Hey all, I've been playing through a Peavey Vypyr 75 for about a year now (first amp) and I'm starting to feel like its time to move up to something better. I tried out a Valveking 112 in-store recently and really liked it, it has sufficient versatility for the styles I would be using it for, etc. However, before I buy it, I was wondering if anybody has anything to say that I should take into account-any problems with it, or recommendations for a better amp. Thanks in advance!
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-Alan Kay

Check out my original classical composition here !
Wow, it's crazy you posted this today because I was just going to start a thread about this exact amp, to ask if it was any good for metal. I read a bunch of reviews on it, and it looks like most of the reviewers don't play metal, from what I saw, given their listed "style of playing" (zZounds etc.), which is pretty much all I play, except blues, and even that's on distortion. I rarely go Clean. Most were saying this was better for hard rock and classic rock. So, additional question to add for people to answer! lol
I have no problem with classic rock/hard rock, but it's not the only thing I want to play.
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at Apr 29, 2011,
for the price it can't be beat. i tried a few different amps (most more expensive than the VK) and the VK was the winner. yeah the speaker could be upgraded but i haven't found the stock one to be that bad.

as for metal well that depends on your definition of metal. i tend to play older metal like judas priest or UFO and it's fine for that. it does a reasonably good job with 80s metal but once you get into thrash or heavier the results taper off. it's not a good modern metal amp without some help. (6505+ combo is much mre suited to this).
As an owner of both amps in question, the VK really isn't that big of a step up from the Vypyr. Sure you have your tube dynamics, and that's wonderful, and the cleans are definitely better and more real.

But when it comes to drive, the Vypyr is much better than the VK. On top of that you have the obvious huge difference in terms of versatility.

My advice is to keep saving until you can afford an amp that really is an upgrade.

What is your budget, and what styles do you play?
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Quote by monwobobbo
for the price it can't be beat. i tried a few different amps (most more expensive than the VK) and the VK was the winner. yeah the speaker could be upgraded but i haven't found the stock one to be that bad.

as for metal well that depends on your definition of metal. i tend to play older metal like judas priest or UFO and it's fine for that. it does a reasonably good job with 80s metal but once you get into thrash or heavier the results taper off. it's not a good modern metal amp without some help. (6505+ combo is much mre suited to this).

Yeah I'm into all types of metal but most commonly play death/melodeath/neoclassical/thrash. I do love me some 80's, though.
Damn... It's such a good deal too . I'll keep searching then, for that wallet friendly tube combo amp. Ideal price range between $300 to $400.
well...im sure someone said it, but buy it, replace the stock speaker with something a bit more...top notch...then buy a pedal or two and you've got a amp that could do anything decently

EDIT: LOL, there is no thing as a wallet friendly tube amp...IF i had to recommend something, i would say the Peavey 6505 combo amp...its about 650$ new, 450$-ish used...Craigslist is your best friend...remember that
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by VintageAmigo
well...im sure someone said it, but buy it, replace the stock speaker with something a bit more...top notch...then buy a pedal or two and you've got a amp that could do anything decently

EDIT: LOL, there is no thing as a wallet friendly tube amp...IF i had to recommend something, i would say the Peavey 6505 combo amp...its about 650$ new, 450$-ish used...Craigslist is your best friend...remember that

$450 roughly, used, isn't bad. I also had a hunch someone was going to say "Wallet friendly tube amps are nonexistent"...
EDIT: Is the 6505 sufficient on its own for the Lead channel for heavy metal distortions, or would getting a pedal with it be a good idea? Would a distortion pedal with the 112 make it better suited? I have a feeling I should just save for the 6505.
I wish I had guitar shops closer. I would wish for Guitar Centers, too, but those people in there, I heard, sound as though they ate too many paint chips as children, when it comes to their intelligence of equipment they supposedly know about.. since they're selling you the shit lol.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
Yeah I'm into all types of metal but most commonly play death/melodeath/neoclassical/thrash. I do love me some 80's, though.
Damn... It's such a good deal too . I'll keep searching then, for that wallet friendly tube combo amp. Ideal price range between $300 to $400.

throwing this out there but maybe a picovalve good thrasy type tones megadeth kinda style
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
$450 roughly, used, isn't bad. I also had a hunch someone was going to say "Wallet friendly tube amps are nonexistent"...
I was thinking of getting an MXR pedal with it, like the Full Bore Metal or something. That or the HardWire Metal stompbox. Either of those decent? Unless the 6505 is sufficient on its own for the music I aim to play the most.
I wish I had guitar shops closer. I would wish for Guitar Centers but those people in there, I heard, sound as though they ate too many paint chips as children, when it comes to their intelligence of equipment they supposedly know about.. since they're selling you the shit lol.

well...alot of the time people hate on Guitar Center employees...just to do so...i've never met a really dumb GC employee, but one time i did have one try to sell my 5 Line 6 Spider's. That didnt go well.

