Page 1 of 2
I'm sure many of you have heard the insane claims that we may be the last generation to have to age and how long our lifespans could be expanded. There are even claims of curing death from aging, leaving only disease and violent death.

That made me think about how much of what we do is because of that unknown deadline. I mean, art would change dramatically if everyone just forgets death, you could put off that project you definitely want to do indefinitely. I mean perhaps death is what keeps us from going completely stagnant in an increasingly stale lifestyle.

I don't know though, I mean, I personally am afraid of death, partially because the act may be painful, but mostly because I'm agnostic and it truly is unknown what's on the other side, we can speculate, but that's about it, and I'm just not comfortable with relying on a speculation.

So what do you guys think of it. Suppose there was a perfect cure? How dramatically would that change everything? Infrastructure? We'd almost definitely have to sterilize anyone who takes it. What of this idea of playing god the way we want to.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
I wouldn't want to live in such a shitty world forever, to be honest.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
We would all go hungry and starve since there would be too many humans.
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
I don't believe in Immortality. God told me so.

*awaits argument*
E-married to BlessedRebel15
Most Attractive Female 2011 ^^
Dark Black Rivers in the WinterTime
Quote by CrunchyRoll
I'm not sure if you're aware of this or not, but everything is against the rules at UG
Quote by :Vicious--

*awaits argument*

Why argue against fact?
Quote by progdude93
my fetish is dudes with dicks small enough to pee on their own sacks.
Quote by :Vicious--

*awaits argument*

agreed
Quote by Jostry
We would all go hungry and starve since there would be too many humans.

Well there'd have to be sterilization of some sort. I don't know.

To the guy above, the world isn't shitty, we're just overly cynical. The world is whatever you make of it in my personal opinion. Really, when was the last time any of us felt real pain? People aren't as bad as we make them out to be, most people, believe it or not are a lot more like you than you realize.
We would truly screw over the world.
^^The above is a Cryptic Metaphor^^

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
well the effects would vary on who got a hold of this cure. say if we had had this cure when Einstein was around we may have been further ahead than we are. but if terrorists or even harsher rulers (Libya, Former Egypt, etc.) had it, it cause more problems than it could fix. its an interesting theory but i cant think of many people who would choose eternal life over death. especially if you were to be the only one to have it. Having to watch your friends and family die around you constantly would be a horrible prospect, though you may grow numb to it over time., You could be excruciatingly intelligent but also mad with loss, insane from years spent mostly by yourself with little social interaction. The short term benefits sound wonderful, but the long term effects seem to outweigh what you could achieve after a couple hundred years of life. Death will be welcomed when it comes, as it cannot,and should not, be stopped. It is a totally natural part of life and we all share that fear about where we end up after we pass on.
Stuff that I bought:

Washburn WM24V
Raven RG100 Amplifier
Zoom G1X Multi-Effects Pedal

Quote by jsync
how do you define a guitar for a female?
how about one that whines and has trouble with feedback?
Last edited by Destinyrider22 at Apr 29, 2011,
hell on earth
Quote by archerygenious
Jesus Christ since when is the Pit a ****ing courtroom...

Like melodic, black, death, symphonic, and/or avant-garde metal? Want to collaborate? Message me!
Quote by rockingamer2
We would truly screw over the world.

Surely with more longevity though comes more wisdom. Oh god, imagine immortal teabaggers. No, they wouldn't accept the cure, we could put Obama's face on it or something.

Quote by Destinyrider22
well the effects would vary on who got a hold of this cure. say if we had had this cure when Einstein was around we may have been further ahead than we are. but if terrorists or even harsher rulers (Libya, Former Egypt, etc.) had it, it cause more problems than it could fix. its an interesting theory but i cant think of many people who would choose eternal life over death. especially if you were to be the only one to have it. Having to watch your friends and family die around you constantly would be a horrible prospect, though you may grow numb to it over time., You could be excruciatingly intelligent but also mad with loss, insane from years spent mostly by yourself with little social interaction. The short term benefits sound wonderful, but the long term effects seem to outweigh what you could achieve after a couple hundred years of life. Death will be welcomed when it comes, as it cannot,and should not, be stopped. It is a totally natural part of life and we all share that fear about where we end up after we pass on.

