Poll: Calorie tax: Yay or nay?
Poll Options
View poll results: Calorie tax: Yay or nay?
Yay
15 10%
Nay
123 80%
I neither yay, nor nay
16 10%
Voters: 154.
Page 1 of 3
So something I've seen politicians talk about lately is imposing a calorie tax. That is, making food that has more calories slightly more expensive since calorie excess = fat. Chips and the like would be more expensive. Not sure if they do it for all foods, maybe just snacks.

My question is, do you agree with a tax like the calorie tax being implemented? Is this a good idea? Why?

Personally I think it's just all-through an idiotic idea. Maybe that's just because I'm exercising a lot and take in over 4000 calories per day and this law doesn't take anything like that into account. I need my calories and it's expensive enough
You don't get fat from just eating chips, you have to eat a lot of calories and consistently to gain weight. Plus I don't like the goverment nannying people.
████████████████████████████
███████████████████████████
█████████████████████████
██████████████████████████
For countries with soclialized medicine I can see this making a little bit of sense, but I'm still against it.
Check out my band Disturbed
Wow, that's a stupid idea. How about making healthy food cheaper instead?
Quote by Kensai
So something I've seen politicians talk about lately is imposing a calorie tax. That is, making food that has more calories slightly more expensive since calorie excess = fat. Chips and the like would be more expensive. Not sure if they do it for all foods, maybe just snacks.

My question is, do you agree with a tax like the calorie tax being implemented? Is this a good idea? Why?

No. This is stupid, backwards, fascist... If I want to be fat, then goddamnit, I'll be fat. It isn't going to deter anyone who buys fatty, sugary, or other highly caloric foods. It would like taxing something that you have a severe... Addiction... To...

Hmm...
Michael Phelps would be broke if they actually followed through with the calorie tax.
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Or, perhaps they could make healthy food cheaper. At my college, vitamin water is £1.70, coke is £1.10. Genius.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Noodles and bread, the cheapest to produce foods around, are to become more expensive than meat because they are more calorie dense?

Are they trying to effectively starve the poor people out of Sweden, or what?
Quote by T.s.e

This, for ****'s sake!
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
government won't make healthy food cheaper without making something else more expensive - especially in a country like America that has both the obesity and debt thing going on.

oh and i'm not assuming it's about America, it's just where I am right now.
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Last edited by vIsIbleNoIsE at Apr 29, 2011,
I find it ridiculous. While there are many people who could prolly do without that extra soda or bag of chips. But hey what about the people who use it moderation. or even the people who arnt fat and love this kind of food. Its pushy to try and force eating healthy. if you want to then by all means you go do that. Even at a higher price people will still buy it. it just adds more money into a higher officials pocket so he can upgrade his jet and take another vacation. They already have high taxes on cigarettes and no shit people still by them. its an addiction. Its a ploy for more money simple as that.
Quote by Gui_Lux
what the hell is vitamin water?

Water with added vitamins...
How about we just reduce or refuse Insurance and Medicaid coverage for type 2 diabetes and other weight related illnesses to obese individuals?
Quote by Todd Hart
Or, perhaps they could make healthy food cheaper. At my college, vitamin water is £1.70, coke is £1.10. Genius.

Tell that to Private Industry, they love to reduce prices. To be cereal, the tax is the easiest control that a government can use...
Quote by Todd Hart
Water with added vitamins...

And sugar, don't forget the sugar.
i don't know why i feel so dry
I think in places like England where the taxpayers have to end up footing the cost of treatment for obesity-related problems then there should be some kind of tax for obese people.

I know that you can be really muscular and be classed as overweight, but obviously if it's going to be detrimental to your health then something should be done.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by Spartan101400
Is this in Sweden or someplace else, Kensai?

Sweden, but I've seen it suggested in other countries.

Quote by mattocaster99
How about we just reduce or refuse Insurance and Medicaid coverage for type 2 diabetes and other weight related illnesses to obese individuals?

That's just generalizing a lot, and I don't think you should refuse people proper healthcare anyway.

Quote by rworsl
I think in places like England where the taxpayers have to end up footing the cost of treatment for obesity-related problems then there should be some kind of tax for obese people.

I know that you can be really muscular and be classed as overweight, but obviously if it's going to be detrimental to your health then something should be done.

Maybe a special tax for people who ride the motorcycle, have dangerous jobs, likes extreme sports and other activities more prone to danger as well. I don't think you should single people out. Well maybe, but I don't know how
Last edited by Kensai at Apr 29, 2011,
Also, the notion that more calories = less healthy is completely retarded.

A stick of celery actually has negative calories (meaning that it takes more energy to digest and proces celery than the celery itself delivers). Eating only celery would cause you to starve to death.
Quote by Eastwinn
And sugar, don't forget the sugar.