Ya, i've heard alot of people recommend the Valveking because its good with pedals. Another amp i've been told is really good about pedals is the Jet City JCA20, it takes pedals very well and i've actually played one at a GC, it had near perfect crunch and (from what the GC guy said) it NAILS thrash with the right pedals...but yet again, it could have been salesman jargon...thats the reason most people diss Gc employees...because they try to sell you 15 things when you go in.
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
well...alot of the time people hate on Guitar Center employees...just to do so...i've never met a really dumb GC employee, but one time i did have one try to sell my 5 Line 6 Spider's. That didnt go well.

Ya, i've heard alot of people recommend the Valveking because its good with pedals. Another amp i've been told is really good about pedals is the Jet City JCA20, it takes pedals very well and i've actually played one at a GC, it had near perfect crunch and (from what the GC guy said) it NAILS thrash with the right pedals...but yet again, it could have been salesman jargon...thats the reason most people diss Gc employees...because they try to sell you 15 things when you go in.

Yeah, it's just their job, ya know. I suppose it isn't their fault. But man, I hear they sling Line 6 gear like no one's business. On that note, L6 really isn't that bad. I hated my brother's Floor Pod. Shit tone, unless I wasn't doing something right. The wah on it was okay.
Quote by Norse Thrasher
Yeah, it's just their job, ya know. I suppose it isn't their fault. But man, I hear they sling Line 6 gear like no one's business. On that note, L6 really isn't that bad. I hated my brother's Floor Pod. Shit tone, unless I wasn't doing something right. The wah on it was okay.

LOL, they sling Line 6's around like theres no tomorrow. I had the guy recommend me a 75w, then a 100w 2x12...then a 15w (because i needed the headroom...ya)...then he tried to get me to buy a 120w...then lastly he just said "you know what...i think you should look more into these Fender Frontmans"...which i was fine with...

ya, it is their job, and i appreciate that...but sometimes they are annoying lol. I actually have a Line 6 Spider 15w (i just dont put it in my Sig because i get flamed for it ). Its ok...but once i turn the volume up to about 7, it get slammed with a wall of mud & unclear fuzz...its horrid...

thats why im looking for a new amp (probably a Blackstar)
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 29, 2011,
I'd rather own a VK than a Vypyr. But knowing your budget would help us out quite a bit.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by CL/\SH
I'd rather own a VK than a Vypyr. But knowing your budget would help us out quite a bit.

the budget is 300-400$...he mentioned it in a post up there
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Quote by VintageAmigo
LOL, they sling Line 6's around like theres no tomorrow. I had the guy recommend me a 75w, then a 100w 2x12...then a 15w (because i needed the headroom...ya)...then he tried to get me to buy a 120w...then lastly he just said "you know what...i think you should look more into these Fender Frontmans"...which i was fine with...

ya, it is their job, and i appreciate that...but sometimes they are annoying lol. I actually have a Line 6 Spider 15w (i just dont put it in my Sig because i get flamed for it ). Its ok...but once i turn the volume up to about 7, it get slammed with a wall of mud & unclear fuzz...its horrid...

thats why im looking for a new amp (probably a Blackstar)

I have a Spider III HD75 and a Spider III cab. I posted a **** ton of info about my current gear situation in a thread that's probably a few pages back called "Active pickups in a solid state amp". Yeah you probably get where I'm going with wanting a tube amp, after seeing some of the posts lol. I just want that active pup scream and precision. Although I did hear that if you have enough wattage, they don't sound too bad through SS, so I dunno if I have enough or not but tube would be an all around good investment anyway. Eventually gonna get one anyway so why not sooner than later. I'm just using my brother's gear right now. Have been since I started on acoustic like a year and half or two ago and upgraded to electric and started using his shit I'd say 6 months into that year and a half or two.
EDIT: Bought a JS32T Rhoads recently. Possibly will wait to see if I change stock pups after I hear how they sound through tube, before I go and buy the actives.
Quote by VintageAmigo
the budget is 300-400$...he mentioned it in a post up there

Norse did. The OP didn't.
Quote by Offworld92
As an owner of both amps in question, the VK really isn't that big of a step up from the Vypyr. Sure you have your tube dynamics, and that's wonderful, and the cleans are definitely better and more real.

