Hey UG,

I'm looking for a new amp to buy. I also need a good cab.

I live in the UK (Wales) and there aren't many good guitar shops around so I can't just go out and try a few different ones.

I have about £700 to spend (If I sell my current amp) at the moment but I can wait until after the summer when I will have about £1000 - £1200 if need be. If it's really needed I can wait until xmas where I'll have about £1500. So basically I have up to around £1500!

I am into heavy/Thrash Metal (e.g Mainly Metallica but do play Slayer, Iron maiden, Machine head etc.). I want quite a tight sounding amp.

My current guitar is a Jackson Demmelition King V with EMG 81/60 pickups.

The cab doesn't need to be anything special. I won't be moving it around much at all so it doesn't really matter about size.

Right now I have been thinking about maybe an ENGL fireball 100 with maybe a zilla cab or something like that

TL : DR: Want amp + cab, up to £1500 to spend. Into heavy/Thrash metal (Mainly Metallica), already have alright guitar (EMG 81/60)

Suggestions?

Thanks UG
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
With £700 you could get a used Laney GH50L, (great amp for the price) I've seen them go for £200 on ebay which is dirt cheap for what they are. Then you have plenty left for a nice cab and a nice boost and that will get really nice thrash tones within your budget.

Since you are in the UK, and the tones you are after are generally hot rodded marshall style tones, you should keep be able to get a good deal eye on the used market for British amps, as I see marshalls, laneys, oranges and blackstars go really cheap.

Also look into the Blackstar Series One and a Marshall JCM 800 (these go cheap all the time)
#ENTITLED
WENGER OUT!!!

lastfm
Thanks. I'll keep an eye out for one of those laney's and try and find somewhere to try one out. I know a store near me with the Blackstar series one range in the store so I'll try and visit them sometime.

Any more suggestions are very helpful
Laney VH100R, Randall KH 4x12 cab, Harley Benton G212V, ESP LTD EC-1000, Jackson Demmelition King V, LTD KH-602, Tanglewood TW170, LTD EX-50, Squire Strat, Zakk Wylde wah, EHX Small Clone, Blackstar HT-5H
You really can't go wrong with a JCM800 and a boost like a tubescreamer, or a Boss SD-1. I'm not sure how much they go for over there, but I know they are cheaper than they are here, so it may be in your budget.

If not, a Laney like mentioned above is an excellent suggestion.

EDIT: This would be even better. http://viewitem.eim.ebay.eu/Marshall-JCM800-Kerry-King/200577734924/item
Spin 'round carousel when your horse isn't screwed in.

My band:
Fractured Instinct
(For fans of Death/Groove/Prog Metal)

Ibanez RGA42E
Ibanez S420
LTD H-301
Ibanez RG520
Peavey Predator USA
Douglas Grendel 725
Line 6 Pod HD500X
Last edited by Offworld92 at Apr 29, 2011,
i agree with the JCM800's...also look into certain Blackstar and Laney amps, cant go wrong with either of them
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
I've heard the JCM 800's aren't good at low volumes. I forgot to mention I play in my bedroom but I play at quite loud bedroom volumes (On my 5 watt tube amp I have the volume on about 3 o'clock).
Ah, well...if your looking for quiet...then look into Laney and Blackstar...both offer lower wattage amps (like 5w, or 20w)...as i mentioned, both are VERY good amp brands. Im actually going to buy the Blackstar HT-60 Soloist very soon...it sounds great at low volumes and when you crank it up...it sounds like heaven on earth lol.

EDIT: I've been told this alot in my time...just because you have all this money...that doesnt mean you have to spend all of it. Personally if i was you, i would spend about 700 on an amp...and put the rest in the bank...sure ENGL's are great amps...but i tried one out at a Guitar Center not to long ago and i didnt think it was worth the money (it was good...but not 2500$ good...thats as much as a used car)

also, if your playing in your bedroom, you dont really need a 4x12 cab...MAYBE a 2x12 cab...because if you buy those, you probably wont be able to turn your volume past 1 without blowing out your windows
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
Last edited by VintageAmigo at Apr 29, 2011,
Hahahah ye I agree. The amp I have at the moment (5w Tube amp) is too quiet for me as the clean channel starts to distort a bit after 12 o'clock and the drive channel sounds a bit strange at very high volumes. I mean I don't even gig or anything so spending £1500 on an amp sounds a bit crazy! I think 50w tube might be ok in my bedroom but I'm not sure, I'll have to try some out next time I go to a guitar shop. Any other amps I should be on the look out for?
Give the orange TH30 a go if you get a chance. Pretty br00talz. With great cleans.

Here it is against a triple rec

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jee9oMzjKRo

Its not the tightest of amps though, an OD in front helps a heap though.

All the Laney stuff kicks ass generally too.
The GH100TI is worth a look, its got a little more balls than the normal GH.
Wow that Orange amp does actually sound pretty good! The shop also has some orange stuff so I'll see if they have that.
Just came off the phone and they have an Orange Thunder 30 and the Blackstar S1 100w head so I NEED to go there!
Any other suggestions are welcome! Another question, how many watts is too many watts for a bedroom amp? I have heard most good amps sound great at low volumes but they just sound much better at higher volumes
Thanks! I will check it out
i'd agree with a hot-rod marshally type amp- all the tones you listed are marshall except machine head (and a hot rod marshall with a boost still gets pretty heavy).

Laney gh50l is very nice for the price, but with the money you have i think you could do better.

The £1500 needs to cover the cab too, right?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes the £1500 needs to cover the amp and cab
k

do you need multiple channels?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Dave_Mc
k

do you need multiple channels?

Just a basic 2 channel amp (clean and overdrive)
ok, cool.

take a look at (in no order):

engl blackmore
koch multitone
laney vh100r and tt50/100h
marshall dsl and jvm (even the tsl, but i prefer the dsl)

there are probably some other obvioius options I've forgotten too...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Will check out some reviews and vids of them. Thanks
no problem
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow that engl blackmore sounds good! And that Laney ain't too bad either! Thanks again Dave
yeah the blackmore is my favourite of the cheaper engls- it sounds as good/almost as good as the dearer ones, just doesn't have as many features (whereas things like the screamer, while still very nice amps for the money, don't sound just as good as the more expensive ones). If you don't mind shared eq, and a slightly more vintage tonality (it's more 80s marshall than a lot of the other engls), then it's great.

the laney's very nice too... I'd probably prefer the engl but the laney has a lot more features.

Does depend on the tone you prefer, though, the engl is more refined, the laney more raw.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Yes I think I like the sound of the 80's Marshall better aswell. Will have to find somewhere to check it out