To make a long story short...

For years I haven't really used pedals all that much. I just plug my guitar into my amp...dial it in...and play. Quite a while back my dad made be a tubescreamer pedal based on a TS-808 schematic. I never had a tube amplifier, so to me it just sounded like a weak distortion pedal. I put it away and haven't touched it since. Well I just pulled it out again but I have no idea what to do with it. I know some people put it in front of the map, others put it in the FX loop. What purpose does a tubescreamer serve? What are the different applications? I wanna try to find a use for this thing to show my dad I appreciate him building it for me.

-Sincerely the Pedal Noob.
a tube screamer is an overdrive, it's like a more natural less-gain distortion
especially for an OD pedal, put it in front of the amp.
you can use it on the clean channel to get a bit of drive, or change the settings to boost the dirty channel on your amp.
it really depends on the tone you're looking for. there's really no harm in just playing around until you get a sound you like

and I understand that you want to make use of what your dad made, but sometimes the tone you want can be found with just a guitar straight into the amp. So as much as I'm saying play around with the pedal until you get a good tone, sometimes you just may not need an OD to get you the sound you want
That's really cool, almost every guitarist will have use for a good OD pedal like an 808 at some point, and it's got some sentimental value there too.

Like suggested, try a mid gain setting on the TS in front of your clean channel to get some smooth overdrive tones, try setting the gain on 0 and the volume up with the tone to taste in front of your overdrive channel and see if you like what it does to your sound.

Then as suggested just try different settings and listen to it. It'll also make a good solo boost to add some mids and grit for leads and it'll generally give you a bit of tonal variation in your overdriven sound.
Quote by james4
especially for an OD pedal, put it in front of the amp.
you can use it on the clean channel to get a bit of drive, or change the settings to boost the dirty channel on your amp.
it really depends on the tone you're looking for. there's really no harm in just playing around until you get a sound you like

and I understand that you want to make use of what your dad made, but sometimes the tone you want can be found with just a guitar straight into the amp. So as much as I'm saying play around with the pedal until you get a good tone, sometimes you just may not need an OD to get you the sound you want

Yeah Idk if I can use it then. I play my valveking with the gain at 4 and the gain boost engaged. I like a lower gain high, midrange kind of tone. Lots of picking attack and clarity. Maybe boosting my amp won't be a good thing. I suppose I'll just hook it up later today when my classes are over and experiment with it.
Quote by ProgFolk12
That's really cool, almost every guitarist will have use for a good OD pedal like an 808 at some point, and it's got some sentimental value there too.

Like suggested, try a mid gain setting on the TS in front of your clean channel to get some smooth overdrive tones, try setting the gain on 0 and the volume up with the tone to taste in front of your overdrive channel and see if you like what it does to your sound.

Then as suggested just try different settings and listen to it. It'll also make a good solo boost to add some mids and grit for leads and it'll generally give you a bit of tonal variation in your overdriven sound.

Oh so its not totally a gain thing? I'll use it to dirty up my clean channel. Maybe I can get a nice wide open distortion sound.
Quote by Tyler.Allain
Oh so its not totally a gain thing? I'll use it to dirty up my clean channel. Maybe I can get a nice wide open distortion sound.

Yeah you can use it for gain on the clean channel, it should sound decent but maybe wont get you quite the big sound you want? Try it and see I guess.

If you keep the gain right down low and put it in front of the OD channel you'll change the sound rather than actually adding much gain. Tubescreamers generally have a mid hump and less bass than your amp alone, so putting it on the OD channel like that reduces the bass, pushes the mids and generally "tightens" things up. It's commom practice for getting a good heavy tone (so I'm told )

I use my MXR on my OD channel with a reasonable amount of extra gain for a solo boost and a different sound, it gets a much thicker texture. I tend not to use it as a stand alone distortion, but that's just me.
I use the TS9 all the time. Literally. When my amp is on, so is the TS-9. I keep the gain at 0 and the volume maxed. It gives my clean channel just a touch of grit for single notes and arpeggios, and chords start sounding a little chunky. When I'm on my gain channels it kinda tightens up the sound and makes it a little more punchy. Not a huge difference, but I can tell when I forget to turn it on. The notes seem to lack a little bit of bite.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
I would just set it with the level high, gain low, and tone wherever you like it. then just always have it plugged in. sometimes you can kick it on to thicken up your cleans if you want, or you can boost your distortion channel for a solo or heavier part or something. And even if you are never using it as a "boost", just turning it on for some parts will give them a more distinct tone because it will be different.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