I've always had this problem. I think I'm a decent singer, and I can play guitar and bass just fine with great timing, but I've never been able to sing and play at the same time. I can do it if I'm just playing whole notes, or if the rhythms are similar or at least really simple.

I feel like it may be because when I started playing guitar, I didn't sing at all. I focused all of my attention on my hands playing guitar. Now, when I try to sing, I have a lot of trouble diverting my attention to both. If I practice a riff so long that it I don't even have to think about it to play it, I can sing over it slightly better, but I always mess up bad enough that I have to stop and think about where I am. I'll mess up even from thinking of the vocals in my head without singing anything. I can't talk while I'm playing either, or my hands will get mixed up.

Whats really frustrating is that it appears as though some people can just naturally do it. I feel like that can't be the case... there has to be something I'm just not fully comprehending or something. Maybe I'm trippin and I just suck.

Anybody have some advice? Do I need to just practice my ****ing ass off or is there an easier way to approach this?
I play guitar in a funky death metal band called Lobotomizer. Listen to our demo here.
I also slap the bass and I'm learning how to tame the sax.
I go to school at Ex'pression College for Digital Arts. Any questions about it? Ask me.
Practicing your ass off is probably the best way. I would know both the vocal and the guitar parts absolutely inside out, play-em-in-your sleep, without having to think about it. Also, practice singing and playing together, but slowly. Get the rhythm down, the way the words combine with the riffs, and where they deviate.
I'm in no way an expert at this and to be honest I think I'm a rather shit singer. But I had the same problem, and I realy wanted to overcome it. So what I started to do while I was playing the guitar part, I started humming the melody to the vocal. It's easier if have an earphone in one year and just follow that. Don't worry about the words just yet, just get the melody, timing and notes right. At first you'll screw up a few times but just KEEP GOING. Don't stop and start the song again, just keep going. And once you got that down, start saying/mumbling the words or just so they sound like the words. Concentrate on keeping time and rhythm. Then just progressively start singing more and more of the words themselves and it'll get easier
I went from being totally unco to getting there pretty well in the space of about...6 hours of practive over a week? Do songs you love to sing/play so that you stay motivated
hope this helps!
What helped me a ton is to just choose a power chord and strum it as if the guitar is a metronome and sing to the rhythm. The trick to it, for me at least, was coming to understand that your hands know what they're doing without you having to harp on it all the time - once you trust that, you can split your attention more effectively, but ultimately it just comes from keeping at it. There's no real 'trick,' but this is what worked for me.
Do you feel warm within your cage?

And have you figured out yet -

Life goes by?
Quote by Hydra150
There's a dick on Earth, too
It's you
Find something that you can roll, like a necklace, ring, whatever. Something like:

http://www4.clikpic.com/carina1975/images/IMG_1978web.jpg

There you can practice ALL the rhythms, while listening to music. I usually did it in the bus. There goes a song with a moderato rhythm, you roll it DDU UDU. After that, comes the song with slow rock rhythm, bass-bass-chord-bass.

I don't know if I explained it right, but it helped A LOT to me... Try it.
well i started playing in dec 2010 mostly because i love to sing and i thought it'd be so much fun to play my fave songs. when i started i started to play the melody first and then sing the words. it was a little hard at first i was like wtf it seems hard to sing and play but after a few tries it comes naturally trust me
Start with some songs where the singer / songwriter plays the guitar. there usually written in a way where the lyric melody fits easily over the rhythm of the guitar, and line up with the chord changes.

There's really 2 types of songs.. 1 that you can tell the singer wrote the music, and the other where it's fully near imposable to play and sing at the same time.

very easy songs to sing and play - Horse with no name - America. Today - smashing pumpkins, most any neil young.

Start with those, even if it's not your kind of music it will help.
start with green day songs, there pretty basic on the guitar. after a few simple green day songs try say it aint so by weezer.im no professional teacher or anything, but thats how i did it, and it worked for me
Quote by jasonofthestorm
I've always had this problem. I think I'm a decent singer, and I can play guitar and bass just fine with great timing, but I've never been able to sing and play at the same time. I can do it if I'm just playing whole notes, or if the rhythms are similar or at least really simple.

I feel like it may be because when I started playing guitar, I didn't sing at all. I focused all of my attention on my hands playing guitar. Now, when I try to sing, I have a lot of trouble diverting my attention to both. If I practice a riff so long that it I don't even have to think about it to play it, I can sing over it slightly better, but I always mess up bad enough that I have to stop and think about where I am. I'll mess up even from thinking of the vocals in my head without singing anything. I can't talk while I'm playing either, or my hands will get mixed up.

Whats really frustrating is that it appears as though some people can just naturally do it. I feel like that can't be the case... there has to be something I'm just not fully comprehending or something. Maybe I'm trippin and I just suck.

Anybody have some advice? Do I need to just practice my ****ing ass off or is there an easier way to approach this?

Yeah, I think it's just down to how focused and good at multitasking you are. The first ever time I tried playing and singing, I played Holy Wars by Megadeth, I found it rather easy. So just practice!
Itl come, i started with sum 41/blink 182 songs, 5 days later the red chillis are nailed. Some indeed have a bit more trouble with it as most, but like most things everybody can do them you just really need to want it and devote your time to it. Ohyeahbtwnevergiveup.
Quote by Holy Katana
Your last job only paid you $7.00 AUD an hour? That's like $6.05 in the US. What the hell is the minimum wage over there?

Quote by titsmcgee852
$0 for volunteer work

ollollolollol

^
I was talkin to the guitarist from Assasinate the Following who sweeps and taps while singing. All he had to say is to learn the guitar until it is subconscious. Do the same with the vocals. Just learn them till you get that feeling like "ugh, im playing this again..."

Then try putting them together.

Thats what I do, and I can play pretty much anything on bass while singing. It just takes time and patience.
play with a cd really helps to keep all your timing in check
also before you play a song think about what parts of the music are the words anchored from
Quote by ChucklesMginty
If God didn't want people to be gay why did he put a G spot in our asses?
The above. Make it so your hands remember the guitar parts, and your mouth remembers the words.
Close one eye, step to the side

Call me Chris, I'm not gunna make a new profile after having this one 9 years.
It needs a sense of multitasking for sure, both have different timing patterns.

You need to find a way to think to make it easier to process both singing and playing at the same time, and practice practice practice.
"I can't talk while I'm playing either...." DO IT! Talking to your friend or your parents or girlfriend or whoever is extremely helpful when teaching yourself to sing and play at the same time. You don't have to be super focused when you talk, so it's a nice stepping stone to being able to sing and play.
I can sing and play but it gets really hard when the strumming/picking is out of sync with syllables and all, you just really need to practice.
I break the song down into small sections --it works for me anyway
when i started off it was for enter sandman...mainly coz it was steady chugging so the rhythm is pretty easy to keep...but if u like try going for country songs or songs that call for a lotta strumming...they usually call for open chords which are easy enough to switch...and try improving urself from that point...its just a skill u gotta pick up like learning to play the guitar