Page 1 of 2
Earlier today I was chatting to a mate of mine about the reasons why we decided to learn the guitar.

For me it was because when I was at school in music class, the only instrument I could kind of play was the keyboard, and when I watched those in the class who could play the guitar, I thought "man that would be cool".

This chat with my mate has really got me thinking and I thought it would be fun to ask why you decided to learn the guitar? Was it for fun, to pick up chicks, to look cool, or maybe to chill out and play some songs?
To change the world for the better, a la Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure.

I caused the GFC, just so you know.

Quote by hazzmatazz
youmakemesmile...

Quote by sebastian_96
Today I stole a girls tampons for being such an annoying bitch.

MUFC

My love for you
Is like a truck
Berserker.
I just wanted to learn to play the music I liked...
I'M IN THE FIGHT TO CURE CYSTIC FIBROSIS...MY LIFE DEPENDS ON IT!

Quote by JustRooster
I'm a straight man, but I'd put that surfcaster right in my mouth.

Quote by JD2k9
Well, life is like a penis.
Women make it hard.
Also, it's short but seems long when it gets hard.
I switched to a new class and a kid there asked me if I played guitar because of my long hair.

I said no, but that I play the piano. He then asked me if I wanted to play bass for their band, and I said okay I'll try.

I went to their band practice with a guy on drums and a guy on guitar. They played some Bloodhoung gang song, and it was the most amazing, awesome, kickass and just downright cool thing I had ever seen in my life (up to that point).

That was the day I picked up the guitar, and the day I found UG while looking for tabs.
My sister was learning it for a music class, and I got jealous.

I picked it up, she never touched the damn thing again.
I had also been playing the drums for a bit, and was feeling like something different. Guitar just seemed cooler.
Because I thought that George Carlin would come and see me in his police box, and send me on the most excellent journey so I can pass my history test, and not be sent to military school by my bogus dad, dude.
Quote by L2112Lif
I put a ton of my capital into SW Airlines... The next day, THE NEXT DAY these nutters fly into the WTC. What the hell? Apparently no one wanted to fly anymore, and I was like "What gives? God damnit Osama, let me win a fuggin' game!"
To try a new instrument, I was getting bored of the sax.
-------------------------------------------
Gear:

Guitar(s): .Shecter Tempest EXTREMEEEEEE
--------------Maton CW-80

Amplification: Randall RG75 G3
I remember watching Rock music videos when I was young and was amazed really by the guitarists. My friends would simply headbang I would be still with my mouth open especially when the solo kicks in. And I thought, man I want to be just like that.

Now that I play, I really love the attention I get when I play and being the shy guy growing up, attention means a lot to me.

I also wish to create melodies that music I listen too 'missed' or 'could have done this way'. At least that's how I think of it.
Quote by the_wassel
To pick up... dudes.

My mate had a similar response to this. Though it was chick he was wanting to pick up. lol
So I can answer to this same god, damn thread every week.

Naw. But there just had to be one douche who said that in every thread, no?

I picked up guitar because it seemed pretty cool. At first it didn't occur to me that I was going to pick up something so awesome. I was just exposed to it in music lessons and the teacher got us to play some songs that I can't remember.

In retrospect, the teacher did not know how to play the guitar. But she managed to teach us through tabs. Either it was tabs or it was something that worked similar to tabs. In the end, the 'test' for the guitar is that she would say out the name of the note of an open string, and you were supposed to play it.

One of my friends managed to fail that test.

But anyway, after that, I decided that I was interested, so my parents brought me to a nearby stationery store (No kidding.) to buy a guitar. I chose one that looked like a 'normal' colour for guitar, and I stuck with it.

A few months ago, I realised that it's not a full-scale guitar. But, hey, I got it for like, 50 USD, so it's all good. Plus, it's still working well and the treble strings never rust. Ever. So I'm happy. Sound's pretty good IMO too.

I picked up an electric about a year or two after I got the acoustic. My repertoire then was an amazing set of less than 2 songs. So my mom forced me to pick up lessons.

I'm glad I did.
Guitar Hero + chicks digging guitar players
Quote by Ulalume
I had a friend who was held at gunpoint as a cashier. The robber told him to give him all the money in the register and what not. Apparently my friend then replied, "Would you like a slurpee with that?"
4 da pussy bro!