I agree with this completely. Sure, the cleans are decent, but the gain is a step down from a Vypyr. I've tried out a Valveking, and the gain channel sounds really farty and lame (at least stock). You'll probably have to spend a couple hundred dollars on upgrades, and with that money you could have bought a better amp altogether.
Find a used 6505.
Gilchrist custom
Yamaha SBG500
Telecasters
Randall RM100 & RM20
Marshall JTM45 clone
Marshall JCM900 4102 (modded)
Marshall 18W clone
Fender 5F1 Champ clone
Atomic Amplifire
Marshall 1960A
Boss GT-100

Cathbard Amplification
My band
I recently got a Jet City JCA, and it eats my pedals for breakfast. If you understand that you WILL need pedals to get into metal territory, it's great.
Telecasters-->Dunlop Volume Pedal-T1M Pearl-AMT Japanese Girl Wah-Line 6 M9-Ibanez DE7-EHX Cathedral-->Mesa Boogie Nomad 4x10 combo
Quote by Norse Thrasher
EDIT: Is the 6505 sufficient on its own for the Lead channel for heavy metal distortions, or would getting a pedal with it be a good idea? Would a distortion pedal with the 112 make it better suited? I have a feeling I should just save for the 6505.
I wish I had guitar shops closer. I would wish for Guitar Centers, too, but those people in there, I heard, sound as though they ate too many paint chips as children, when it comes to their intelligence of equipment they supposedly know about.. since they're selling you the shit lol.

The 6505 is like... THE amp for metal. Hands down one of the gain-iest, most beastly amps out there you can buy. You will never need a pedal with it to give it more gain, except an OD, to tighten it up.

The 112 combo obviously isn't the "real thing", but it's still pretty much the best metal amp you can get on a budget.

There is also the Bugera 6260/6262, which can be had for cheap.
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by VintageAmigo

EDIT: LOL, there is no thing as a wallet friendly tube amp..

Bullshit.
Go used and you can find alot of wallet friendly valve amps... New in the states you can sometimes pickup the jet city combos for 299 dollars and if thats not wallet friendly...
Be noice Angus. But he's right. If you search hard enough (hell, it really isn't that difficult) you can find some quality valve amps at very reasonable prices.
I have the valveking head 100 and ive tried the 212 combo. I play post hardcore with quite alot of gain and the valveking does a alright job with it stock.
Added a OD and EQ and it sounds perfect for the tone i want.
No 5150 or 6505 though but it has its own sound.
This amp has alot of mids which is the main reason I love how it sounds, you can get a great lamb of god tone from it.
Quote by coolstoryangus
Bullshit.
Go used and you can find alot of wallet friendly valve amps... New in the states you can sometimes pickup the jet city combos for 299 dollars and if thats not wallet friendly...

well sorry for pissing someone off...but i've NEVER been told "ya, tube amps are cheap"...so tube amp (basically) = more money. Simply because they are better quality...and yes...as i stated in the part you quoted...Craigslist is your friend, thats the ONLY way your going to get REALLY good used tube amp...that or steal one

EDIT: also, the definition of "wallet friendly" changes per person...personally i think its below 400$...to others, wallet friendly might mean around 1000$...it changes per person
Rig:
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 30, 2011,
With a boost it can play metal. You will need an eq and a few othe minor mods to make it sound great. It is also generally most rock/metal players first tube amp, as it was mine.
-ltd mh-350fr
-ltd ec-401
-Ibanez RGA42FM
-peavey valveking 112
-line 6 spider iii 30 watt
-pedalz
Wow this got bigger than I expected. Anyway, just to clarify: my budget is $400-$500. I want it for some fairly high-gain rock and metal , but I also want a decent clean. I've tried the 6505, and while I like it, it's a bit too heavy for me.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it.
-Alan Kay

Check out my original classical composition here !
Quote by Zigsfi
Wow this got bigger than I expected. Anyway, just to clarify: my budget is $400-$500. I want it for some fairly high-gain rock and metal , but I also want a decent clean. I've tried the 6505, and while I like it, it's a bit too heavy for me.

With that budget, stay away from the Valveking. You can get something substantially better with that budget.

For the guy with $300-$400, the Valveking is an option if closer to $300. It's by no means a bad amp, but does require some modification. Luckily, Valvekings can be had at less than $200, so the price of modifications is usually justified.
It's a solid amp for the right price, and an excellent first tube amp.
Thanks for all the insight guys! Much appreciated, 'cause I was really in the dark about some of this shit. I love these forums!
EDIT: Unfortunately, I'll have to stick with buying online, either from eBay or from music shops online, 'cause I just checked Craigslist and got nothing for either of these amps. My area isn't very urban. Some guy was asking $900 for the 6505 head, like 2 hours away. Yeah, **** that.
Last edited by Norse Thrasher at May 1, 2011,