I've been craving for a PRS guitar but there's no shop around that has them in stock. I have a few questions for the 'experienced' here:

I'm looking at either the 513, DC3, NF3 or the 305

What I'm wondering is how does the single coils sound on the 513? Can I get strat sound?(ya know chimey bell sound?) If that's possible I'm pretty sure that's the one I want.(for the diversity) But if not...

What is the main difference in terms of sound of the remaining three?

All I know is that the DC3 sounds GREAT in this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=to9Jb_KYxO0

But what would be the most Strat sounding guitar of the three?

Does anyone here have a PRS? I didn't find too much in the search bar.

All input much appreciated!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Why don't you just buy a srat if you want the strat sound.I recently got a used strat and I love it.When I play metal or rock I get out my Dean with Hums and rock out.
That's a reply I was expecting. I already have a Strat, I want another feel.

I just really like the single coil sound and I'm just wondering if the PRS will give me that chimey bell sound, I'm not looking for a sound completely identical to my Strat, don't get me wrong.

Judging by the the video I posted the DC3 seems to deliver! But I'm more excited about the 513, just wondering if it can pull off a single coil as well.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by maiden_man_666
Here's a video of Paul Reed Smith playing the CU24 and explaining the tones

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvTSdH8H12A

You saying I can get that single coil chime out of the custom 24? The "strat tone" there didn't sound too convincing.
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Quote by Necronomicon
That's not the video I was expecting, THIS is the one you should watch:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uj8VNOwu0KM

If that's not versatility I'll eat my shirt

Sweet!! Ok, add a Custom 24 to my list as well. I didn't know it was a guitar of many trades. I thought it was strictly a humbucking monster
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
Another possibility is the Swamp Ash Special with the Narrowfields - check out Davy Knowles demo'ing it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBLXAMWNZc0
PRS Tremonti Signature (charcoal burst)
Gibson Les Paul Studio Nitro (electric lime)
PRS SE One
---
EVH 5150 III 50w / 5150 III 212 cab
Blackstar HT-5
I don't see the point in getting a guitar that sounds exactly like your other but with different fee. I'd go for the custom 24 over those strictly single coil guitars. My McCarty with it's coil tap sounds a hell of a lot like a tele with the split. So I'd assume a 24 could pull off a single coil sound even better. If I was going for another PRS I'd get that.
What do you guys think of the PRS 22? Does the neck length have much to do with the sound?
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
The custom 22's neck isn't any longer, you're thinking of scale length. The custom 22 is the same scale length as the custom 24 and that doesn't effect the tone. The custom 22's neck is always thicker though so that effects the tone and also because it has 2 less frets the neck pickup is able to go in the proper position which changes the tone of that a little. The custom 22 sounds warmer with more bass, especially the neck pickup.

Really you won't get an exact Strat sound out of a PRS. PRS are closer to Gibsons in terms of sound and feel. Coil split humbuckers sound and react more like P-90s than Strat single coils. If you put proper single coils in a PRS then that will get you a bit closer but it's still a much thicker and warmer-toned body you're dealing with.

If you want the same Strat tone but with a new feel, check out Warmoth's 24 3/4" conversion Strat necks.
Well I´ve tested and played every one of those guitars and I suggest you do the same so you´ll know exactly how each one feels and sounds, the 513 is an amazing guitar if you really need that many different sounds which it is capable of doing. Simplicity is with the 305, the pick ups are based on the 513s, great guitar with sweet sounds and not as expensive as the 513. The DC3 and NF3 also very nice sounding, the playability and craftmanship of these guitars is of course top of the line like you would expect from PRS, but like I said before you really need to try it before you buy it. If you cant I´m sure you´ll still be happy with any one that you do buy.
Yeah I guess I have to try it out first!

"Coil split humbuckers sound and react more like P-90s than Strat single coils."

Yeah similar to my Eclipse I guess.

"the 513 is an amazing guitar if you really need that many different sounds which it is capable of doing"

Were you able to get a good single coil sound out of it?

Thanks for all the replies btw!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
From what I've heard (have not gotten the chance to play one), the 513's tone is really hit and miss depending on the guitar and the person playing. I had been considering getting one of these for a while, but after starting uni and looking at my finances, I won't have money for a while.

As for the Cu24, you definitely won't get a perfect 'strat tone.' You'll definitely get some really nice and usable single coil sounds, but personally I feel that it really shines with its pickups untapped (mine has a HFS bridge and a VB in the neck).

