So I've tried changing the bridge pup on my 7 to a SD blackout and I'm not really happy with the tone I'm getting out of it so I was wondering what pickup has really punchy mids but doesn't emphasize lower mids (like the blackout). I've looked at some Bare Knuckle pickups but they're too expensive for my budget. I'm only 14 so I don't have a job but will be getting paid this weekend for yard work I'm not sure how much but I doubt over $100. Any suggestions are welcome. I'd rather not have actives though because they usually don't stay clean on lower wattage amps.
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
mostly djent or tight metal. My dream tone is almost like the system of a down hypnotize/mezmerize album but I know its almost impossible with low tunings like A or G
Just remember, we all used to be the kid who tried to play metal with a stratocaster and a line 6 spider amp.
Djent?
Lundgren M7.
I have no experience with it but samples I heard online of guys using it through their PODXTs made me cream my pants. And I'm NOT a djent-o-maniac.
Dimarzio D-Sonic or Crunchlab. Way cheaper than those botique, European pickups, and they do the djob djust as well for playing djent.

Keep in mind a huuuge part of getting a "djent"-y tone is technique and amp settings.

EDIT: And after I got my RG570, I went looking for used Dimarzio pickups. I found a Crunchlab/Liquifire set for $80+shipping on Guitar Center's used site.
Last edited by Pac_man0123 at Apr 29, 2011,
The 7-string version of the Duncan Distortion is the only non-boutique pickup I know of that comes in a 7-string version and has strong mids with average bass/low mids. Every other SD pickup has strong low-mids and every DiMarzio 7-string has way over the top bass and nowhere near the mids they say they do. Everything else I know of is boutique or active. You're asking for a very rare thing, almost all 7-string pickups are made for lower mids and fuller bass.

Quote by Guitar Sushi
Why the hell are you using active pickups if you want mids... >:-(

Most active pickups have far more mids than any passive ever will. The problem is that they also have more bass and treble too so it all becomes irrelevant.
Wood matters alot here.

For example, D-Activators in Mahogany would probably be exactly what your looking for because Mahogany is quite dark, while the D-Activators are quite bright and very middy.

And say your guitar is Basswood or Alder, both brighter woods, so the D-Activators would give you the mid punch your looking for, but the tone of the pickups+the wood would probably end in a tone too bright for your tastes.

My reccomendation is D-activator bridge model (don't get the neck model though, quite harsh) but if you have a bright wood and don't want your tone to be too bright, I'd reccomend a Crunchlab as well
thanks for all the help my guitar is made of mahogany heres a link of the closest guitar on the site (the only difference is a rosewood fretboard): http://www.rondomusic.com/interceptor727mnblflm.html
Ill check out the crunch lab and the d-activator never heard of Lundgrens Ill check out those too
Quote by Guitar Sushi
Why the hell are you using active pickups if you want mids... >:-(

Dimarzio Crunch Lab will fix you up.

emg's are built around mids dude JUST SAYIN
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
personally I put Dimarzio Blaze custom 7s in my 7 strings. I can't find anything else with such clarity on the 7th string.
2009 Engl Powerball 100watt
1985 Marshall 1960a 4x12 with G12-65s
1989 Ibanez 540S LTD DY
2006 Epiphone G-400
Lundgrens are great for the Djent tone since both of the guitarist of Meshuggah use them.
Damn it! Disable can't use disable to disable Disable's disable because disable's disable has already been disabled by Disable's disable!
Why people are still suggesting you a M7 or BKP when you only have ~$100 to spend I don't know

The Dimarzios are the best for you at that price. But your amp will matter more in this kind of situation, it'll be hard to get the tone with an MG(or whatever you have)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
Anyway I have technically statutory raped #nice

Quote by EndThecRinge51
once a girl and i promised to never leave each other

since that promise was broken

i dont make promises any more
Quote by megano28
Why people are still suggesting you a M7 or BKP when you only have ~$100 to spend I don't know

The Dimarzios are the best for you at that price. But your amp will matter more in this kind of situation, it'll be hard to get the tone with an MG(or whatever you have)

Oops, I missed that. My bad.
Depends on wood man, if it's mahogany then I'd suggest Evo7 (I'm getting that soon) or a Seymour JB7.
If it's basswood I'd STILL say Evo7 because of the insane reaction it got from users on ss.org. If it's alder or ash, you might want to go in for a Blaze Custom or a similar pickup that's warm.
I hope that helped.

EDIT: Your thang is mahogany so Evo7 OR Deactivator7 as someone already said OR the Seymour Duncan JB7. Do a little bit more research though. Cheers!
Last edited by TubeAmp89 at Apr 30, 2011,
Think its your amp man, I run SD blackouts in my 7's through a mesa triple rec or JCM, I have really no mid issues, and they(PU's) sound amazing. Pulling my EMG 707's and replacing with the blackouts was the best thing I could have done to my 7's. If your having Mid issues I suggest getting a new amp, at very least a EQ pedal.
Quote by EspTro
emg's are built around mids dude JUST SAYIN

No. They are not. All active pickups drop the mids significantly to get the "heavy" sound.

You sir, are on crack.
Here you go man, Jake Bowen from the Djent band Periphery! Check out the pick ups he uses. I love this band a lot and I saw the DiMarzio page for him a few days ago. ( I personally like the Evolution P-ups)

http://www.dimarzio.com/player/jake-bowen

There's also a video of the band at the bottom of the page, I think some of the other guitarists in the band talk about theirs too. Hope I could help you out man!

EDIT: Each pickup on this page also describes the amount of treble, mids and bass, so that might help too!

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-string
Last edited by BlueFuzion101 at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by Guitar Sushi
No. They are not. All active pickups drop the mids significantly to get the "heavy" sound.

You sir, are on crack.
You're the one who's incorrect here, I'm afraid. Read what I wrote above, already covered this. The EMG 85 in particular is nothing but mids and the 60A is a huge upper-mid spike machine.
Quote by Guitar Sushi

You sir, are on crack.

you must have a really shitty metal tone if your cutting mids. emg's are jazz pickups. jazz pickups need mids. the pre amp in emgs enhance mids like crazy. please study up
Quote by kangaxxter
The only real answer to the SG vs Les Paul debate is to get a Flying V and laugh at all the suckers who don't have one.

Quote by Blompcube

if you embrace inaccurate intonation it can be quite arousing.

I <3 TWEED
Quote by BlueFuzion101
EDIT: Each pickup on this page also describes the amount of treble, mids and bass, so that might help too!

http://www.dimarzio.com/pickups/7-string

That actually doesn't help at all. So innacurate. I bought 3 pickups that I didn't like because of that system and when I bought something that I liked, it was rated exact opposite basically. Just saying, I don't find that helpful at all.

And about the EMG hate. I think the reason people think they are really scooped is because most of the noobs who think "EMGs=Bt00tz" also think "TREBLE 10, MIDS 0, BASS 9" is the best tone ever.
Quote by Levi79
That actually doesn't help at all. So innacurate. I bought 3 pickups that I didn't like because of that system and when I bought something that I liked, it was rated exact opposite basically. Just saying, I don't find that helpful at all.

And about the EMG hate. I think the reason people think they are really scooped is because most of the noobs who think "EMGs=Bt00tz" also think "TREBLE 10, MIDS 0, BASS 9" is the best tone ever.

Ah, I didn't know that, but that's why I suggested Jake Bowen's page first. which is what a lot of people already suggested: the Crunch Lab 7 and LiquiFire 7