Thought I'd share them with you guys;
I got a little bored one day.
Got out of lacrosse practice early, had no homework, but I had these lights laying around as well as the tools, so I put them together!
Yes, the string broke as I was playing it after I put it in

Edit: Also, first post here! Hey guys
Quote by leeb rocks
SO I'VE BEEN BALLS DEEP IN MYSELF THIS WHOLE TlME?!?!
Last edited by Konkordmusk at Apr 29, 2011,
It's wired into the amp's circuity, connected at a 4.7k resistor
Quote by leeb rocks
Yep. 9v. They're on a tactile switch, so battery drain is minimal
Quote by leeb rocks
that's cool, I was thinking about mounting some myself, but using a watch battery to conserve space. But if you can fit the 9v in the control cavity, that's awesome! You shouldn't have to change the battery in about a decade or so I imagine?
I wouldn't know how long the battery lasts. I would assume a year at most, but mostly because these are high intensity LED's. But a quick trip to the dollar store solves that.
Next up, I'm gonna make the LED's flash, with a trimmer/potentiometer to match the bpm of the music i'm playing.
Quote by leeb rocks
How many LEDs are on the guitar?

Just assume you have a 9V 600 mAh battery and those white LEDs have a forward voltage drop of 3V. If you're using a 4.7k ohm resistor, that's 6V / 4.7e3 = 1.3 mA current through each LED.

So if you have 4 LEDs, 4*1.3mA = 5.2 mA.

600 mAh / 5.2 mA = 115 hours of run time.

Next up, I'm gonna make the LED's flash, with a trimmer/potentiometer to match the bpm of the music i'm playing.

How is that going to make them flash? You should use a NFET or a BJT switch to do the flashing.
Last edited by farmosh203 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by farmosh203
How many LEDs are on the guitar?

Just assume you have a 9V 600 mAh battery and those white LEDs have a forward voltage drop of 3V. If you're using a 4.7k ohm resistor, that's 6V / 4.7e3 = 1.3 mA current through each LED.

So if you have 4 LEDs, 4*1.3mA = 5.2 mA.

600 mAh / 5.2 mA = 115 hours of run time.

How is that going to make them flash? You should use a NFET or a BJT switch to do the flashing.

It's a strip, with 6 LEDs in it. It's a nifty little piece I picked up at a car parts store when I was installing lights under my grandmothers car running boards to help see at night, and these were the leftover.

Also, I didn't mean that I was gonna use a pot or trimmer to flash the lights, but merely to control the rate of flash. I like to work off of what I have available, rather than having to buy stuff. I was planning on using a super basic 555ic timer circuit
Quote by leeb rocks
Ah I was thinking you were going to do something like analyze the frequency of the notes being played and blink the leds accordingly. I guess that wouldn't be hard to do with something like an Atmel ATmega48 microcontroller.
Quote by farmosh203
Ah I was thinking you were going to do something like analyze the frequency of the notes being played and blink the leds accordingly. I guess that wouldn't be hard to do with something like an Atmel ATmega48 microcontroller.

Naw, I think there's a line somewhere in there, for complexity, and a microcontroller would be crossing it haha.
I'll keep it simple, for now!
Quote by leeb rocks