Hey all. I'm being a good brother and helping my bassist younger brother out by getting him a couple of pedals for his rig, since it lacks any flavour, being essentially a very very clean practice amp and his bass. The amp is fine for what he uses it for, because he doesn't do anything except practice with it.

Anyway, because I also occasionally use his rig, I'm looking into acquiring some pedals for it. I missed out on a Zoom B1 for $89 Australian yesterday, and I can't afford the next cheapest multifx. Besides, most of the stuff on there he wont use.

I'm set on picking up an EHX Doctor Q. He plays quite a bit of funk, and also some Metallica stuff that requires a wah/auto wah, so I think this is a good idea.

I'd also like to get a drive/fuzz pedal of some sort. However, since the Doctor Q will occupy most of my budget, the max I can spend is 50 USD. The pedals I've looked at for drive are the EHX LPB-1 and Nano Muff and the Boss SD-1. I realise these are guitar pedals, but my question is, how well will any of these work with bass, and what is the opinion of members on this?

I would have posted in GG+A, but I think that since this is specific to bass, the Bass Forum may be a better pathway

tl;dr

Since I live in Australia, I'd like to ship from PGS or Musicians Friend if I have to.

The sounds I/My brother is looking for are the basic auto wah for funk/Metallica stuff, a decent drive for Karnivool/Muse/Porcupine Tree/Feeder stuff.

Budget is.. call it $120 USD for both pedals.

Finally, if anyone has suggestions other than Envelope Filter and Drive/Fuzz, please let me know?

Cheers guys
The essential ones are the ones are the ones he'll actually use.

That being said, compressors are very popular and can be found cheap, aside from that it's really down to what he wants. OzBassForum's Pedal Classifieds is a great place to find used pedals for awesome prices, they realize they're up against the US market when they sell their gear so it's priced VERY well (most of it anyway). About 75% of my pedal board came from guys on there.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
I listed what he wants, I was wondering if anyone else considered something more important than drive/the envelope filter for what he plays. I will check that site out, cheers.

My main question is really how well the drive pedals I listed would work for bass then I guess.
For drive I'm almost always going to recommend the Tech 21 VT Bass, check out some demos on youtube. It's essentially an Ampeg SVT in a box so in addition to being an awesome drive pedal it can be used to give his amp a bit of extra character if he so chooses. You should be able to find one within budget on US eBay.
Can't really speak for the pedals you listed but I really don't recommend using guitar distortion/ODs for bass.
Basses:
Fender Precision Bass
Fender Jazz Bass
1967 Fender Coronado Bass II
Warwick Star Bass
Squier Precision Bass TB
Last edited by consecutive e at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by consecutive e

I really don't recommend using guitar distortion/ODs for bass.

I do!

now... none of the ones OP listed... but there are PLENTY of guitar pedals that sound amazing on bass. I mean, 'bass specific dirt pedals' are a fairly recent thing. All those wonderful vintage RATs and Muffs were guitar pedals, but they're still some of the best dirt you can get for bass. Those are just the POPULAR ones. There are plenty of crazy-amazing sounding pedals from no-name (and bigger name) companies in the 80's sproting that cheap plastic stomp-box shell.

OP... go to a pawn-shop and try out cheap distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals... The big problem when trying dirt on basses is that what you hear on your own will NOT translate to what it will sound like in a band. Unless there is significant low end, the bass WILL be burried under the guitar.

If you don't find the hunt and trying out of pedals as exhillirating as i do, look for a used EHX Bass Muff. You should find one in your price range pretty easily.
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."
I'm very fond of exploiting natural overdrive with boost/tube amps, and while I do like the sound of guitar pedals for bass (the Rat especially!) I feel like the sound isn't versatile enough for me to use in a band environment. I reccomend, like Din said, play around in pawn shops. You'll never know what you find. I play through a Dual-Band compression pedal (another effect I HIGHLY reccomend) that allows me to "swell" my sound and add some dirt, which then feeds into my Wooly Mammoth, arguably the best fuzz pedal out there for bass. My Trace Elliott SMX compression cost me about $25 USD.

tl;dr

Try pedals, give moneyz, receive delicious rock.

MusicMan SUB4
OLP MM2

Gallien-Krueger 1001RB-II / RBH410 x2
Trace Elliot SMX Dual Compressor
Boss CEB-3 Bass Chorus
ZVex Wooly Mammoth Fuzz
Quote by ManInPeril
I'm very fond of exploiting natural overdrive with boost/tube amps, and while I do like the sound of guitar pedals for bass (the Rat especially!) I feel like the sound isn't versatile enough for me to use in a band environment. I reccomend, like Din said, play around in pawn shops. You'll never know what you find. I play through a Dual-Band compression pedal (another effect I HIGHLY reccomend) that allows me to "swell" my sound and add some dirt, which then feeds into my Wooly Mammoth, arguably the best fuzz pedal out there for bass. My Trace Elliott SMX compression cost me about $25 USD.

tl;dr

Try pedals, give moneyz, receive delicious rock.

This.

/bro-hifive
"Punk Rock should mean freedom, liking and accepting anything that you like, as sloppy as you want, as long as it's good and has passion."