At least it's not as bad as soda. The Mellow Yellow I am drinking now has 78g of sugar...I feel unhealthy now
Castles made of sand
Fall to the sea
Eventually
Quote by rworsl

So the fact that they're likely to die earlier isn't enough?
Quote by Todd Hart
So the fact that they're likely to die earlier isn't enough?

No. It's the tax payer that has to fund the cost of treatment for them, and a great deal of obese people have no one to blame for it but themselves.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

Quote by rworsl

If they were to tax the obese, I bet a doctor would have to sign off on whether that person is actually harming their own health with their weight. Like how rugby players are mostly technically overweight, they're fitter than teh average person. No doctor would claim they're "obese".
Quote by rworsl
No. It's the tax payer that has to fund the cost of treatment for them, and a great deal of obese people have no one to blame for it but themselves.

What a pleasant fellow, not even increased mortality rate is enough to sate your anger at fat people. I'm next you'll complain about the fact they take up land in our graveyards and waste extra energy in our crematoriums?
Quote by T.s.e

This is an idea I've been talking about for ages. Reduce taxes on cheaper foods and make junk foods more expensive. Then more people tend to buy cheaper and healthier foods, even poor people.
Higher tax on processed foods and end stupid food subsidies (especially meat). Not on calories alone.

Quote by Todd Hart
What a pleasant fellow, not even increased mortality rate is enough to sate your anger at fat people. I'm next you'll complain about the fact they take up land in our graveyards and waste extra energy in our crematoriums?

Crematoriums actually use an enormous quantity of energy. Which is one reason a council in England tried to use the excess heat from it to warm the local swimming pool. Unfortunately some people objected to this idea...
Is it still a God Complex if I really am God?

America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.
Oscar Wilde
Quote by helterskeltersg
A better idea is making junk food unavailable for purchase with food stamps.

They'd burn through their stamps faster.

Junk/Fast food is almost always cheaper.
Quote by Kensai

Personally I think it's just all-through an idiotic idea. Maybe that's just because I'm exercising a lot and take in over 4000 calories per day and this law doesn't take anything like that into account. I need my calories and it's expensive enough
You don't get fat from just eating chips, you have to eat a lot of calories and consistently to gain weight. Plus I don't like the goverment nannying people.

Yeah :S This idea sounds ridiculous. I think it's fair enough charging more for say, cigarettes, which no one needs, but FOOD? Come on. People need food, people LIKE food, and whilst one could argue that people don't need unhealthy food...it's really their choice, isn't it. We all like pizza sometimes. I actually DO need chocolate etc sometimes, if my blood sugar is low...so what, I'm gonna be charged more for the chocolate bar that stops me passing out and needing paramedics to help me? Seems really fair.
MEMBER OF THE LAUGAM BRITISH HIT SQUAD! HONORARY MEMBER OF THE SWEDISH LAUGAM HIT SQUAD!
I'M JUST SEE THROUGH FADED, SUPER JADED, AND OUT OF MY MIND
<//////>~ dA
Esther is officially awesome and smart - Frenchy
No, just no. I agree with the people suggesting healthy food to be made cheaper. Of course those who are poor have to sacrifice some quality so that they can get enough food for a whole week or even a month. That includes me. I'm a student and I need food to keep myself sane and healthy.
Gear pics

Quote by Cathbard
Bugera cloning Blackstar is a scandal cloaked in a tragedy making love to a nightmare.

Oh and my dad owns and runs a noodle restaurant, so this would especially suck for us.

People wouldn't be too happy if we jacked up prices to cover the tax.
That's a horrible idea. Bigger guys who are in shape, like myself, have big metabolisms and would be penalized for our genetics and living a healthy lifestyle, unless they can find some way to standardize it to your BMR or tax you more for consuming unhealthy calories. It would be way too difficult to determine though, and would definitely cost more to monitor and implement than the revenue it would generate.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
My personal opinion is that it's none of the governments goddamn business whether or not I'm fat. Just as it's none of their business whether or not I smoke. It isn't government's role to try and manipulate the actions of its people.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by Todd Hart

How is vitamin water healty? I had it a couple of times and it is packed full of sugar. It's like deep frying vegetables.

It's a dumb idea, calories doesn't make you fat eating more than you need to does.
Last edited by MegadethFan18 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by esther_mouse
Yeah :S This idea sounds ridiculous. I think it's fair enough charging more for say, cigarettes, which no one needs, but FOOD? Come on. People need food, people LIKE food, and whilst one could argue that people don't need unhealthy food...it's really their choice, isn't it. We all like pizza sometimes. I actually DO need chocolate etc sometimes, if my blood sugar is low...so what, I'm gonna be charged more for the chocolate bar that stops me passing out and needing paramedics to help me? Seems really fair.

I think it should be the same for cigarettes. You don't "need" chips or junk food, nor cigarettes and no tax should be raised using that justification.

I smoke cigars myself and they just upped the tobacco tax with 10%
Page 1 of 3