Hey there guys,

It's probably been years since I've come here for advice, because guitar playing kind of faded from my hobbies over the past couple of years, however, I would like to get back to it.

I'm currently at a university and I've got my electric guitar here - the problem is that I don't have an amp and my pockets are extremely shallow. It is important for me to spend less rather than more for a tiny improvement.

I am not looking to play metal, but pretty much everything else - blues, classic rock, maybe a little alternative. The amps on my menu are:

1. Ibanez GA1G - £14
2. Orange microcrush £28
3. Danelectro Honeytone
4. Fender mini deluxe £29
5. Fender Mini 57 Twin-Amp £32

I also do not have any effects here with me and I am not planning on buying any.

So what do you gurus think? Is there anything else that could be on the radar in that price range?

Thanks
Quote by zwound
Yep.

Ok cool,

can we say your max budget is £40 including postage?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Ok cool,

can we say your max budget is £40 including postage?

Possibly, but I'm pretty iffy paying anything over 30, really, unless it's something amazingly better than in the <30 price range .
Lol ok mate.

Do you have an guitar interface?

1977 Burny FLG70
2004 EBMM JP6
2016 SE Holcolmb
Quote by Tom 1.0
Lol ok mate.

Do you have an guitar interface?

Not sure if you mean an effects processor or one of those USB thingies that plug the guitar into the computer - either way, i've got neither
Hey Dave,

thanks for looking them up on Gumtree. I've had a microcube and a roland 15 before, but I wasn't quite as pleased with the 15 as I was with the microcube - the 15 is a bit of a "keyboard amp".

I would consider them both, though, but they're really far from where I am (Hull) and I simply can't find the funds or time to go and pick one up from far away (Especially considering the amp I'm gonna get is a cheap one - if it was a tube head of somekind, however ...)

So I'm guessing the suggestions I made were no good? I'm liking the price on the Ibanez, but I don't know much about it. I generally like youtube videos on the micro crush, but one downside is that I'm not sure where to get a power supply from and how much it would be.

EDIT: looked up the danelectro - sounds shite
Last edited by zwound at Apr 29, 2011,
im sure you could get it delivered?

the cube15 is well liked around these forums haha especially for a cheap amp at uni (i stupidly took my laney to uni with me it's far too loud)

ill have another look, and yeh those choices aren't the besttt
i'd try get one posted to get the value...

looked at a few peavey rage 158 amps on gumtree, all about 20/25 quid... would be acceptable
i picked up an orange micro crush in an argos store for like 21 quid, packs a little bit of a punch quite a crunchy rock sort of sound to it both with and without the overdrive switched on

3.5mm ear phone jack in the back and a built in tuner, in fact i keep it on my desk where i can't reach my tuner pedal :p

if you're going to get one of these you will be better off in the long run getting a 9V power adaptor cause you might end up going through a lot of batteries and the sound can tail off a bit when the battery is getting low
Quote by funeralllllllll
i picked up an orange micro crush in an argos store for like 21 quid, packs a little bit of a punch quite a crunchy rock sort of sound to it both with and without the overdrive switched on

3.5mm ear phone jack in the back and a built in tuner, in fact i keep it on my desk where i can't reach my tuner pedal :p

if you're going to get one of these you will be better off in the long run getting a 9V power adaptor cause you might end up going through a lot of batteries and the sound can tail off a bit when the battery is getting low

Thanks for the reply! Would you recommend it? What power supply are you using, if you are using one?
Quote by zwound
So I'm guessing the suggestions I made were no good? I'm liking the price on the Ibanez, but I don't know much about it. I generally like youtube videos on the micro crush, but one downside is that I'm not sure where to get a power supply from and how much it would be.

anything DC9V-DC12V @250mA will be fine with it, I repurposed an old EHX power supply I don't need anymore that outputs DC9.6V @ 200mA and it works fine
and in terms of recommendation? yeah it's cool if you're on a budget and I guess you're sharing at uni so you don't want anything too loud :p

it is a little earthy in tone but you can get it sounding slightly cleaner by dialing the volume on your guitar back a bit

for under 30 quid i like it, if theres a shop that stocks them near you im sure they will let you demo one for a minute
I'm very much leaning towards a crush now. Might get a Crush 10 used, seeing how many controls it has and how decent the sound is (Could get used for £30).

What about Vox Pathfinder 15R?
Hey again,

I've narrowed my choice to Orange Crush 12 and Vox pathfinder 15. I can get both for about £40, hopefully, the orange being new, but a display item. The Vox is used but in mint condition. As I understand, they really are very similar in quality, but I'm digging the vox a little bit more right now.

What do you think?

EDIT: That's it, I'm an owner of a good as new Pathfinder 15R
Last edited by zwound at May 1, 2011,