Love my strat except for the harshness of the bridge pickup. As such, I plan to buy and pop in a new bridge pickup that has some low-end, and that isn't as shrill, both so I can happily use it on more aggressive rhythms, and because it's just painful as-is.

I was considering rewiring the middle tone control to the bridge pickup though, or wiring the neck tone as a master tone, and the middle tone knob to blend in the bridge pickup in positions 1 and 2 to get the bridge-neck and all-on sounds you can't normally get. I always hear people say that adding that to the circuit eats some high-end, which makes sense from an electronic standpoint.

So, short and sweet, how big is this difference?
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
I'm not sure the answer to your question, but have you considered buying warmer pots?
You can call me Aaron.

♠♣♥♦
Out on parole, any more instances of plum text and I get put back in...
Quote by biga29
I'm not sure the answer to your question, but have you considered buying warmer pots?

I'm using 250k right now, as far as I know, without going to the ridiculously low 25k pots actives use, which would just sound muffled on passives if I understand things probably, that's about as low as it goes. Plus that removes highs, but doesn't add fatness. Plus I like the way the other pickups sound.
THE FORUM UPDATE KILLED THE GRADIENT STAR

Baltimore Orioles: 2014 AL Eastern Division Champions, 2017: 50-54
Baltimore Ravens: 2012 World Champions, 2017: 0-0
2017 NFL Pick 'Em: 0-0
Wiring the middle tone pot for the bridge pickup is what I'd do. IMO its a lot more useful than having a tone pot for the middle pickup.
If you don't like that, then start looking for a new pickup.
There is a mod, that I've only heard of and never seen, where one takes a push/pull pot, and in normal use, the tone knob will control the middle, and when pulled out, it switches the Bridge P-up to a fixed tone level by adding an extra resistor into it's circuit, while still controlling the middle tone. I couldn't provide a link or a diagram, but if it seems like something you'd like to do, I'm sure the guys in GB&C could help you find out more.

EDIT: I forgot to address your question! Silly me. Making the middle tone pot work for the bridge and middle is apparently fairly easy, because all you're doing is bridging two connectors. It's also fairly common; I couldn't imagine it'd change the sound that much.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Last edited by kangaxxter at Apr 30, 2011,