Hey everyone,

I recently started playing my 12 string again, after keeping it in its case for about a year or so, and I've been trying to think of ways to really inspire me to use it some more.

I have used Nashville tuning before, on my old strat, and having a few years expirience in playing double course strings, with my mandolin, I think that it would be physically possible, and easy to play, but I'm wondering if it'll sound too bright and annoying.

In case it isn't clear, Nashville tuning on a 6 string is the higher course strings of a 12 string. I plan to use 2 sets of Nashville strings, strung in unison, as opposed to octaves, on my 12 string.

Has anyone ever tried this with a 12 string? Let me know how it went, before I go and buy 2 packs of strings

Bryn

x
I've never tried it, but I'll tell you how it'll sound. It'll sound like a 6 string guitar in Nashville tuning played through a chorus pedal.
Quote by Kilty Boxers
What is Nashville tuning?

EADGBE, but an octave higher. normally like the extra strings on the 12 string guitar
Quote by Sanity Pretense
EADGBE, but an octave higher. normally like the extra strings on the 12 string guitar

Except the 2 highest strings are the same as standard tuning.
So, Octave E, Octave A, Octave D,Octave G, B, E?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
I'm sure it would be very, very twangy...

My only concern is the size of the nut slots for the smaller strings...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
Since his name is in green does that mean he is a mod?
Hi, you're better than me. Have a nice day!
I'm thinking it may be hard on the bridge , with the extra tension. Just a guess on my part. The shop that I hang out at see a lot of 12 strings with lifting bridges (with normal tuning).
^ Smaller strings, less tension...

Gear:
Partscaster/Tele into a bunch of pedals, a Maz 18 head, and a Z Best cab.
I've always considered the purpose of Nashville tuning to make a 6 string sound like a 12. I really don't see a point in using it on a 12, but would love to hear how it comes out.