Page 1 of 3
The idea of this thread is that it is used for anything related to ib. You can share essay topics, tell about your experiences with the ib programme, ask questions and so forth. As far as I know, there are multiple people on here who are participating in the IB programme and I though it might be useful for them to combine forces.
For outsiders, the IB programme is an international english language course where a lot of attention is paid to literature and writing.
If anyone is looking for advice on essays or comparative commentaries, get in here!

For info: http://www.ibo.org/
Last edited by vagelier at Apr 29, 2011,
I wish I did IB instead of A-Levels but it's been 6/7 years since I've been at that level so no point in regretting.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

IB History was the worst. I remember slaving for days over that stupid essay thing, only to find that we were just doing it for practice, and we were gonna do the real on next semester. FUUUUU

So after doing two of those awful things, I got out of IB and laughed at all of my classmates for working waaaaay harder than me so that they could get a diploma that had little to no difference in what college they got in.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
So after doing two of those awful things, I got out of IB and laughed at all of my classmates for working waaaaay harder than me so that they could get a diploma that had little to no difference in what college they got in.

It depends, right? As far as I'm told, the degree itself is not that impressive, but it is if you have high grades. I'm aiming for the average 7 (full marks), I hope that I will make it. Gonna be though but in the end you have something that looks good on your curriculum.
Instant bananas?
Imperial Barnstormers?
Improvisational Ballroom dancing?

WTF IS IB????????
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Quote by Jackal58
Instant bananas?
Imperial Barnstormers?
Improvisational Ballroom dancing?

WTF IS IB????????

International Baccalaureate (or however you spell it)
http://www.ibo.org/
Quote by vagelier
It depends, right? As far as I'm told, the degree itself is not that impressive, but it is if you have high grades. I'm aiming for the average 7 (full marks), I hope that I will make it. Gonna be though but in the end you have something that looks good on your curriculum.

Yeah, speaking from experience, having outstanding grades non-IB is better than having average or sub-par IB grades. And even if you get really good grades, don't treat it as a one-way ticket to get into any college you want. The prestige of IB is very overhyped, but I still have a ton of respect for anyone with enough willpower to slave through the whole program.
R.I.P. M.C.A.
Tweet at me bro
lushacrous loves you
Quote by blake1221
Don't be ludicrous, lushacrous.
Quote by Gunpowder
that joke regarding your username was NOT originally posted by blake1221. That was a Gunpowder original.

I INVOKE SOPA TO SMITE YE FOR THIS FALSEHOOD.
Quote by lushacrous
Yeah, speaking from experience, having outstanding grades non-IB is better than having average or sub-par IB grades. And even if you get really good grades, don't treat it as a one-way ticket to get into any college you want. The prestige of IB is very overhyped, but I still have a ton of respect for anyone with enough willpower to slave through the whole program.

Yeah well, chances are my other grades won't be too great, but I'd rather focus on the ib programme because it seems more possible. I don't know if all of the hard work will pay off, it's just that I'd like to see at least one high grade on my list
Quote by vagelier
International Baccalaureate (or however you spell it)
http://www.ibo.org/

Just looked on this site, there's a state-funded IB school where I used to live... In the US. Y'all's educatin' is gettin' mixed in wit' me' educatin', an' I dun' know if'n I like it r' not.
Quote by L2112Lif
Just looked on this site, there's a state-funded IB school where I used to live... In the US. Y'all's educatin' is gettin' mixed in wit' me' educatin', an' I dun' know if'n I like it r' not.

Where I live - Netherlands - it's just an extra course that you can take. Y'all just disrespectin' fur nuthin'
HA! I finished that sucker 3 years ago!!
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."
I graduated from IB last year.

Don't do that shit, it's useless and extra work for nothing. A Levels is so much easier and universities will not suck your dick if you did the IB (unlike what IB teachers say).
It's a waste of time if you dont plan on going to school internationally.

/thread

also this:
Quote by lushacrous
Yeah, speaking from experience, having outstanding grades non-IB is better than having average or sub-par IB grades. And even if you get really good grades, don't treat it as a one-way ticket to get into any college you want.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Last edited by ma_tt11 at Apr 29, 2011,
What about the mental qualities attained? As in, you learn how to write essays and the likes. Can't hurt.
Quote by vagelier
What about the mental qualities attained? As in, you learn how to write essays and the likes. Can't hurt.

Learning to write essays is something that you should learn in highschool anyways. My IB english course was complete bullshit. In all honesty, take a history class where you're required to write a paper, and that will teach you more about writing a paper than IB english ever will.
Ball Custom Mark I

Korg Pitchblack > Dunlop Crybaby wah > mODDball audio Green Bastard > Marshall GV2 Guv'nor Plus > EHX Holy Stain > MXR Phase 90 > MXR Carbon Copy

Jet City JCA20h
Epiphone Valve Jr.
Blackstar HTV212
Quote by ma_tt11
Learning to write essays is something that you should learn in highschool anyways. My IB english course was complete bullshit. In all honesty, take a history class where you're required to write a paper, and that will teach you more about writing a paper than IB english ever will.

In comparison to people who don't do IB, I can definetely say that the IB course improved my english an enormous deal and that I learned a great deal from it. Also in the media and culture sector.
Quote by vagelier

I'd agree with this usually, but I took AP classes (You guys know them, right?)... And they're almost completely worthless unless you do well on the exams. I got a B in AP Music Theory, but didn't take the AP test, so the credit doesn't transfer (On the other hand, I took AP English, bombed, took the test, got a 3, and that didn't transfer either)...

