Page 1 of 2
Hey all.
So someone just said music didn't only resolve in half steps.
Then someone said I got that tidbit from him and I asked him why.
Then he answered black magic and made this topic.
So if you have something to complain don't complain at me.
So how does resolvation work in non half steps?
If you're talking about traditional voice leading, a tritone can also resolve in contrary motion to whole steps.

For example, If we are in the key of C minor and about to resolve to tonic, the dominant tritone is F - B. The F moves a WHOLE step down to Eb and the B moves half up to C. In the case of resolving to a minor chord, one member of the tritone will inevitably move a whole step.

PS I think you are moving too fast in your desire to get to more advanced theory. Based on what I've seen from you, you are missing a lot of fundamental understandings. Theory ultimately isn't the microscropic details that you have to memorize as arbitrary facts. Theory, when properly understood, is an understanding of how to logically handle any given musical situation.

...modes and scales are still useless.

Quote by PhoenixGRM
Hey guys could you spare a minute to Vote for my band. Go to the site Search our band Listana with CTRL+F for quick and vote Thank you .
Quote by sam b
Voted for Patron Çıldırdı.

Thanks
Quote by PhoenixGRM
But our Band is Listana
Last edited by Xiaoxi at Apr 29, 2011,
You don't have the perquisite knowledge to begin this yet, do yourself a favor and buy a grade 1 theory book and start from scratch.
Quote by Xiaoxi
If you're talking about traditional voice leading, a tritone can also resolve in contrary motion to whole steps.

For example, If we are in the key of C minor and about to resolve to tonic, the dominant tritone is F - B. The F moves a WHOLE step down to Eb and the B moves half up to C. In the case of resolving to a minor chord, one member of the tritone will inevitably move a whole step.

I mean it as this guy says: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1436369&page=1&pp=20
Quote by liampje
Hey all.
So someone just said music didn't only resolve in half steps.
Then someone said I got that tidbit from him and I asked him why.
Then he answered black magic and made this topic.
So if you have something to complain don't complain at me.
So how does resolvation work in non half steps?

Well, in the Major scale the 2nd step often resolves down a whole step to the root.

That's one example.

Where did you get the idea that music only "resolved in 1/2 steps"?
and what exactly do you think it means to resolve something?
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, in the Major scale the 2nd step often resolves down a whole step to the root.

That's one example.

Where did you get the idea that music only "resolved in 1/2 steps"?
and what exactly do you think it means to resolve something?

Jazz Rock Feel told me in my other resolving thread.
So if the second degree wants to resolve to the first, the tonal center, wouldn't the second degree want to resolve to the third if my tonal center was the third?
I didn't say that. I was talking about tendency tones and how both 4 and 7 resolve in half steps in a major key. That's it. I was just trying to force you out of the idea that there is some set of levels of resolving strength or some other nonsense notion. I was trying to limit the scope of what you were talking about, so I only spoke about leading tones resolving. Why? Because I don't think you even know what you're asking.

To be honest, it's becoming extremely frustrating dealing with you, especially since you've set about being fairly aggressive about people answering your questions, and frankly, it's not our problem you don't understand the question or the answers to them.
Quote by liampje
Jazz Rock Feel told me in my other resolving thread.
So if the second degree wants to resolve to the first, the tonal center, wouldn't the second degree want to resolve to the third if my tonal center was the third?

Well, the 3rd is never the tonal center, it's............. the 3rd.

the root is the tonal center.

btw, I appreciate that your trying to learn, but you really have to take step back and work out the basics. if you really want help with this stuff, I'd be willing to give a couple of free lessons via Skype. I'm around all afternoon today and tomorrow. pm me if interested.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Well, the 3rd is never the tonal center, it's............. the 3rd.

the root is the tonal center.

btw, I appreciate that your trying to learn, but you really have to take step back and work out the basics. if you really want help with this stuff, I'd be willing to give a couple of free lessons via Skype. I'm around all afternoon today and tomorrow. pm me if interested.

I don't actually chat in real time over skype or msn or anything like that.
But what are the basics?
I know my major minor harmonic and melodic minor scales.
I knew how to name every note in the Major.
In C major, Tonic is C supertonic is D mediant is E subdominant is F Dominant is G submediant is A and leading tone is B.
Aren't those the functions?
I know how to construct chords out of every scale I know.
For example C major chords are C major D min E min Fmaj Gmaj Amin and Bdim.
Etc.
I'm beginning to suspect you're a troll.

I - Tonic
II- Supertonic
III-Mediant
IV- Sub-dominant
V-dominant
VI-sub mediant
VIII-leading tone
Quote by liampje
I don't actually chat in real time over skype or msn or anything like that.
But what are the basics?
I know my major minor harmonic and melodic minor scales.
I knew how to name every note in the Major.
In C major, Tonic is C supertonic is D mediant is E subdominant is F Dominant is G submediant is A and leading tone is B.
Aren't those the functions?
I know how to construct chords out of every scale I know.
For example C major chords are C major D min E min Fmaj Gmaj Amin and Bdim.
Etc.

I don't actually give detailed lessons in forum posts. It often gets ignored in favor of the advice thats more appealing to you at the moment, and/or becomes fodder for those looking for something to argue about.
Not worth the effort IME.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by griffRG7321
I'm beginning to suspect you're a troll.

I - Tonic
II- Supertonic
III-Mediant
IV- Sub-dominant
V-dominant
VI-sub mediant
VIII-leading tone

That's what I said.
I said tonic is C supertonic is D mediant is E subdominant is F dominant is G sub mediant is A leading tone is B.
Quote by AlanHB
Take the skype lesson TS.