But I don't mean exclusive to you, I mean like innoculation.
Last edited by tayroar at Apr 29, 2011,
Quote by tayroar
Surely with more longevity though comes more wisdom. Oh god, imagine immortal teabaggers. No, they wouldn't accept the cure, we could put Obama's face on it or something.

People want to control, so if we lived forever then...

I dunno. I just finished reading the book Ishmael. Things are really flying around in my head.

"To know the truth of history is to realize its ultimate myth and its inevitable ambiguity." Everything is made up and the facts don't matter.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
Quote by rockingamer2
People want to control, so if we lived forever then...

I dunno. I just finished reading the book Ishmael. Things are really flying around in my head.

Share man, I've never heard of the book. Honestly this was inspired a bit by reading Hellboy and he fought Koschei the Deathless, and all I could think of how messed up that would be to be completely immortal like him. I mean, he will only get rest if he gets sucked into a singularity during or maybe even after the death of our sun.
death gives meaning to life. if we had infinite time to live, there wouldn't be real consequences to any action because we would all live past their reach.

also the human mind is not designed to live forever...imagine all the important things about your life that you'd forget in like a thousand years.
Quote by tayroar
Share man, I've never heard of the book. Honestly this was inspired a bit by reading Hellboy and he fought Koschei the Deathless, and all I could think of how messed up that would be to be completely immortal like him. I mean, he will only get rest if he gets sucked into a singularity during or maybe even after the death of our sun.

Well, essentially, it's a view of humans and our civilization and stuff from an animal's perspective. The main character is a gorilla.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ishmael_%28novel%29

I liked it. It has a lot of new ideas that got me to think "outside" our way of thinking.

MUSIC THEORY LINK
It'd be horrible. Think how long it takes for society to progress now, because of people clinging to outdated ideas and prejudice. Now imagine that extended indefinitely.
In a sociology course I took, the professor told us that scientists are close to discovering how to stop us from aging. They did experiments on rats where they removed some organ...can't remember what it was and well the rats lived longer than the ones who had all their organs intact.

The theory is that it's a hormone.

I would like to live long. As long as it isn't boring. The human race still has a lot to achieve and I want to see it.
I think it is an awesome concept. Anyone thinking it would suck, can go die. Literally, ho ho ho.
Quote by metaldud536
In a sociology course I took, the professor told us that scientists are close to discovering how to stop us from aging. They did experiments on rats where they removed some organ...can't remember what it was and well the rats lived longer than the ones who had all their organs intact.

The theory is that it's a hormone.

I would like to live long. As long as it isn't boring. The human race still has a lot to achieve and I want to see it.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't understand why its so stupid to want to live long. Things are only getting more comfortable, and really when was the last time any of us experienced real trouble, I don't see what we have to be so cynical about. Those stories on the news are happening to a fringe of people, that's why it makes the news.

But the wierdest thing to me, is the only fictional culture that was immortal that I know of is Tolkien's Elves. Think about how much of our art is about death in some way. Think of an entire generation not understand that...fear...that dread. People can say they're not afraid of death until they're blue in the face, but if you put a gun in their face I'm sure they'd piss their pants.
Last edited by tayroar at Apr 30, 2011,
This reminds me a bit of my favorite quote of all time: "There's no point in living if you can't feel alive." (from The World is Not Enough)

Seriously, the fear of death is what makes us feel alive.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
I don't want immortality. A limit of time gives us a purpose to really try to live and make an impact. Believing we're preparing for another life can be a waste, and when you die, your only guaranteed chance to experience is gone. I quote Isaac Brock, "You wasted life, why wouldn't you waste the afterlife?"
Immortality also has another flaw. Personally, I don't think eternal pleasure can exist, because you can't be infinitely happy for an infinite amount of time, because there is a standard that is set. Eventually, that standard will be the supposed "ultimate happiness". Then, it will cease to be happiness. You always need more, and that "ultimate happiness" will turn into an average, non-excited feeling.
Quote by rgrockr
This reminds me a bit of my favorite quote of all time: "There's no point in living if you can't feel alive." (from The World is Not Enough)

Seriously, the fear of death is what makes us feel alive.

