Im working on rebuilding a lower end Flying V i purchased a few years back. the guitar itself is beautiful, but alot of the parts were cheap and just won't last.

The tuning pegs have already worn out. THe pickups are muddy, and i want to shield and rewire the thing.

But im also on a dime.

the pickups themselves were replaced with Dragonfire Chrome Screamers, with a 16.9k bridge and 8.3k neck. i didnt rewire it or replace the pots/output jack. what kind of pots, jack, capacitor would really take full advantage of the pickups and get a nice crisp output? and what is a decent wiring brand?

i might upgrade to some GFS pickups or maybe eventually save up and buy something higher end.

what are some really good budget tuners that i can swap out for the broken ones?

any input at all would certainly help.
Those Dragonfire Screamers are excellent, IMO. I was a little skeptical when I first bought them, figuring that if they were at least as passable as Ibanez or even Epi stock pickups they'd be an upgrade from my BC Rich. But I was really impressed when I tried them out, and have even bought another set since.

Dragonfire also sells some "no-name" potentiometers that I also consider excellent. I have no clue who the manufacturer is, but the pots are stamped "US" on the chassis, and then a Ohm rating of coarse. I think they charge $3 each for them? I have no complaints about them. In my experiences with pots, I found that any of the brand names (Bourns, CTS, Alpha) are all just as good, and none will make the guitar sound magically better (it is only a resistor, after all)

Now for Caps, that's really up to you. It depends on what sound you're going for. I don't know what the recommended cap value for the screamers is, but I've noticed that Dragonfire uses .047uF in their wiring harnessess, so I guess that's what they recommend? (Same as Seymour Duncan.) I usually recommend .047 caps to people who are unsure of what cap value they want. I find it gives you a pretty good range of the tonal spectrum (it can give you dark tones when the tone pot gets rolled down, but doesn't muddy up your tone while the tone put is on max) The caps Dragonfire sells (Panasonic) are decent, but they're a bit overpriced ($1 each, I think?) You may pay the same or more in your local music store, but if you're shopping online it's defiantly worth checking eBay (seeing as you can pick up Sprague caps for roughly the same price)
If you upgrade pickups, try some IronGears. Very nice for what you pay

I'm not too knowledgable on tuners, but i hear you can't go wrong with Schaller or Sperzel.
Gibson SG Standard
Gibson Les Paul Traditional
Cort Explorer
Squire Standard Strat rebuilt with Fender USA parts
Squire Tele
Krank 1980
Orange Tiny Terror
Traynor YCV 50 Blue
Peavey Vypyr 75

Will fly for food. Call me Dylan
Quote by argentotenebre
Those Dragonfire Screamers are excellent, IMO. I was a little skeptical when I first bought them, figuring that if they were at least as passable as Ibanez or even Epi stock pickups they'd be an upgrade from my BC Rich. But I was really impressed when I tried them out, and have even bought another set since.

Dragonfire also sells some "no-name" potentiometers that I also consider excellent. I have no clue who the manufacturer is, but the pots are stamped "US" on the chassis, and then a Ohm rating of coarse. I think they charge $3 each for them? I have no complaints about them. In my experiences with pots, I found that any of the brand names (Bourns, CTS, Alpha) are all just as good, and none will make the guitar sound magically better (it is only a resistor, after all)

Now for Caps, that's really up to you. It depends on what sound you're going for. I don't know what the recommended cap value for the screamers is, but I've noticed that Dragonfire uses .047uF in their wiring harnessess, so I guess that's what they recommend? (Same as Seymour Duncan.) I usually recommend .047 caps to people who are unsure of what cap value they want. I find it gives you a pretty good range of the tonal spectrum (it can give you dark tones when the tone pot gets rolled down, but doesn't muddy up your tone while the tone put is on max) The caps Dragonfire sells (Panasonic) are decent, but they're a bit overpriced ($1 each, I think?) You may pay the same or more in your local music store, but if you're shopping online it's defiantly worth checking eBay (seeing as you can pick up Sprague caps for roughly the same price)

they have both 250K and 500K pots, and i dont really know which one would be better with my pups...

i'll probably go with the .047 since its as standard as you say it is.
Last edited by Jackie Lawless at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by classicrocker01
If you upgrade pickups, try some IronGears. Very nice for what you pay

I'm not too knowledgable on tuners, but i hear you can't go wrong with Schaller or Sperzel.

Slightly cheaper than these would be Gotoh... or even cheaper, Wilkinson.
it's kind of a matter of personal preference.

The two most common are:

1) Audio taper for volume pots, Linear taper for Tone pots

2) Audio taper for all pots

The way to sum them up in a nutshell would be that Audio pots taper sort of gradually and Linear pots taper "a little at first" and then "a lot" then "a little towards the end" of the roll off.

I can't really offer a recommendation on the tone pot issue, since everyone's ears are different and you may prefer either one. They both are useful, but in slightly different ways. I don't mind either, but I prefer Audio with tone pots.

I will say that I've found using Linear taper with a volume pot doesn't sound very good. But then again, you or someone else may like it
Quote by argentotenebre
it's kind of a matter of personal preference.

The two most common are:

1) Audio taper for volume pots, Linear taper for Tone pots

2) Audio taper for all pots

The way to sum them up in a nutshell would be that Audio pots taper sort of gradually and Linear pots taper "a little at first" and then "a lot" then "a little towards the end" of the roll off.

I can't really offer a recommendation on the tone pot issue, since everyone's ears are different and you may prefer either one. They both are useful, but in slightly different ways. I don't mind either, but I prefer Audio with tone pots.

I will say that I've found using Linear taper with a volume pot doesn't sound very good. But then again, you or someone else may like it

ah, that makes sense.

thanks much for the insight, guy.

usually when i post a topic or two, nobody really gives it a look or offers assistance.

you've renewed my faith in the community lol.