No, if my parents find out I'm chatting with some dude on skype they will freak out!
EDIT:Some grown up dude who I dont know in real life.
Last edited by liampje at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by liampje
No, if my parents find out I'm chatting with some dude on skype they will freak out!

Get lessons in real life then. You need them.
And no, Guitar Hero will not help. Even on expert. Really.
Soundcloud
Look, if you're unwilling to participate in a Skype lesson, we can talk over PM or something if you'd like. You could talk to Keth as well, he seems willing to talk over PM.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by liampje

Hey man, I don't mind not wasting my time on some kid that I don't know in real life. Was just trying to help.
shred is gaudy music
Quote by GuitarMunky
Hey man, I don't mind not wasting my time on some kid that I don't know in real life. Was just trying to help.

Do you want to do it in PM?
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I'm really starting to believe he IS trolling us.

I was considering this option until I checked out his lydian solo video, and saw in the comments he is passing on flawed knowledge to others also. I don't think you're meant to troll your own youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q220CQyZbiY
Soundcloud
Quote by liampje
What did I said wrong?

I'm not even going to start pointing out what's wrong with those comments.

I think I'll withold from answering in your threads. I don't think you really want to acknowledge that you're wrong, so your learning is severely impeded.
Soundcloud
Quote by AlanHB
I was considering this option until I checked out his lydian solo video, and saw in the comments he is passing on flawed knowledge to others also. I don't think you're meant to troll your own youtube video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q220CQyZbiY

holy crap i think your right. that is so much more worrying than him being a troll.
oh no.... passing on wrong advice? whats wrong with the youth of today?
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by vampirelazarus
oh no.... passing on wrong advice? whats wrong with the youth of today?
I'm not following. Wrong advice?
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Look, if you're unwilling to participate in a Skype lesson, we can talk over PM or something if you'd like. You could talk to Keth as well, he seems willing to talk over PM.

i just messaged him ealier today, building his foundation/basics. i think i can get through to the guy cuz i started by asking him who he wants to sound like (we all know the kids of todays just wanna copy some1 else and think that we can tell them exactly how haha). u probly know more than me but i can say things the guy will actually want to listen to, maybe we can work something out between the 2 of us that'll help this guy out
Quote by TMVATDI
i just messaged him ealier today, building his foundation/basics. i think i can get through to the guy cuz i started by asking him who he wants to sound like (we all know the kids of todays just wanna copy some1 else and think that we can tell them exactly how haha). u probly know more than me but i can say things the guy will actually want to listen to, maybe we can work something out between the 2 of us that'll help this guy out

so because you can ask him who he wants to sound like, you can explain theoretical concepts more clearly than we can?

if you want to go for it, good luck. it seems pretty clear to me that he's convinced that his vast knowledge of misinformation is correct. i'm sure it's not intentional at all, but he's not willing to learn (well, either that, or he's the best damn troll i've ever seen).

good luck. do let me know how it turns out.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
so because you can ask him who he wants to sound like, you can explain theoretical concepts more clearly than we can?

if you want to go for it, good luck. it seems pretty clear to me that he's convinced that his vast knowledge of misinformation is correct. i'm sure it's not intentional at all, but he's not willing to learn (well, either that, or he's the best damn troll i've ever seen).

good luck. do let me know how it turns out.

you TOTALLY took that statement the wrong way. becase i asked him who he wants to sound like, he'll LISTEN to me. if some1 communicates with this guy the right way it'll work out better, and i think since i'm a teenager and just over this last year got out of the same phase this guy is in, i can succeed in getting him to listen. but there are so many people on these forums with so much more experience than me so i still may need help
Quote by food1010
I'm not following. Wrong advice?

just trying to make a funny out of alanhb's post (the one with the youtube link)
Understand nothing, in order to learn everything.

Quote by liampje
I can write a coherent tune ... But 3/4? I play rock, not polka.
Quote by TMVATDI
you TOTALLY took that statement the wrong way. becase i asked him who he wants to sound like, he'll LISTEN to me. if some1 communicates with this guy the right way it'll work out better, and i think since i'm a teenager and just over this last year got out of the same phase this guy is in, i can succeed in getting him to listen. but there are so many people on these forums with so much more experience than me so i still may need help

it's not a matter of being a teenager, or a matter of recently graduating from an area where he is now.

maybe you can get him to listen, but not all people are willing to learn.

best of luck.
Anfangen ist leicht, Beharren eine Kunst.
Quote by AeolianWolf
it's not a matter of being a teenager, or a matter of recently graduating from an area where he is now.

maybe you can get him to listen, but not all people are willing to learn.

best of luck.

Somebody get this forum a cake. I'VE GOTTEN HIM TO FORGET MODES.
Quote by gavk
http://yygundam.files.wordpress.com/2011/01/01072008-the-cake-is-a-lie.jpg

i say the cake is a lie because i don't think anyone could get him to forget modes!

if you have however, i will actually send you a medal, i'm not even joking.

lol i think i have. i just explained to him that everything possible with modes is still possible and in many cases easier without modes.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson

I'm amazed at how persistent some of you can be, I refuse to even get involved in some of these threads.

haha i debate with people. a lot. sometimes loudly. i like to get my points accross.
Quote by Jesse Clarkson

I'm amazed at how persistent some of you can be, I refuse to even get involved in some of these threads.

I used to get into them... but now, I tend to stay out unless something is being left out or wrong information is getting passed along.
Quote by DiminishedFifth
I used to get into them... but now, I tend to stay out unless something is being left out or wrong information is getting passed along.

this guy's passing along wrong information all over youtube
Page 1 of 2