Hi guys, I wan't to make a cab over the year as abit of a project but I was wondering if anyone could tell me how much (roughly) it would cost and what skills would I need to do it? Thanks
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

I can't remember the price of the last cab i built but the majority of it was (unsurprisingly) speakers. The wood can be anything you want, thick birch ply is usually the norm. You need to have some way of shaping and cutting, such as a table saw, band saw or jigsaw to cut out your panels and cut the holes for the skeakers etc. How you join the edges is up to you, most people butt join them, i did a finger joint once for a marshall 4x4 which was stong but was a pain to do.

You also need a covering such as tolex and some contact cement and a staple gun to stick it on. It takes some effort to get smooth since the glue sometimes softens the material. Also you'll need some soldering skills to hook up the speakers to the jack. Most of the cost will probably be the speakers depending on what you get, plus it also depends on what your wood is and what your local place charges for it.
Can you remember how much your tolex cost you?
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

check our mojotone, they have a great assortment of tolex and grill cloth. Those two combined I'm thinking maybe $60-80 + speakers, wood, and butt joints

If you're just wanting to not spend as much on a cab as you would for a name brand, then sadly, that's not going to work.
If you're wanting to build it just to be able to say you built it, then by all means, but if you just want an inexpensive cabinet, scour craigslist for a cheap 2x12 or 2x10 combo, You can just cut a new speaker panel and mount it and viola
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Last edited by SKArface McDank at Apr 30, 2011,