I'm gonna start of saying that I'm pretty much a theory noob.

So here goes: which scale can I use to solo over Dm, C, Gm chord progression?

Any general tips on how to tell what scales to use are also appreciated.

Thanks!
D minor scale
notes of D minor chord- D, F, A
C major- C, E, G
G minor- G, Bb, D
so the scale should contain the notes D, E, F, G, A, Bb, C which are the notes of D minor scale.
You can also use D minor pentatonic(D, F, G, A, C) as the guy above me said for a different kind of sound depending on the song.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Last edited by hames jetfield at Apr 29, 2011,
Dminor G minor.
Both of these works.
Notice how the characteristics change as you move from G minor to D minor in your soloing.
Quote by liampje
Dminor G minor.
Both of these works.
Notice how the characteristics change as you move from G minor to D minor in your soloing.

Are you suggesting that this progression resolves to both G minor and D minor?

And for the rest of you, are you suggesting that D minor pentatonic sounds very different from D minor?
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Quote by liampje
Dminor G minor.
Both of these works.

G minor won't work here because it contains Eb instead of E.

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by liampje
Oops I made a mistake.

you better not make a mistake here. MT guys are gonna eat you alive

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Quote by hames jetfield
you better not make a mistake here. MT guys are gonna eat you alive

Everyone makes mistakes, dumb people say right things sometimes!
Quote by AlanHB
And for the rest of you, are you suggesting that D minor pentatonic sounds very different from D minor?

How different is very different? It sounds a bit different because there are two notes that aren't there, making four intervals that will be different in a scale run, and a heap of 'tensions' and resolutions that won't apply.

Or is this a case of "everything is really the major scale"?
Quote by Jehannum
How different is very different? It sounds a bit different because there are two notes that aren't there, making four intervals that will be different in a scale run, and a heap of 'tensions' and resolutions that won't apply.

Or is this a case of "everything is really the major scale"?

Over a minor key, the minor pentatonic simply functions as a minor scale. It can't sound different because it is the same scale. Just because you play a scale doesn't mean that you have to play every note. By not playing the other two notes you are simply not playing those two notes, that's all.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
Over a minor key, the minor pentatonic simply functions as a minor scale. It can't sound different because it is the same scale. Just because you play a scale doesn't mean that you have to play every note. By not playing the other two notes you are simply not playing those two notes, that's all.

aw c'mon! Are you saying that minor pentatonic and natural minor are exactly the same? Obviously pentatonic is a part of natural minor but using two extra notes really makes a difference. Let's say pentatonic is a 'limited version' of natural minor.
Last edited by hames jetfield at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by hames jetfield
aw c'mon! Are you saying that minor pentatonic and natural minor are exactly the same? Obviously pentatonic is a part of natural minor but using two extra notes really makes a difference. Let's say pentatonic is a 'limited version' of natural minor.

I'd say they have the same function indeed. And as the key is D minor, the resulting scale will always be some form of the D minor scale. It's not like the key is D minor pentatonic

There nothing wrong with ommiting whatever notes you wish.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I'd say they have the same function indeed. And as the key is D minor, the resulting scale will always be some form of the D minor scale. It's not like the key is D minor pentatonic

There nothing wrong with ommiting whatever notes you wish.

of course the key is D minor but TS asked about the scales not the key. So, suggesting the scales based on minor scale is not wrong is it? Suggesting pentatonic is like telling him which notes he can safely ommit from the natural minor and still sound good(and different). You can also suggest more scales in this key(I don't really know any other common ones)
Quote by hames jetfield
of course the key is D minor but TS asked about the scales not the key. So, suggesting the scales based on minor scale is not wrong is it? Suggesting pentatonic is like telling him which notes he can safely ommit from the natural minor and still sound good(and different). You can also suggest more scales in this key(I don't really know any other common ones)

Well you could also use the minor penatonic over a major progression too. It would function as the major scale with accidentals. As the TS is a self-proclaimed "theory noob" I think it's better to point him in the direction of the scale related to the key of the song. I don't think the minor pentatonic sounds different than minor in songs with a minor key because they share the same notes and those notes have the same function in both scales. However if you think they sound different that's cool and I accept it.

Another common scale is the blues scale, which we can fight about too, but will both agree it has an accidental b5
Soundcloud
Quote by Zanon
D minor

you're too late. Hurr hurr

Quote by laid-to-waste

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000