If the intangibles are what you're looking for, then I'd say look into it. I don't know, because I've never taken an IB class and the only thing I have to compare it to is AP, and I suspect that they're two COMPLETELY DIFFERENT things.
Reviving this thread because I'm starting IB on Monday and don't know what the fuck to expect.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Expect a lot of pretentious bullshit and an agenda that will get you nowhere.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Look on the far left of OP's webpage.

Ruth 'Bonner'

return 0;

Quote by jsync
And I've eaten at some of Australia's best pizzerias.

SOUNDCLOUD
. com / fancy-elle
Quote by Julz127
Look on the far left of OP's webpage.

Ruth 'Bonner'

I dun geddit.
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Alvarez SLM
Orange Dark Terror
Orange PPC212OB 2x12 cab
Yamaha P-85 Keyboard
Finished IB this year, it wasn't as difficult as everyone makes it out to be (unless you want to get 7 in every subject, but then again, if you choose subjects wisely it's not impossible)

Forza Juve

'e voglia 'e mettere rum, chi nasce strunz' nun po' addiventà babbà
Quote by Harmonius
I wish I did IB instead of A-Levels but it's been 6/7 years since I've been at that level so no point in regretting.

This. Our counterpart sucks monkey ass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but can't you Americans just skip Freshman year if you take IB?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Last edited by sfaune92 at Aug 21, 2011,
I am in my final year and I feel like I did a stupid decision taking the IB. I currently get only average grades (straight line of 5s). But then again if I actually studied I could maybe improve them.

I have no idea what the fukk so ever in regards to what to do after the IB.

Oh yeah, CAS and TOK are bullshit.
/bump.

I'm doing my comparative commentary HL exam tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else was too.
Quote by Todd Hart
I've never heard of IB.

I'm not sure whether it's the same everywhere, but for me it is an additional course in HS in english where we learn to write essays and the such.
Quote by vagelier
/bump.

I'm doing my comparative commentary HL exam tomorrow. I was wondering if anyone else was too.

Same, and in addition to that, I got Psych HL P1 tomorrow too.
Quote by Jyrgen
Same, and in addition to that, I got Psych HL P1 tomorrow too.

Shit son. I got two more weeks before my finals. The IB exam is actually planned during my holiday because it needs to be at the exact same moment internationally and whatnot.
Quote by vagelier
Shit son. I got two more weeks before my finals. The IB exam is actually planned during my holiday because it needs to be at the exact same moment internationally and whatnot.

Yeah that's how it goes

For me, my greatest pitfall in earlier CC's has been a failure to talk about the effect of the literary devices in the text. I'm able to identify them and get the general hang of the texts but that's something I should focus more on. I blame a shortage of time. If I plan 30 minutes before writing, the remaining 90 min is still not enough.

In general all IB exams are a race against time.
Quote by Jyrgen

In general all exams are a race against time.

Doesn't happen in just IB young fella, exams are designed to be difficult with regards to time.
"People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis; you can't trust people."
Quote by Jyrgen
Yeah that's how it goes

For me, my greatest pitfall in earlier CC's has been a failure to talk about the effect of the literary devices in the text. I'm able to identify them and get the general hang of the texts but that's something I should focus more on. I blame a shortage of time. If I plan 30 minutes before writing, the remaining 90 min is still not enough.

I feels ya. My advice would be don't even mention the literary device if you dont know why the writer used it. I often have this problem with alliteration. "Ya the writer says Big Bob because it emphasizes how big he is... durr" just doesnt seal the deal. I often find myself leaving those out, and try to find points which relate to the main argument of my comparative.
Quote by Jyrgen
Yeah that's how it goes

30 minutes is far too long to be planning for any written exam. And 'technique spotting' is about the worst state you can get yourself into. Remember to... sigh... 'PEE all over your work'. Point Evidence Explanation. If your argument lacks any of those three pieces then it's not worth writing down.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Quote by vagelier
I feels ya. My advice would be don't even mention the literary device if you dont know why the writer used it. I often have this problem with alliteration. "Ya the writer says Big Bob because it emphasizes how big he is... durr" just doesnt seal the deal. I often find myself leaving those out, and try to find points which relate to the main argument of my comparative.

Yeah exactly. It's like I kind of get why those things are there but I may not be good at explaining the whole idea in words.
Quote by Dory77
Doesn't happen in just IB young fella, exams are designed to be difficult with regards to time.

Probably most are. If the IB exams are compared to, say, the Finnish matriculation exams, a comparable high school education thing, they have around 6 hours to do a math paper that's not much longer or more difficult than the ones us IB'ers have to do in 90 minutes. And they can eat and drink during the exam too.

Quote by Todd Hart
30 minutes is far too long to be planning for any written exam. And 'technique spotting' is about the worst state you can get yourself into. Remember to... sigh... 'PEE all over your work'. Point Evidence Explanation. If your argument lacks any of those three pieces then it's not worth writing down.

I take a lot of time to do anything

The feedback my teacher has given to me was that the quality of my ideas is decent but it reads poorly / needs more explanation or something to that effect, so I'll try to remember that and hopefully will get a 5.
Quote by jrcsgtpeppers
**** IB it took my girlfriends soul, way too much pointless work to shit your **** with.

I only found out IB even existed this year (my final year). But no ****s given, because I have no intention on going to any big name or expensive university anyway (even though I probably could).
Page 1 of 3