I have a Jackson with a double-locking floyd rose that goes flat whenever i use the whammy bar. The thing is, it's just been happening recently, I've never had such an extreme problem with it. I can usually just pull the bar up to bring everything back into tune. my guitar used to stay in tune even when i was really going wild on it. Heres some of the things i've tried to fix it:

Tightening the locking nuts tighter

Tightening where the strings are held in at the bridge

Adjusting the tension of the springs (really just trial and error though)

Re- tuning and stretching the strings

I've heard about using a pencil to scrape excess grime on the saddle but i'n not sure how to go about it.

anyways, any info or tips would be great! Thanks
This just in: Yet another jackass doesn't know how to work a Tremolo.

Trade it in for a hardtail.
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
Quote by HavokStrife
This just in: Yet another jackass doesn't know how to work a Tremolo.

Trade it in for a hardtail.

This just in: Yet another asshole has to insult someone instead of helping them.

what kind of floyd rose is it? licensed, original, or?
You probably have a "cheaper" version of the Original Floyd. They do come out of tune quite frequently, especially if it's not set-up right.

@HavokStrife - You're a tool.
Ibanez RGR421EXFM >> Maxon OD808 >> BOSS NS-2 >> Peavey 5150 212
what kind of floyd rose is it? licensed, original, or?

It's licensed. I'm really stumped as to what could be the problem. it's not the strings either, although i am using a different brand than usual.
Quote by DroptuneD
You probably have a "cheaper" version of the Original Floyd. They do come out of tune quite frequently, especially if it's not set-up right.

@HavokStrife - You're a tool.

Yeah it is a cheaper jackson, ($540) i won't lie. Like i said it has never given me these problems before.
Quote by kylewylde

It's licensed. I'm really stumped as to what could be the problem. it's not the strings either, although i am using a different brand than usual.

its possible that your knife edges are dull.
I had this problem with my OFR bridge. Whenever I dove, it went flat. when I raised, it went sharp. I found that putting some vaseline on the knife edges helps it come back to pitch easier.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Quote by smithmetal
I had this problem with my OFR bridge. Whenever I dove, it went flat. when I raised, it went sharp. I found that putting some vaseline on the knife edges helps it come back to pitch easier.

mhmm they were getting dull then, sharpening them again would have fixed it too.
Quote by rickyj
its possible that your knife edges are dull.

Do you think that can be fixed? or would it be cheaper to just replace the the floyd rose? I may have to just take the bar off until i fix the problem.
Quote by rickyj
mhmm they were getting dull then, sharpening them again would have fixed it too.

I don't think they were getting dull. I had only had the guitar for about 3 months, and I wasn't abusing it at all.
"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."
Quote by kylewylde
Do you think that can be fixed? or would it be cheaper to just replace the the floyd rose? I may have to just take the bar off until i fix the problem.

yea, easy fix if you have a file.

basically you just have to get a metal file of some kind and smooth out the knife edges(theyr the part of the bridge that rests against the posts)

google around there should be some stuff telling you about it.

id check the floyd rose thread(there is one right?) for some better explanation.
Quote by kylewylde

It can be fixed yes. But make sure you either know what you're doing, or take it to someone who does. Because if you damage the knife edge, that's it. You'd need a new baseplate for it. Which is a hell of a lot cheaper then a new floyd.
Quote by smithmetal
I don't think they were getting dull. I had only had the guitar for about 3 months, and I wasn't abusing it at all.

well from what i've seen, normally if the bridge isn't returning to the resting point(zero-point its called?) its because the knife edges aren't smooth or the posts are worn away a bit.
Quote by rickyj
well from what i've seen, normally if the bridge isn't returning to the resting point(zero-point its called?) its because the knife edges aren't smooth or the posts are worn away a bit.

Yea, that or you've damaged the knife edges. The paint was chipped on the knife edge. But the dude at the music store said it wasn't damaged. But it still didn't return to pitch. Yes it's called Zero-Point. So i just bought a new base plate and it works fine now. Haha
Quote by smithmetal
Yea, that or you've damaged the knife edges. The paint was chipped on the knife edge. But the dude at the music store said it wasn't damaged. But it still didn't return to pitch. Yes it's called Zero-Point. So i just bought a new base plate and it works fine now. Haha

how much did just the base plate cost you?
I just lubricated the knife edges and it seemed to do the trick... for now! Thanks to all of you for the advice especially Rickyj and Smithmetal!
Quote by kylewylde
I just lubricated the knife edges and it seemed to do the trick... for now! Thanks to all of you for the advice especially Rickyj and Smithmetal!

no problem!

you might want to keep some of whatever you used to lube( teehee ) in your case just in case you dont have any handy in the future
I know you got it fixed, but how long has it been since you changed strings?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by Offworld92
I know you got it fixed, but how long has it been since you changed strings?

I just changed them this week.