Ok, so now is the time where I've came tot he point that I know almost nothing about theory.
So now I'm willing to learn from you guys and I need a theory book.
I had creative guitar 1 but that book is quite technique aimed, I don't know if 2 is.
Anything else?
bout time. get Walter piston's "harmony", it's great and works in a step by step way.
Quote by gavk
bout time. get Walter piston's "harmony", it's great and works in a step by step way.

I just checked online I can't buy that book because it isn't avaiable.
The only books by him avaiable are orchestration and counterpoint.
Do you have anything else?
I just found a book which was recommended to me earlier but translated in Dutch.
It's musictheory for dummies.
The description is:Music theory for dummies explains in Dutch the basic music theory terms.
From scales, intervals and tempo to chord schemes phrasing and harmonising melody.
It shows how you can apply these in your own compositions, from blues to rock and from jazz to classical.
This is like the best book right from the description.
Basically it shows how I want to use the theory, in my songs.
It has basics plus more!
I'm going to buy this book.
three minutes of looking i'm sure you really exhausted all avenues of inquiry there...

why did you even ask for a suggestion if your not going to listen?
The AB guide to music theory part I - Eric taylor.

And get the work books to go with it, starting at grade 1.
Quote by gavk
three minutes of looking i'm sure you really exhausted all avenues of inquiry there...

why did you even ask for a suggestion if your not going to listen?

I typed the authors name and got 2 books
It's in dutch but you can see the covers of the books.
http://www.bol.com/nl/s/algemeen/zoekresultaten/Ntt/walter+piston/Ntk/media_all/Nty/1/N/0/Ne/0/search/true/searchType/qck/index.html?_requestid=211072
Quote by griffRG7321

What about part 2?
I know I shouldn't buy it now but why did you specifically say part 1?
And are you sure part 1 does cover all the basics, not just 2 parts and that I need to buy part 2 for the other parts?
Well in general, parts are ordered in chronological order, things in part 1 being crucial to things in part 2.

You buy part 2 when you understand all of part 1.

Part 1 covers all the basics along with intermediate stuff.
Quote by griffRG7321

+1
Honestly, you don't need to make a new thread for every little question you have. There are probably 10 threads of yours that could all be condensed into one.

Edit: You have 6 threads on the first page. That's about 4 or 5 too many.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Last edited by food1010 at Apr 30, 2011,
i am currently reading Musicians Institute - Harmony and Theory. Covers a lot of the basic theory and has excercises to do.

I also ordered Tom Kolb - Music Theory For Guitarists. I saw this at a library and it looked like something for me since it was specifically for the guitar.
Quote by liampje
I just checked online I can't buy that book because it isn't avaiable.
The only books by him avaiable are orchestration and counterpoint.
Do you have anything else?

I guarantee that you can find Piston's Harmony book. The third edition is probably the most popular as it is the last edition that was edited by the author himself.

Here it is:

http://www.amazon.com/Harmony-Third-Walter-Piston/dp/B000HMRR4I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1304181623&sr=8-2