Nah, I liked watching Iron Maiden and Megadeth in their younger, more crazy day's and I wanted to be in their shoes. Now that i'm 17, I realised the popularity you gain from playing the guitar, and that is why I play it a lot in front or people
My brother helped me get into guitar playing. He would always let me borrow his guitar when I asked him so that was pretty cool. I also wanted to learn the music I liked.
STಠ_ಠ
I wanted to learn how to searchbar

Anyways, just like everyone else (they are liars if they tell you the opposite) I picked up the guitar for chicks.
For two months I didn't even take it as seriously as I should've, but then I began to enjoy playing a little and when I got better I loved it more than anything.
Quit playing basketball and ditched my friends to play guitar...I regret nothing so far.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
I wanted to learn how to searchbar

Anyways, just like everyone else (they are liars if they tell you the opposite) I picked up the guitar for chicks.
For two months I didn't even take it as seriously as I should've, but then I began to enjoy playing a little and when I got better I loved it more than anything.
Quit playing basketball and ditched my friends to play guitar...I regret nothing so far.

AMEN TO THAT!!!
Jealousy of my older brother's and an urge to be better at them at something.

I originally wanted to play drums because both my older brothers played guitar and I wanted to be different, but guitar was more accessible since there was always a couple acoustics laying around.
I then started taking lessons and practiced constantly. Eventually it wasn't just some weird way to spite my brothers and I developed a love for music. Both of them stopped playing and I ended up overshadowing them music wise. But what's more important is that music is a big part of my life now and I couldn't be happier.
Listen to jazz, it'll make you a better guitar player.

Whatever you do, stay creative
My music teacher told me once "the only way you're gonna find a girl willing to make you a sandwich is if you learn an instrument"
ive always loved music so much, and as a kid i was pretty stereotypical, i loved guitars and drums. i always wanted to learn one of the two, and liked drums for the longest time, but i never felt like i could play music with drums, only beats. so i picked up the guitar, but gave up soon after because i felt like i couldn't be successful at it. at about 19 i picked it up again and have been playing for about a year and a half now. i progressed so much(but still suck). i can say i regret not sticking with it when i was younger, guitar is a lot of fun and the music you choose to play with it is pretty much endless.
I have always wanted to play guitar, my whole life. I have always been into heavier music, always liked it, then at age 15 I started to really go into metal, I started buying metal records and so forth, but everytime I wanted to start people kept telling me "no dude, you have to start with acoustic so your fingers can get used to playing" and I don`t know what else but everytime I got set off and thought if I HAVE to start with acoustic then I`ll just leave it, then later that year my dad just bought me an electric guitar out of nowhere, and gave to me and said "**** them, start playing your way".

Then I started with UG tabs and so forth, I didn`t go for lessons or anything, and today I am teaching 2 dudes to play guitar, and I`m turning 18 now in September. I`m not bad at guitar, I`m not Yngie Malmsteen either, but I`m glad my dad did what he did, because we all realized that it is actually a talent I have, and it would have gone wasted.
I was born in a musical environment and eventually i startted and now ive been playing for about ten years and i never regret spending my first savings on that shitty les paul copy
Rubert aka Brimjob rocks out on his fender stratocaster untill i feel like quitting. Determination is the key for me you see.... Persistance and patience are major Man!!!!
Quote by Abigoriktus
later that year my dad just bought me an electric guitar out of nowhere, and gave to me and said "**** them, start playing your way".

That was pretty cool of your dad.
Well I actually wanted to play bass like really bad but my moms an apppearance nazi and said bassist are more in the background ill get you a guitar though
I refused and begged for a bass but she bought me a guitar and I didn't even play it the first month
Then I finally broke down and said what the hell ill play it and love it
(But still wanna try bass)
One of the third friendliest users
Stratkat's pet

Quote by Momentosis
Void is a wanker that's why

because synyster fencepost and zackary retaliation were the best guitarists ever~!#@$#^@#$
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
My elder brother plays the bass, one day he brought home an acoustic bass. I played it for a moment and decided that I want to play the guitar
I started learning classical guitar kind of early but never really liked that. I got an acoustic after listening to Tenacious D about six or so years ago and then got an electric when I was like 12 or 13.
Quote by the_white_bunny
your just a simpleton that cant understand strategy apparently.

Quote by the_white_bunny
all hail king of the penis sucking(i said balls. you said dick for some reason?) Isabiggles
Quote by CoreysMonster

That was the day I picked up the guitar, and the day I found UG while looking for tabs.

And the day your life was ruined.

My father played guitar, I wanted to learn and my parents encouraged me.
sometimes I see us in a cymbal splash or in the sound of a car crash
It just seemed fun. I like having something useful to keep my hands busy other than video games and fapping.
I'm rgrockr and I do not approve of this message.
Well I'm a drummer for the longest time really until I played guitar hero. I then had the impulse to buy an acoustic and let my cousin help me learn. Didn't really motivate myself until I had graduated then I realized that I really wanted to compose stuff. So here I am still doing the best I can with the guitar(I suck though :P) whilst staying active with my drumming stuff. At least guitar made me study music theory

Beats mindlessly level grinding in a video game I guess(for me anyway).
Page 1 of 2