So ive made a couple of bass cabs in the past and am still using them. Ive now got a guitar(cheap but it works) and am going to get some kind of 5 watt head.

So a guitar cab, im just not sure were to go with this. I can build the cab, im just not sure what parameters to use. From past reading on making guitar cabs people have just said choose a cab you like and rebuild that. Will this work ok with this.

Closed or open backed is another question. Ill be playing mostly a bluesy, rocky, fuzz, type sound. Which would work best.

Also im a bit strapped for cash at the moment so will probably just get a cheaper 12" speaker for the moment and then upgrade it when i get more money. How will this effect making a guitar cab. I wouldnt dream of just making a cab and plonking any speaker in a bass cab with out designing it and having it designed specifically for that speaker.

Any idea's?

Thanks
Sam H
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Hi Sam, If you choose an open back then the dimensions aren't very critical, just check your speaker is suitable for open back, which the majority guitar speakers are.

sealed cabs will have tighter bass and more of it, it is just down to taste as to whether you like this or not. All the stuff about matching cabs to speakers applies but you have two things working to your advantage with a guitar cab; guitar speakers tend to be more similar than other speakers as so many of them are copies/clones of the original Celestions and the matching of cab and speaker is about getting the best out of the bass frequencies and this is less important for a guitar cab. The result is that an awful lot of speakers will work OK in similar sized cabs.

Most of the 'tone' of a guitar speaker is about what goes on in the midrange, so it is well worth listening to as many cabs as you can to see what particular drive units you like best. It's also worth going onto the Eminence and Celestion web sites which both have sound clips for their guitar speakers, The Eminence site is particularly good on this.

Have you seen this http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/columns/gear_maintenance/cabinets_for_guitars.html

Cheers
Thanks very much Phil, your always such a great help. Im on new quest at the moment now that ive got a guitar ive cleaned and plan to get some very hot pickups in there.

It will prob be open backed then as i have some ply lying round and dont want to have to buy a whole lot more.

Will do some listening and some researching.
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
Any one else got a few idea's, points, tips??
Yamaha TRB1006
Fender MIA jazz bass
Hora Hybrid double bass
Hartke lh 500
Ev 606L
Epiphone les paul
in regards to the "open back" idea, If you use a wood strapping (or metal strapping) across the open back, going across the rear of the speaker. I gives you a bit "darker" tone, since the reverberations from the rear of the speaker cone bounce back off the wood/metal

There should be more information in the Peavey Valveking thread, I believe. That's where I got the idea from a few years back. I've done it to my MesaBoogie F-50 (with metal strapping) and it's really easy to take off (just 4 wood screws)

I don't have a picture of it, but I can take one if you need me too. I have a stock pictures of what the back of the amp looks like normally, so just imagine a strip of metal going across the back of the speaker cone

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Out_of%20_Production/F-Series/F-50/F-50CloseUp/F-50-rearLgr.jpg