In a pinch, employers just go through the stack and pick one. I don't think it is very hard to get a job if you really try at it.
This is why I don't like arguing on the internet.
Quote by damian_91
If only you could back that statement up.
Quote by Zombee
Wolfgang's Philadelphia Study. Look it up yourself.
Quote by damian_91
No need to, absurd generalizations aren't my thing.
I have a masters in programming, a BS in physics, math, and EE. I have no interest in being a teacher so physics and math are out, I only really picked those up because it was like 5 extra classes only...

By the time I finished EE, I was so sick of circuits that to this day I absolutely refuse to have any part in looking at/dealing with them. I seriously wont even pick up a soldering iron to attach a new jack on my guitar.

so all thats left is programming. but **** me. all the programming jobs near where I want to be require 7+ years in specific fields, and some additionally require certain clearances and shit that take ages to get.

my 2 best friends (only remaining friends actually) are manager and assistant manager at a gas station. even they wont hire me.

music shop has had a help wanted sign up for about 3 weeks, he refuses to hire me. which honestly pisses me off because its like my dream job. at the same time though, im kinda ok with it because my number 1 instinct is to beat him up and steal his lunch money. he couldnt possibly be more of a faggy comicbook nerd.

I probably wouldnt pass a drug test anyways. Ive smoked weed 2 or 3 times in the last year or so.
"I can see that we speak the wrong notes."

Warlock NJ Deluxe (haters gonna hate)
Crate EL-10G
I've been looking for ages and been sh*t outta luck. Had a job interview yesterday but don't think I got it, it was a huge group interview. Its crazy hard, in my experience at least.
Spiraling Up Through the Crack in the Sky...

...Leaving Material World Behind...

SOUNDCLOUD

GT - Elite Curbstomp
I live in a small town, but I don't seem to have much problems. Ive been working at this private restaraunt for my area as a dishwasher, but I can fill in almost any position if needed. I make min wage, which is 7.25 here. Im trying out another job in about ann hour, another dishwashing job, probably minimum wage too, but I think they want me as a waiter once they see my working abilities. And I have a delivery job in the works that'll pay 50$ a day, and I dont even have to drive. I just have to arrange the next stops order so we can get it out quicker. But I know in some areas, its much harder to get a job if you dont have connections
Schecter C-1 Classic in Seethru blue <333
Schecter Damien FR
Roland AC-60 acoustic amp
Boss GE-7 EQ
Line6 Ubermetal Distortion
Sigma Dx Acoustic
I only got the job I'm currently doing because I knew someone who worked there. I spent almost a year searching for one before that to no avail.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Sell drugs. Be your own boss.
To be vulnerable is needed most of all, if you intend to truly fall apart.

Quote by due 07
You have no idea how much I don't want to tell stories about my mother's vaginal slime on the internet.

I make music sometimes.
Its pretty hard. The way the economy is, lots of places will only hire people who have experience, leaving a lot of teenagers unemployed
Quote by AeolianSeventh
It's very hard if you go the resumes-and-applications route. I've only tried that once. Then I figured out how much smoother it is if you meet with whoever's hiring, smile and laugh, make friends, get invited to their family barbecue, then ask them to their face for a job. That's worked twice so far and failed no times.

because that isn't developing a connection with it in order to exploit it? i know that i wouldn't be able to do that without feeling like a jerk about it.

and it is hard to find a job if you aren't willing to settle. if you know exactly what you want to do, it is going to be a pain.
Quote by uhh_me?
and it is hard to find a job if you aren't willing to settle. if you know exactly what you want to do, it is going to be a pain.

this.

If you're just looking for a job just to have a job, it's not hard to find SOMETHING to do, if you're willing to work at any hour and do even the most degrading, horrific and soul-sucking jobs imaginable

CALL CENTER JOBS
It's really not that hard to get a job down here in Jacksonville, FL. The only catch is, you need experience. Something I don't have for what there offering. It took me a month just to get a temp job.
Not very hard at all if you actually try.

I applied to a freaking Nuclear Engineering company about a month ago because they needed a technology assistant. I'm a sophomore in college and the job description said they wanted my major, so I applied.

In about a half hour I'm going to leave to go work there, it's my third week so far. Starting pay is $16/hr. I also have a second job on the weekends at CVS/Pharmacy.
PRS SE Custom 22
Peavey Vypyr 30

"When you look into the eyes of a man grown old,
wonder about the secrets gone untold.

When you look into the eyes of a young child,
marvel at the innocence running wild."
it's impossible. I was denied unemployment benefits for being "unwilling to work" and "unwilling to change my school schedule". what I told them, and what they know, is that there is nowhere to apply. applications get rejected, no one's hiring, period. if I wasn't going to school I could get unemployment and food stamps no problem. instead some middle aged moron who can't be bothered to get a job or an education gets benefits, or some chick with four kids, all with different fathers, who'd rather spend the money on beer and smokes than on getting food for her kids. yeah, Oregon, smart.
I've been trying to get a job for ages. It's easy to get a crap job but impossible to get something you enjoy. There's loads of people lining up for fast food joints because their degree didn't get them anything. Most employers standards are now impossibly high for anyone without any sort of qualification and additional education and even then you're not likely to get anywhere.
Networking is almost always an essential factor to have. So I agree with rgrocker that you have to be (or pretend to be) friendly and extroverted. But more than that, you have to actively retain the connections you make and see what they can do for you.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Quote by satanicgurrl
I have a masters in programming, a BS in physics, math, and EE...

...I probably wouldnt pass a drug test anyways. Ive smoked weed 2 or 3 times in the last year or so.

It seems like something is missing from the situation you've described. The only way your story could seem feasible would be if you had some extraordinarily bad trait that would make you unappealing to potential employers. Also, you won't fail a drug test because you smoked 5 months ago.

Have you tried school career fairs, personal connections, usajobs.gov, and everything else? Something's not adding up.
I'm a high school student in southeast Michigan who doesn't know how to drive. So yeah, it's sorta hard for me.
Quote by Highway60Bob
i've always been looking for a good excuse to **** my mom.
It isn't hard. Hell, I just got OFFERED a summer job renting out boats.
Quote by Boonnoo666
Another factor that has grown this myth is a bunch of opinionated guys who really don't know what they're talking about, which to be brutally honest is a bunch of you guys on here.
Page 1 of 2