I don't know about that. The instinctual knowledge that doing something is what makes you feel alive. I mean think about it this way, and realize that these cures for aging would only affect death from natural causes losing your head or being shot up or any physical death can still happen, but roller coasters are fun because they simulate dangerous activity while keeping you safe.

Logically, you know that you won't die, that's why you go on them, but instinctively your gut goes, holy f*ck I'm falling off a mountain. Unless we just instantly evolve out of our brain stem I doubt those rushes would go away.
We're talking about not aging so to say, right? Because my body would be extremely frail by long before ~200 years.
If everybody was immortal I'd have to cut everybody's heads off.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
Quote by Grimriffer
If everybody was immortal I'd have to cut everybody's heads off.

I'd be the guy who didn't get his head fully severed and sewed it back together, and I'd run around New York City with a broadsword.

I never understood why they used swords in that movie. Guns can remove a head without the difficulty.
Quote by blackflag49
It'd be horrible. Think how long it takes for society to progress now, because of people clinging to outdated ideas and prejudice. Now imagine that extended indefinitely.

I agree with this. This would be a pretty big problem. Imagine Kim Jong Il ruling North Korea for another 200 years.
Quote by tayroar
I'd be the guy who didn't get his head fully severed and sewed it back together, and I'd run around New York City with a broadsword.

I never understood why they used swords in that movie. Guns can remove a head without the difficulty.

Such are the rules of the battle.
THE SOLE PURPOSE OF THIS SIG IS TO GRAB YOUR ATTENTION TO THIS POST OF UTTER GENIUS
If no one died, things would change quite dramatically practically instantly.
Quote by metaldud536

This.

I'm not tapping out until we can fly ships in space like in Star Wars. Space shuttles aren't doing it for me.
Every poster on here is a 6-foot Catholic schoolgirl with an 8-inch penis and riches beyond my wildest dreams.
Not many people live to grow that ****ing old,

I can't name a single person who's died of old age, it's always disease, cancer, and shit of that sort.

Be happy if you get to your current life expectancy.
Although I normally support all of science's advancements and the steps people take to achieve them, this is something that is a definite no for me.

Death is not a disease and needs no cure.
🙈 🙉 🙊
meh, I'd just kill myself by my 50. Prob gonna be one of the 27 club already with my current lifestyle
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Could you hand me some of that weed you're smoking?
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
The cure for death is simple. Don't die.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
Considering we can also, basically fly, solve a good deal of age old mysteries through science, space travel, time travel into the future, bring people back from the dead, shoot lazer beams, etc... etc... etc... and now possibly immortality...

...it makes me think that most if not all of the ancient and great civilizations would now quite possibly look at us as if we were gods based on their conceptions of a deity. I don't feel like a god, though. Do you? I wonder why we don't.

I wonder if God does.
Quote by Pagan_Poetry
Sadly this is Ultimate-guitar, not Simple-guitar. We can't help you.

Quote by stratkat
Not many people live to grow that ****ing old,

I can't name a single person who's died of old age, it's always disease, cancer, and shit of that sort.

Be happy if you get to your current life expectancy.

You do know that dying of old age is pretty much just a euphemism for disease, cancer and "shit of that sort", right?
Perhaps slowing it down to a 60-70% rate, but I think we'll go insane if we were to live -- practically -- forever.
Page 1 of 2