For the last few years I've been working perfectly happily with a single ME-20 multi effects pedal which has been great, as it can instantly switch from one combination of effects to another combination with one stomp. In the last months or two however, I've started to use more pedals, mainly different distortion sounds, sometimes using most of the pedals in one song.

A good example would be where I'd use my Boss DS-1 for a classic kind of heavy overdrive with my Holy Grail reverb and my ME-20 set to neutral for an intro. Then for the bulk of the song I'd use my Boss ST-2 with delay which is set on the ME-20. To do that, I've got to push the DS-1, the Holy Grail, the ST-2, AND the ME-20!

Has anyone got any tips to get around this? My band has always been really tight, timing has always been perfect and we've always known what we're doing. Having this new pedal set up is making me slower, and having to spend that long changing effects is obviously having an effect on my playing cause I'm not focusing properly.

And help would be awesome, thanks
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom
Yamaha SF1000 (Both of 'em)

Laney L20H Lionheart
Marshall 1936 w/ Eminence

Rather large pedalboard..
This is pretty much why I went to a rack FX processor, and a midi pedal that will change channels on my amp. One press of the footswitch, and it instantly changes the amp channel, and the FX preset that's active. So much easier than trying to switch 4 or 5 different things on and off, etc.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
Those are both really good ideas, but I tend to use most combinations :/ So for a heavier song I'd use the ST-2 for main distortion with delay on the ME-20, then for a solo in the same song would use the sharper distortion on the ME-20 and the reverb from the Holy Grail. In a quieter song it'd be clean with Holy Grail, or overdrive kinda sound from the DS-1 with the delay. So setting them to specific combinations would be quite inconvenient for my sort of stuff...

That being the case, I'm expecting that there isn't much I can do about it?
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

well that's what I was saying about rack gear. You start with an amp that will give you the gain you need, then the FX unit will switch different FX on and off however you need it.

Example:
midi pedal switch #2 - Rhythm 2 channel on amp, light compression, light reverb
midi pedal switch #3 - Lead channel on amp (slightly more gain), light compression
midi pedal switch #4 - Lead channel on amp, same compression as #3, short delay, light chorus.

So you could just make presets for whatever you wanted. so you just hit the next switch in the row to transition to the next segment of the song. Plus you can have "stompbox mode" for individual effects too, so if you're using preset #4 above, and get to a part where you just want to turn the delay off, you can do that.

Honestly, if you use a lot of effects, or any complex setup, then I think rack gear is the way to go. You can even get a rack module that has a preamp in it for your gain, and effects built in. Then plug that into the return of your effects loop, and you have basically everything in one box.
Quote by tubetime86
He's obviously pretty young, and I'd guess he's being raised by wolves, or at least humans with the intellectual capacity and compassion of wolves.

You finally made it home, draped in the flag that you fell for.
And so it goes
aside from going to rack gear, your best option is to time it. i used to be in a metal band, and my distortion sound would be my 5150 lead channel, a ts9, and an isp decimator. for clean parts i just used the clean channel and no effects. so if we were going straight into a clean part and i needed to hit 3 buttons i would time it something like this in the last 2 measures of the part:

1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 1 - 2 - 3(hit overdrive off) - 4(hit isp off) - (switch to clean channel)1 -.....

Basically time it so that you turn one effect off then another on the next beat and then when the next part comes up you will have everything switched. most people won't notice when you do it live, and the people that do will be other guitarists that completely understand your situation haha.
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
I guess timing it does work if you don't think people will notice. Only problem for me is that not only am I playing lead, but I cover most rhythm bits as well apart from when I'm playing a solo cause the other guy isn't too confident. So if during the transition from rhythm distortion to solo sound I go clean for a few beats, it's gonna be noticed.. :S

What do you think would help other than just practice with the switches? Can you think of an order to change the pedals? When I turn one distortion on before the other ones goes off, the combination of noise creates massive feedback :/
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

I think you're just doing too much; unless you're using some really heavy reverb, you could probably just leave it on all the time.
We've dressed up in our best...

...and are prepared to go down like gentlemen.

Quote by bogg808
The PBT is for those too TGP for the rest of UG.

Fair point, I've thought that at times.. in regards to the reverb, I use it in solos quite heavily for that "hall" sound, but only when I'm playing lead stuff. For distorted rhythm and clean chords I just use delay to pad it out more.
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart

everyones suggested the big $$$ invovled options.
but the other thing to look at is how your pedals are arranged on your board put things closer to the front if they are used more, and further away if they arent.
also if you need to turn 2 things off maybe put them close enough together that you can hit both with one press
I have no idea why I hadn't thought of that! Thanks My mind works in a silly way, where I have to have them arranged in the order that they're connected if you know what I mean, which can be a pain. I'll try just moving stuff around I suppose, see what happens
PRS SE Chris Robertson
PRS SE EG
PRS SE Angelus Custom

Laney L20H Lionheart