Question is pretty much in the title

Currently using an extremely cheap stagg cable, how much difference is there between cables? Are the expensive ones really worth shelling out for? Or should I at least get a half decent one?

Any recommendations?

Thanks
Gear
ESP LTD EC-1000 Vintage Black - Orange Tiny Terror Combo

Tama Superstar Custom Hyperdrive w/ Sabian Cymbals
depends, is the answer.

If your gear is good, and your current cables are rubbish, you'll probably hear a difference if your ears are half good at all.

If you keep a pedal switched on all the time, or have a buffered pedal in your fx line-up, you'll probably hear less of a difference (though you may still hear some).

Personally I think it's worthwhile to go up to known good/pro quality ones, without paying an arm or a leg- something like van damme or klotz, where you can get guitar cables for £10-£20 or so.

I'm not sure it's worth paying corksniffer prices.

I'd say in your situation, assuming your gear in your sig is up to date, it'd be worth upgrading to decent quality ones.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I've been wondering this myself.

Best to get some opinions before I go "all out" and order Mogami gold instrument cables, speaker wires, and effect pedal chains.
I asked that question once in a shop and got this answer:

"If you were hanging off the side of a mountain..."
lol man that does make a diference i use a fender cable and it's way better than the cheap one my friend had it was like noise everywhere xD and the fender has a awsome thing that prevents the cable from broke on the start and at the end, i recomend.... but if you cannot buy one like those i recommend the planet waves ones i have 4 and i like them alot.
Living is a bless, most of the people just exist

i'm out of my mind, insane, and what i say is sht or doesn't make sense, still your reading this.
^^ wut?

what does that even mean? (the mountain thing, I mean )
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
The cable itself is usually good enough, but the plugs are rubbish on cheap cables. Buy decent plugs, regular cable, make your own.
Quote by Dave_Mc
^^ wut?

what does that even mean? (the mountain thing, I mean )

He meant if you were hanging off a mountain would you prefer a cheap ass cable holding you up or an expensive one :P

Fair enough I guess, but I think unless a few people give strong opinions about a big difference I'm not going to go for much of an upgrade. Anything more than £20 is a bit much really I think.
Gear

^ would u want good rope or bad rope
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
oh ok.

Yeah I'm pretty sure that's a fail analogy.

Don't get me wrong, I think more expensive cables are better (up to a certain price, anyway), but yeah, the ability to hold me up if I fall off a mountain is pretty low down my list of wants...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
He didn't mean it in this context haha. It's essentially saying you get what you pay for, and if you were buying mountain rope, you'd make sure you got the best.
Gear

As with all things, the better your rig, the more you need to pay attention to the little things. The cable can make a difference ranging from just being more durable to sounding very different, depending on the rig. If you're at the point where you're doing non-major internal tweaks - tubes, tone capacitors, pedal mods - you should at least look into nice cables. Otherwise, save your money.
Cool. Sounds fair enough. What I expected really. I think I'm just going to go for a small bump up to something for like £15/20. Should get me by easily for now.
Gear

You get what you pay for.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
Quote by imaan988
He didn't mean it in this context haha. It's essentially saying you get what you pay for, and if you were buying mountain rope, you'd make sure you got the best.

oh ok, sure.

But with most things there comes a point where diminishing returns set in (if not outright snake oil). While I'd agree that, generally, more expensive things tend to be better, there's no guarantee that if you pay a big price, that something will be awesome. Some companies are better value, others have no problem ripping you off, etc. etc.

Quote by Roc8995
As with all things, the better your rig, the more you need to pay attention to the little things. The cable can make a difference ranging from just being more durable to sounding very different, depending on the rig. If you're at the point where you're doing non-major internal tweaks - tubes, tone capacitors, pedal mods - you should at least look into nice cables. Otherwise, save your money.

+1

Certainly, once I had a nice tube amp and nice guitars, I was at the point where a good cable made enough of a difference that I was glad I'd upgraded- in fact wished I'd done it sooner.

But yeah if you're running a squier bullet into a fender frontman amp, probably not much point.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Well I'm running a ESP EC-1000 into a Tiny Terror Combo, worth doing?
Gear

if you ask me, yeah.

I mean, as I said, I wouldn't run out and buy £75 cables, but considering either van damme or klotz are going to be a massive upgrade over what you already have for £10-£20...

yeah, do it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Obviously if your cables are crap, then upgrading will help your tone. And by crap, I mean staticky, signal cutting out when you wiggle the cable, etc, etc. If your cable is functional, then I doubt you'll hear a major difference. I A/B'd a monster cable with my $10 cheapo cable, and there was no difference in sound. The dude at guitar center swears it was like I took a wet blanket off the amp, but I have a strong suspicion that he just wanted to sell me a $70 cable. If you have a long, complex signal chain, then it may help your tone. The better cables have better shielding, so you're less likely to pick up RF interference, and should be less susceptible to hum induced by neon lights, etc in your average bar.

Personally, I use the $10 cables. I have yet to run into a situation where the cable is limiting me. When that happens I'll upgrade.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes