Now there may be a thread about this already, something like "what others think about you", my search function was acting funny right now and it wasn't going through.

But this is much deeper than that.

Something that has been on my mind, or rather, dominated my mind, is the thought of how others perceive you. It's something that I've always struggled with growing up. I've always done things according to how others will think of me. It's not so much what I'm doing, or how I'm doing it, but what others are thinking of me at the time I'm doing something.

I was just wondering if anyone else has struggled with this before? I feel like I'm cooped up, waiting for the door to my cage to open, so that I can fly out and be free.

[an afterthought]

But one would argue that waiting for the door to open is pointless, because one should do something about the closed door instead of waiting for something to happen. But how does one muster up the strength to do something about the closed door? I'll just stop right there...
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Well sometimes I do things that will be considered "normal" for people but I also like having my own, I guess sense of style in the way I think. I guess I do that subconsciously but most of the time I get paranoid around people and I have to find a way to be alone.
STಠ_ಠ
i have a very dry and sarcastic sense of humour, and so most people who don't know me too well think i'm an asshole. (though i very well could be. i'm not sure.) also, i tend to laugh when in overly-emotional situations, such as tragedies. again, most people write it off to me being a total asshole, but what i really laugh at is people's reactions to those tragedies.
All the way from Palm Springs, just out of detox.
Show him a warm welcome, let's hear some applause
I'm probably looked upon as a freak. I've got albinism, so I have white hair and pale skin.
ERROR 0x45: Signature not found
Large loud and intimidating.
At least that's what I've been told. Don't particularly care how others perceive me.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
You should be careful what you say. Some asshole will probably sig it.

Quote by Axelfox
Yup, a girl went up to me in my fursuit one time.

Quote by Xiaoxi
I can fap to this. Keep going.
I'm ginger, never that much of a serious guy and ever since I saw Truman Show I always think "how would other people see me doin *what I'm doin*??" so sometimes I do things differently on purpose because "it'd look better from their pov"

People prob think I'm a nutcase anyway, I'm barely serious unless I really like people or I know I can trust them
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
Others perceive me as kinda quite, and weird but to be honest I don't want to change it cuz that's just how my personality flows.
And I seem to attract weird people so its all good
The only thing I would change about myself is that I say the wrong thing at like the worst time possible fairly often
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

Last edited by FireFromTheVoid at Apr 30, 2011,
Wait, PAUL GILBERT ISN'T DEAD!!!!!!!

And I couldn't care less about myself. I just try to treat others how I would like to be treated and all my friends are supportive of my decisions and I'm supportive of theirs. Tis a win-win situation you see
I have no idea how others perceive me. From the looks of it I don't make good impressions so I'm caring about it less and less.
Quote by Ian_the_fox
You're not girly enough of a boy for me, and you're not man enough to take the top. So like, sorry bitch but you ain't mine! Sorry.
Do whatever makes you happy and don't worry if other people think less of you for it.

Unless you're a pedophile, in which case you might want to keep those urges under control.
Some people find me scary, i don't really know why, but if i had to guess, i think it is because i go on rants quite alot, but it is hard to make me really angry, and i don't lash out on people that i care about.
WHOMP

Think of that next time you are not allowed to laugh.
I thought I wasn't normal thinking about this sometimes... guess there is other people that think about this too.

Every time I throughly think about what others think of me, I get depressed. It's just not something I like to think about.
I've been thinking about this a lot latley, usually when I'm bored at work or when I'm stoned.

It's a weird thing to come to terms with. I've got to know myself a bit better through some deep thought about the subject. At first I didn't like how people percieved me, but then I realised that wasn't actually who I am because I was high as balls and viewing myself as a completly different person. It's hard to explain.

I'm glad others have been pondering it aswell recently.
People who don't know me will say that I never talk, which is true. I think my friends see me as a bit more outgoing, relaxed and funny at times but apart from that I really don't know.
cat
Don't know how they perceive me nor do I really give a shit
Quote by UntilISleep
You have excellent taste in literature, dear sir

Quote by Primus2112
You have excellent taste in video games, good sir.

Quote by GbAdimDb5m7
You have terrible taste in signatures, idiotic sir.

kkoo
It's really hard to get on in this world because of what people may or may not think about us, i guess the right attitude is somewhere inbetween "haters gonna hate" and trying to be liked...
I know that most people perceive me as a loud, smartass, opiniated asshole.

But there are also people who get to know me and find out that I am actually a nice, caring and loving guy -- most of the time.

But seriously, who cares what people think about you. Be who you are, even if who you are isn't considered a positive thing. If you're a nerd, be a nerd. If you're a jerk, be a jerk. If you're a slut, be a slut.

Because if there's one thing I've learned about people, is that people are always full of shit, no matter how they appear on the outside. Everyone's full of shit.
Thanks for the responses, guys. Hopefully some day I can get to that point ^
R.I.P. PAUL GILBERT

You will be missed...
Quote by RU Experienced?
Do whatever makes you happy and don't worry if other people think less of you for it.

Unless you're a pedophile, in which case you might want to keep those urges under control.

Why do you only take exception to pedophiles? How about people throw out the whole solipsistic / hedonistic worldview and start worrying about doing what is right or good?

*edit:
Quote by CoreysMonster
But seriously, who cares what people think about you. Be who you are, even if who you are isn't considered a positive thing. If you're a nerd, be a nerd. If you're a jerk, be a jerk. If you're a slut, be a slut.

What horrible advice. If something about you is flawed, you should seek to improve upon it.
Last edited by NotFromANUS at Apr 30, 2011,
That's why creativity is so important, because if you succeed at creating something you're happy with, the product you're left with is what understands you better than anything.
It's something outside of you that comes from inside.
I know that what I do isn't always perceived as normal or anything but I definatly don't want to change my entire being for someone else's liking.. because isn't the whole point of someone liking you is liking you for who you are? That's my logic anyways. I know I'm not the best person and I know many people don't care much for me and I accept that. Besides, I don't really trust anyone that much in the first place so it all sorta balances itself out.

Sorry if what I said didn't make sense.
^^ Hahah, I'm just kidding.. or am I?

Don't click this.
Quote by guitarxo
People who don't know me will say that I never talk, which is true. I think my friends see me as a bit more outgoing, relaxed and funny at times but apart from that I really don't know.

This is pretty much exactly me too. I'm gradually getting more social, but it's a long process.
Quote by NotFromANUS
What horrible advice. If something about you is flawed, you should seek to improve upon it.

No it's not, if you like being what you are, then why should you change to conform to what society expects you to be? What I said was hyperbolic, of course, but it's still very true.
Jesus Christ, where do I start?

Mad
Weird
Awkward
Sarcastic
Cynical
Stupid
Bit of a tool

And the list goes on.
I shall grant you three wishes.

None of which will work.

Does the above post enrage, offend or confuse you?

Good.

I like my women how I like my guitars. Curvy and like it when I finger them.
I have a relatively dry sense of humor - most of the time, my jokes are taken seriously unless I say it with an inflection so it sounds purposefully humorous or sarcastic. I modify my behaviour depending on who I am talking to, but I don't talk to any people. I tend to hide the real me because the real me isn't overly healthy. However, I have a couple of people who I'm pretty close to the "real me" with. People outside of friends perceive me as a quiet guy who avoids confrontation as much as possible
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
I often wonder this. But I don't want to ask, so I just assume I kick ass.
“Just to sum up: I would do various things very quickly.” - Donald Trump
Most people just think i'm a dopey stoner, good for occasional comic relief. It kind of annoys me because it means people don't mind/quite like being around me and get a laugh out of it but don't ever ask me to come and do things.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by CoreysMonster

Because if there's one thing I've learned about people, is that people are always full of shit, no matter how they appear on the outside. Everyone's full of shit.

If what you're saying here is that basically everyone is human and flawed somehow I agree. But everyone being full of shit, I don't know. There are those who aren't, and they are the people that are worth your time. They're still only human so I agree with you. But that doesn't mean everyone is FULL of shit, so I disagree.

I also have quite dry humour. People who don't know me or have similar humour often don't get when I'm joking. Seems to be a common theme to this thread. Weird.
Most think I'm quiet and smart. I am, but in the right mood I get cooky and talkative. Also, I realized that most of the things I do are because I want to put the right impression on who I am when I'm around people. Most tell themselves they don't care what others think, but in saying that, quite often they're saying they care if you care that they don't care even though they do care what you think.
Quote by CoreysMonster
No it's not, if you like being what you are, then why should you change to conform to what society expects you to be?

Being a fuck up, criminal, idiot, asshole, creep, failure, perv, spazz, imbecile, or whatever doesn't become good just because you are OK with being that way, or even worse enjoy it. Societal norms aren't arbitrary. They exist for a reason.

The fact that people have perversely distorted the concept of self improvement into some kind of evil is insanity.
Some girl told a friend that I was asshole because i never talk to people in my classroom, and some other friend was angry because he thinks i never pay attention, but they don't know about my ADD