so this is practically the same exact thing that happened to michael angelo batio. But my problem is with economy picking ive been practicing that when i change strings.....I think when i economy pick my body wants to alternate picking but i force it not too and i stumble sometimes hitting the scale ascension perfectly and sometimes fumbling it up....So should i just straight alternate pick? once you get that good at alternate picking its pretty much as smooth as economy anyway....but what do you guys make out of this situation?

Thanks!

(if you want more information ill gladly tell you so you can help me more)
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
TS 808 modded tubescreamer
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
Boss CE-5 Chorus Ensemble
ISP Decimator
1998 Marshall JCM2000 DSL 100
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
so this is practically the same exact thing that happened to michael angelo batio. But my problem is with economy picking ive been practicing that when i change strings.....I think when i economy pick my body wants to alternate picking but i force it not too and i stumble sometimes hitting the scale ascension perfectly and sometimes fumbling it up....So should i just straight alternate pick? once you get that good at alternate picking its pretty much as smooth as economy anyway....but what do you guys make out of this situation?

Thanks!

(if you want more information ill gladly tell you so you can help me more)

I had this problem. I fixed it by using a tip from Rusty cooley and began practising my alternate-picking excercises twice for 2:30 each- the first time I would begin on a downstroke, and the second time on an upstroke. By doing this I am now able to comfortably alternate pick regardless of the initial direction!

Hope that helps you as much as it helped me a lot of people will tell you to practise both alternate AND economy picking, but personally speaking I think it's better to practise the one YOU feel more comfortable with- it's YOUR playing, after all!
Emphasize your strengths so long as you can work around your weaknesses. If you play more efficiently and don't really need to economically pick any given passage, stick with alt. picking. It's not like you're going to need to run scales at 280bpm anytime soon.
Quote by Kevätuhri
Hail isn't too edgy for posts, posts are not edgy enough for Hail.

Quote by UseYourThumb
You win. I'm done here.
@silverspurs What was rusty advice that he gave, ive already learned alot from gilbert too. Yeah i think ill just strictly alternate pick since my body is used to it anyway ill just have to increase speed over the course of some upcoming months here.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
@silverspurs What was rusty advice that he gave, ive already learned alot from gilbert too. Yeah i think ill just strictly alternate pick since my body is used to it anyway ill just have to increase speed over the course of some upcoming months here.

The Rusty Cooley tip was to practise alternate-picking exercises starting in both directions, up AND down even if you prefer starting with a downstroke, so that you can do any lick or scale run without having to think "crap, I need to start this on an downstroke but I just did one.." - it gets rid of the awkwardness, plus you'll be able to move onto the next strings no matter what the direction of picking because you'll have practised it both ways

Rusty's "Art of Picking" DVD is a great one for tons of alternate-picking excercises
ok im not going to make another thread but, i have another question....

i just bought tortex sharpies 1.5mm and since the point is so long you have to choke a lot of the pick. i love its accuracy and the speed....but when i set it to wear i want it. it slips out of the grip when playing fast.... Any reason why? or any advice? i Really like the picks just the tip is insane O.o
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator
Quote by GoodOl'trashbag
ok im not going to make another thread but, i have another question....

i just bought tortex sharpies 1.5mm and since the point is so long you have to choke a lot of the pick. i love its accuracy and the speed....but when i set it to wear i want it. it slips out of the grip when playing fast.... Any reason why? or any advice? i Really like the picks just the tip is insane O.o

I tried those and I didn't like them, they're really accurate which is neat but they kept slipping out of my hand too. I prefer the Ultex Jazz III's because they're still quite accurate and they're small- which forces you to play closer to the string = more accuracy and speed. Plus they're easier to grip because of the raised logo/writing.
Quote by SilverSpurs616
I tried those and I didn't like them, they're really accurate which is neat but they kept slipping out of my hand too. I prefer the Ultex Jazz III's because they're still quite accurate and they're small- which forces you to play closer to the string = more accuracy and speed. Plus they're easier to grip because of the raised logo/writing.

Yeah V pick dimension unbuffed is faster and more grippable then any jazz 3 ive ever tried ( and i own them all, max grip, ultex, johnsons, stiffos, nylon). i think ill stay with the dimension as my pick of choice for now.
GEARZ

Schecter Hellraiser
MXR six band EQ
boss DD-3 digital delay
ISP Decimator