I've been looking for a more strat-y PRS, haven't really gotten to try much, but I've also been looking at the NF3, DC3, and more recently the Studio. The DC3 will definitely sound closest to a strat, but the NF3 will be able to get slightly more meatier sounds with the NF pickups. The studio would be even heavier with the 'bucker in the bridge. The NF3 has a Korina body, the DC3 a maple, and the studio a mohagany with maple cap, so you might want to take that into account. I would say the DC3 is the one you want of you're looking for a PRS strat.

I haven't really looked into the 305, but I know it retails for a couple hundred more than the DC3.
I hear ya, yeah I'm gonna have to try out a 513 and just see how it sounds. I've heard some great sounds out of it on youtube though, but I guess that Simon McBride can make everything sound good!

Can't wait to get my fingers on some PRS models and see/hear what I like!
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12
check out the NF3
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcD8Da2eVDo

sounds like a single coil/P90 but has the hum cancelling of a humbucker
Guitars
Fender American Standard Strat 2008
Burny late 1980's Super Grade RLG-70 Les Paul
Sterling by Musicman JP50
Fender Classic Series 60's tele
Yamaha FS720S
Amp
Roland Microcube
Fender Blues Junior III Humholdt
Quote by grohl1987
The custom 22's neck isn't any longer, you're thinking of scale length. The custom 22 is the same scale length as the custom 24 and that doesn't effect the tone. The custom 22's neck is always thicker though so that effects the tone and also because it has 2 less frets the neck pickup is able to go in the proper position which changes the tone of that a little. The custom 22 sounds warmer with more bass, especially the neck pickup.

Really you won't get an exact Strat sound out of a PRS. PRS are closer to Gibsons in terms of sound and feel. Coil split humbuckers sound and react more like P-90s than Strat single coils. If you put proper single coils in a PRS then that will get you a bit closer but it's still a much thicker and warmer-toned body you're dealing with.

If you want the same Strat tone but with a new feel, check out Warmoth's 24 3/4" conversion Strat necks.

No the scale length is diffrent. My CE22 is the same as the custom 22 and it has a 24.75" scale and the CU24 has a 25 or 25.5" scale if I remember correctly. as far as tone the 22's will tend to have a little brighter sound, but barely noticeable. The p/u's are what make the real sound diffrence the CU22 has Dragon II's wile the 24's have HFS bridge and a VB neck.
Quote by Robbgnarly
No the scale length is diffrent. My CE22 is the same as the custom 22 and it has a 24.75" scale and the CU24 has a 25 or 25.5" scale if I remember correctly. as far as tone the 22's will tend to have a little brighter sound, but barely noticeable. The p/u's are what make the real sound diffrence the CU22 has Dragon II's wile the 24's have HFS bridge and a VB neck.
Way to get everything wrong. PRS don't make their Custom line in any scale length other than 25". They've made a small handful of guitars in 24.5" scale and a couple of new models in 25.25" and 25.5" scale but that's it and none of those were Customs.

And the thicker neck of the Custom 22 gives a warmer tone and the repositioned neck pickup has an even warmer tone on top. Plus even if a Custom 22 was made with a shorter scale, that wouldn't equal a brighter tone. Shorter scale length equals a warmer tone. Any increase in brightness you might notice in your CE22 is because the CE22 is a bolt-on maple neck whereas the Customs have mahogany set necks. Though if you don't even know the scale length of your guitar I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't notice this obvious fact.
Quote by grohl1987
Way to get everything wrong. PRS don't make their Custom line in any scale length other than 25". They've made a small handful of guitars in 24.5" scale and a couple of new models in 25.25" and 25.5" scale but that's it and none of those were Customs.

And the thicker neck of the Custom 22 gives a warmer tone and the repositioned neck pickup has an even warmer tone on top. Plus even if a Custom 22 was made with a shorter scale, that wouldn't equal a brighter tone. Shorter scale length equals a warmer tone. Any increase in brightness you might notice in your CE22 is because the CE22 is a bolt-on maple neck whereas the Customs have mahogany set necks. Though if you don't even know the scale length of your guitar I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't notice this obvious fact.

your right just checked the prs site, the store where I bought mine said it was the same scale as my Gibson. And yes the malpe neck makes a little diffrence in tone, I never siad it didn't I was refering to the scale length...wich I was wrong
Esp Eclipse II
Fender Strat LoneStar
Martin D35 Custom Shop
Vox Night Train
Vox Heritage cab 1x12