A federal court has given the Obama administration the go-ahead to continue embryonic stem cell research.

The controversial 2-1 decision Friday is a victory for supporters of federally funded testing for a range of diseases and illnesses.

The U.S. Court of Appeals for the District of Columbia lifted an injunction imposed last year by a federal judge, who said all embryonic stem cell research at the National Institutes of Health amounted to destruction of embryos, in violation of congressional spending laws.

The case is Sherley v. Sebelius (10-5287).

http://news.blogs.cnn.com/2011/04/29/court-lifts-ban-on-government-funding-stem-cell-research/
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
good shit.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

This is ridiculous. It's so wrong to take the life of an unborn child just to do sick medical experiments.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Let the stem cell chaos begin.
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Yes.
When you saw me sleeping
thought I was dreaming
of you...

I didn't tell you
That the only dream
Is Valium for me
Quote by rgrockr
This is ridiculous. It's so wrong to take the life of an unborn child just to do sick medical experiments.

Stem cells can also be harvested from the umbilical cord bud...
Quote by rgrockr

That's not where stem cells used in research come from...

OT: Good, it's about time. Stem cells will save lives.
Fender American Vintage '62 Stratocaster
Gibson Les Paul Custom
TC Electronic Polytune
Danelectro Blue Paisley
EHX Big Muff Pi w/ Tone Wicker
Dunlop Crybaby
EHX Deluxe Memory Boy
Egnater Tweaker

Quote by Jackal58
Yer pretty fly for a Canadian.
Quote by wizards?
Stem cells can also be harvested from the umbilical cord bud...

and the placenta
Quote by rgrockr

Except, you know, stem cells can come from the placenta as well. I'm pretty sure you don't need to do anything with the baby to obtain the stem cells from the placenta.

Edit: Super-ninja'd.

Anyways, good news, it's about time yo.
Last edited by SlayingDragons at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by rgrockr

I suspect that you're trolling, but regardless it should be pointed out that the embryos that would be used for research would die anyway as they are generally the extra ones produced from IVF treatment.
http://www.spinneypress.com.au/178_book_desc.html">http://classic-web.archive.org/web/20080201224807/http://www.spinneypress.com.au/178_book_desc.html
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
finally. THANK YOU OBAMA!! Now if they can do something about this stupid economy.....
ITT I predict several people who have never heard of Adult Stem Cells and the already FDA-approved treatments that use them.
^ Well now I just think you're an ass.

I had the answer and you took that away from me.

Quote by rgrockr

Induced pluripotent stem cells.
I'm too lazy to google it, but can't stem cells potentially rebuild damaged nervous systems? I'm not saying we're "there yet," but is that a possibility, or am I missing the concept?
NEWS-****ING-FLASH, the Government HAS funded research of Stem Cells for a while, just not Embryonic Stem Cells, which pretty much consists of using a baby as a petri dish to test on, which actually has been deemed a lot less useful than PLURIPOTENT Stem Cells, which has more benefits than Embryonic, without the controversy.

The whole debate is so ****ing retarded, both sides arguing when they have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. Listen to the Goddamned scientists...
Keep you doped with religion and sex and TV
And you think you're so clever and class less and free
But you're still fucking peasants as far as I can see

A working class hero is something to be.
Fucking finally.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz
NEWS-****ING-FLASH, the Government HAS funded research of Stem Cells for a while, just not Embryonic Stem Cells, which pretty much consists of using a baby as a petri dish to test on, which actually has been deemed a lot less useful than PLURIPOTENT Stem Cells, which has more benefits than Embryonic, without the controversy.

The whole debate is so ****ing retarded, both sides arguing when they have no ****ing idea what they are talking about. Listen to the Goddamned scientists...

Exactly. Embryonic stem cells are more likely to be rejected by the patient than the ASC's that come straight from the patient's own body, a large obstacle that researchers would either need to overcome or simply sidestep by focusing research on ASC's/Pluripotent/whatever you prefer to call them.
Yes. they are Hoping to use stem cells to cure cancer. the main thing they are thinking is that anything is possible with a stem cell
Quote by rgrockr
Exactly. Embryonic stem cells are more likely to be rejected by the patient than the ASC's that come straight from the patient's own body, a large obstacle that researchers would either need to overcome or simply sidestep by focusing research on ASC's/Pluripotent/whatever you prefer to call them.

