I'm not certain if this belongs here but, since you guys all seem pretty building savvy....My friend and I both have guitars like this; My 5-string bass has a 'USED' imprinted on the top of the headstock, right above where it says, "Designed and Backed by Fender. Crafted in Indonesia" then the serial number. The same thing is on his Squier Guitar, any clue on what this means, besides it was used at some point. I mean if it was like a bad product or what.......Thanks
Perhaps it was a test piece. I know when a guitar has some flaws they'll stamp "Factory Second" which implies that it works fine but maybe the wood grain didn't match up right or it got dinged in manufacture.
My thinking would be that this "Used" stamp means that someone in quality control may have used it for performance to test it out.
Wouldn't it be cool if there was something magical that appeared on a guitar as soon as it was touched by a human? </sarcasm> So what if its used? I use my guitars, thats what they are for, to be used. Anyone who buys a guitar and doesn't use it it a moron. Anyone who thinks using a guitar makes it inferior is also a moron. A good used guitar is as valuable as a new guitar. Of course I'm so glad that people selling guitars dont know this.
I'm fine, I was just curious as to if there was an alterior meaning to it. Frankly it doesn't matter to me if it's used, it plays good for me so i don't care. But it's good to know about what it means.
Quote by RebuildIt
Wouldn't it be cool if there was something magical that appeared on a guitar as soon as it was touched by a human? </sarcasm> So what if its used? I use my guitars, thats what they are for, to be used. Anyone who buys a guitar and doesn't use it it a moron. Anyone who thinks using a guitar makes it inferior is also a moron. A good used guitar is as valuable as a new guitar. Of course I'm so glad that people selling guitars dont know this.

Someone got their Wheaties pissed in! and no, people do realize used guitars are valuable, look how much vintage fenders have appreciated
the prices of any name brand guitar are regulated, which means that a seller can't sell them for below a certain price, no matter how many he buys wholesale (if the seller bought a thousand, the unit cost would obviously cheaper than if he bought 5)

ie the wholesale cost of a BC Rich bronze can be anywhere from $100-$200, depending on how many you ordered from the supplier. I think the lowest you can sell them form is $199, and the MSRP is $329 I think? So if I ordered 500 bronze Warlocks at a cost to me of, say, $130 each, I wouldn't be allowed to sell them for $150, even though I'd still make a profit. The lowest I'm allowed to charge, according to the manufacturer, is $199. If I charged any less, I'd be underselling the manufacturer (or wholesaler) and I'd either be cut off or sued.

UNLESS I stamp (USED) on the back of the headstock! That's what it's for :-)

(If you wanted to get ride of it, fill in the "USED" with an artists brush and paint/veneer over it; the same way you'd fix a deep scratch)

*Dollar values are estimates only!