OK, I've used the search but have been unable to find the answer to my specific question.

I've been asked to play a gig tomorrow and so I'm wanting to get some strap locks to ensure that the axe doesn't crash to the floor.

So, on to the question.

Using schaller or dunlop strap locks, will I have to drill the holes in my Gibson Chet Atkins SST or will the screws be the same length and thread?

It's mint condition, so I'm a bit wary of doing anything that could tarnish it - even if it is to prevent accidents

Thanks
Here's a neat tip:

Get yourself 2 of these and put the rubbers around your strapbuttons after applying your strap.

If it comes off then, well, then maybe get strap-locks. But this always works for me and it's cheap and easy (:
Gear:

Guitars:
LTD Viper 100FM
Ibanez RG320PG P2 (For sale*)
Ibanez RGA32 (w/ IronGear pups)
Epiphone Pro-1

Amps:
Vox VT15
or
Vox Tonelab EX
- through -
Peavey KB-300

* = PM me for more details

Quote by Willowthewitch

The actual correct answer
they should fit right in the old holes. Be careful removing the old screws so that you don't strip the threaded hole in the wood. Just to be safe, go slowly when screwing the new locks into the old holes in case there is a difference in size, but there shouldn't be. If they go in too loosely, you might have to put some wood filler in the holes first to fill up some space. If its requiring too much torque to turn the screws, back them out and maybe try a different brand.

I've put Schaller straplocks on 3 different guitars, and all fit right away, so I'm pretty sure its universal. I've never done it into an acoustic though so its possible they're different. Hope that helps!
Schecter Hellraiser C-1
Fernandes Dragonfly
Peavey Valveking 112

If I could write off your murder, I'd save all of my receipts,
because I'd rather you be dead, than lose a tiny shred of what I made this fiscal year - Dethklok
I didn't have to drill holes when putting on my schallers. They fit great.
Gear:
Gibson SG Special Faded
Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401
If the new screws don't fit, you can just use the original screws. Either way, one will work. Drilling is unnecessary.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Thank you all, I'll see if I can pick some up tomorrow.

Love the idea of the Grolsch rubbers, so I may give that a go on my travel acoustic but I can't risk it on the SST
I use Dunlop Locks, and you have to drill into the guitar a little bit, and you cant use the original screw because the strap button is too narrow for the old screw.

I never installed Schallers.
Quote by pedromiles101
you're not gonna want to take a dump in a gross, off-colored, vintage toilet. you want something that is white and pearly; something that shines. something that you can put your cheeks against and say, "f*** yeah"
Quote by Offworld92
If the new screws don't fit, you can just use the original screws. Either way, one will work. Drilling is unnecessary.

This is what I done when I put dunlop strap locks on my les paul.
Guitars:
PRS Custom 24
Gibson Les Paul 60's Tribute
85' MIJ Strat
97' Snakepit Les Paul
LP Traditional 1960 Zebra
MIJ Tele
MIA Strat

Amps:
Silver Jubilee 2525
Peavey Ultra 112
Jet City JCA50H
66' Bassman
Pink Paisley Princeton RV
74' Vibro Champ
Those planet waves straps work great in my experience.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
The screws on a Schaller can be a bit thinner than a standard pin screw. If this is the case, here is the easiest way to fix it.
Get some wooden matches and slice them into thin longitudinal strips. dip them in PVA glue and slide them into the hole until it is packed tight. Let the glue set a bit and screw the new screw into the hole. You probably won't need to drill a hole, the screw should just chew its way through the match slithers.
No idea how big the Dunlop screws are, I've never liked Dunlops much. I have Schaller on everything.

PS: be careful screwing in the new screws while the glue is still soft. If you over-tighten them before the glue is dry it is easy to pull all the match slithers out. Just screw it in all the way gently while the glue is wet. Go back and fully tighten it the next day after the glue has dried properly.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
Last edited by Cathbard at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by TuningGamer
Here's a neat tip:

Get yourself 2 of these and put the rubbers around your strapbuttons after applying your strap.

If it comes off then, well, then maybe get strap-locks. But this always works for me and it's cheap and easy (:

i advise you this. my gibson les paul standard hasn't fell down ever since with stock strap buttons. also keep a charvel with dunlop straplocks because they were included with the guitar else i'd have used the rings on that one too.
Quote by Ignite
Just got 2 of them.

Very, very happy with them.

except I just got a plain black ones and they were only $11 each. Those are $20.

definately one of the best accessories I every picked up.
2011 PRS CU24 (Black/Gold), Carvin Legacy 3
Quote by randomhero93
I use Dunlop Locks, and you have to drill into the guitar a little bit, and you cant use the original screw because the strap button is too narrow for the old screw.

I never installed Schallers.

I have Dunlops on both of my Gibsons - with the original screws. I saw that the threads were different when I compared the two sets of screws. So as to not bastardize the guitar at all, I went to work on the edges of the original screw heads with a file. It was tedious, but it didn't really take too long. And the holes, while a bit deeper now, are still unsullied by glue, wooden bits, or cross-threading of any kind.

Not really a recommendation. Just an example of another option, if you're so inclined...
XBOX LIVE Gamertag: Jazz Funeral
Currently killing with The Nunts crew in Max Payne 3

Quote by Weaponized
ON LIGHTNING.