There simply is no reason to use Embryonic over Pluripotent, Pluripotent can also turn into more cells than Embryonic.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
There simply is no reason to use Embryonic over Pluripotent, Pluripotent can also turn into more cells than Embryonic.

Let's not jump to conclusions, a large portion of the assumptions on ESCs have yet to be, well..Researched.

Furthermore, ESCs are pluripotent. Use iPS.
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Will do:

"We should be able to study both adult and embryonic stem cells and ultimately let the science decide which of the cells will be best for treatment.

Scientists want more embryonic stem cell lines (there are currently 78 embryonic stem cell lines) from IVF embryos around the world. Existing ones cannot be used in people because they are grown on mouse tissue and might transmit animal viruses, and not many are good quality. In Australia 70,000 surplus IVF embryos are available."
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

I remember writing a paper on stem-cell research 4 years ago when i was a freshman, can't they take the embroyonic cell and manipulate it so as it matures it becomes whatever type of cell they desire? And the adult stem cell has already matured? Or something like that. I don't exactly remember. I've just heard adult stem cells are more likely to become the desired cells and are more reliable
Quote by ErikLensherr
Don't belittle it like that, your mom produces top quality stuff.

C4C
[thread="1339859"]Hammerhead[/thread]
[thread="1341152"]Anglerfish[/thread]

VOTE
Thrustor: 2012
Last edited by vicarious46 at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by Epicbizzjizz

Wrong. Embryonic stem cells are totipotent, meaning they can differentiate into ANY cell. Pluripotent cells are promising, yes, but they don't offer quite the options that totipotent cells do.

Also, humans are deuterostomes, meaning that they have indeterminate cleavage. Meaning you could take a stem cell from a human embryo at a very early stage, and it would still develop perfectly fine. This is what is often done with IVF to collect stem cells.

I swear if people had a rudimentary knowledge about biology, the world would be such a simpler place...
Quote by vicarious46
I remember writing a paper on stem-cell research 4 years ago when i was a freshman, can't they take the embroyonic cell and manipulate it so as it matures it becomes whatever type of cell they desire? And the adult stem cell has already matured? Or something like that. I don't exactly remember. I've just heard adult stem cells are more likely to become the desired cells and are more reliable

Scientific American had an article on it a while, and the idea that pluripotent cells are much more preferable as they can become any cell they want, embryonic have already differentiated slightly, making a range of cells impossible to research.

Quote by Epicbizzjizz
Scientific American had an article on it a while, and the idea that pluripotent cells are much more preferable as they can become any cell they want, embryonic have already differentiated slightly, making a range of cells impossible to research.

No, wrong again. Read above. Pluripotent cells CANNOT become any cell.
Quote by TomusAM
I'm too lazy to google it, but can't stem cells potentially rebuild damaged nervous systems? I'm not saying we're "there yet," but is that a possibility, or am I missing the concept?

From my understanding of the potential of stem cells, they can do everything pretty much, like Wolverine type stuff from my understanding, but yes that is a big part of it, hence the Christopher Reeves episode of South Park. Correct me if I'm wrong somebody, but don't stem cells work in a way where they can mimic other cells, and essential grow dead or nonexistant tissue that would match the host's blood type and other requirements? I heard one big deal they want to do is grow organs from them that would be specific to the recipient.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
Quote by TomusAM

Kind of. Stem Cells can be used to repair spinal cord injuries (I.E. help people walk again).
This ends now, eat the goddamn beans!
woot! Future, here we come
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
I NEED TO CHANGE MY USERNAME

• Agile AL-3XXX Custom Tobacco Sunburst w/ EMG 57/66
  • ESP LTD EC-1000T CTM Black w/ Seymour Duncan Blackouts
  • Jet City JCA100HDM w/ Avatar Contemporary 2x12 Cab
  • Seymour Duncan 805 Overdrive
  • Dunlop OG Crybaby Wah
  • MXR Smartgate
Woah. The case name is interesting.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rgrockr

do I need to say more?
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"