Hi all,

I have heard a lot of people mentioning about following chord changes (as supposed to playing just the scale of the key) in solos.

What does that really mean?

Say I have a chord progression G C D
does it mean I could be playing a C# during the times when the song uses the D chord?

Also, I've got an understanding of the different scale modes, I am not sure when to use them.

I know I can use Aeolian for the natural minors (ex. use B Aeolian on Bm)
I know I can use Dorian for minor 7th (ex. use B Dorian for Bm7)

Is that correct?
What are other places I can use the different modes?

The reason I ask these questions is because I feel like I'm always just playing within the major (or relative minor) of the key I'm in... It sounds kinda boring.

I hope I worded my question properly..
Thanks all!
What that really means is that you choose your notes based on the chord, not the overall key.

This generally means emphasizing the chord tones on the beat. So, if you had that progression you'd be trying to land on

G B or D on the G
C E or G over C
D F# A over D

Go try it out.

The reason I ask these questions is because I feel like I'm always just playing within the major (or relative minor) of the key I'm in... It sounds kinda boring.

Ahem, you can't play in the relative minor of the key you're in. You're just playing in a different part of the same scale (ie, you're just playing in the key you're in ). Just because the fingerboard shape starts on a different note doesn't change anything.
look imma explain it real simple to you, you have to harmonize with the chord being played to sound good and get the effect you want, LIKE THIS

let's say ur about to start a solo, and the solo starts when a big full Em chord is played, now if you start the solo on that chord with a bend from the note A to the note B, you would be playing the b note, with is part of the Em chord, it's the fifth, E G B, see? this would sound great on a rock solo. Now, every note that is part of the scale goes well with the tonic in some way, but you have to think about what you want it to sound like, it's gonna sound more exotic if u play the note A of F# over that Em, and if you start the solo on the note F for example, it will be a lot more dissonant. That solo im describing starts with a long sustained note btw, you could go and try this out and see how different notes sound over each chord.