Page 1 of 2
Has anyone ever judged you based on the guitar you play?

I have a Fender Tele Jim Root (Slipknot/Stone Sour) signature guitar, with EMG pickups in it. Wherever I take this there is always at least one person who labels me either:
A- a metalhead
B- a slipknot lover (I dont like slipknot)
One guy even went as far as to presume I was the rhythm player because of my guitar.

And yes, I do assume that you are a total idiot if you have a Dean bumblebee razorback and a marshall MG stack
Nothing wrong with being a metalhead or a Slipknot fan.

I have a

and a

Along with a Yamaha Pacifica and an...I think AXL strat replica. And a cheapy acoustic.

Assume what you will, I think they're fairly neutral.
I play a Fender MiM Tele, so I guess people assume I play indie music, which wouldnt be far wrong. My acoustic is cedar topped, small body (GC) style, so people assume I play fingerstyle acoustic music, which is pretty much bang on.

I'm pretty predictable, to be honest.
That I can actually play it.
██████
██████
██
██████
████████
████████
I currently have with me my accoustic but usually play metal. When I play Holy Wars or Master of Puppets riffs(or parts of solos), people are like ಠ_ಠ.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
People assume that I play guitar because of the guitar I own, it's annoying.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
People assume I only play bass because my six string was run over and is yet to be replaced..
I play a bright yellow customised Fender Mustang. Stands out as rather different so I get a lot of questions about what I actually play.
People sometimes seem to judge my guitar by the way I am. I look like I'm a metal player, and I do play a lot of it, but I'm a pretty crappy player altogether. Therefore, many take my Ibanez Sv5470F for a cheap, shredder-wannabe guitar, which it isn't. It's pretty high-end (considering it's a mass production model), has an MSRP of, like, $1800, and is best for a bit more vintage tones - perfect for older rock, blues, and prog tones. It's a sick player though, so they have the shredder-part right, lol.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by Todd Hart
People assume that I play guitar because of the guitar I own, it's annoying.

This,

Damn annoying everytime.
Quote by Afroboy267
That i'm a "Shredder with no soul"

Dean Razorback

I never come within 15 meter radius of someone holding a razorback because it can be used as a wepon.
I'm not a James Hetfield fan
My username is "hames jetfield" because "farty mriedman" sounds weird.

Quote by laid-to-waste
i have rabies from licking my pet rat's face

Jackson DK2M
Digitech RP255
Vox DA5
Casio CTK-6000
Fender Tele. indie hipster who can't play for shit. confirmed after hearing me play.
Looking to buy a Fender Jagstang, u sellin?
Inebriated older folks think my Orville SG bestows unto me the power to play all AC/DC songs. It actually makes me breath a sigh of relief when they assume I play fair amount of Black Sabbath or Cream though, because that's spot on.

The '62 reissue strat makes everyone think I'm a bluesfag, then I prove em right :3
Call me: Will

Gear that I'm using most, in their respective colors:
Squier MIJ '62 Strat reissue
Orville '62 SG reissue
1972 Fender Musicmaster Bass Amp with various kinds of pedals.

My band, Cusche!
When I have my classical guitar: Oh, nylon strings. He must be a beginner (**** that, just because tons of people here buy nylon strings cos they're cheap or they aren't good doesn't mean the same for me)

When I have my electric: Oh, he must play jazz (Nope, I'm terrible at jazz.)
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
No, I can't play ****ing Wonderwall.

But surely you must know some Kings of Leon?
The UG Awards exist only to instill me with existential doubt.

For me, the 60's ended that day in 1978...

Willies. Fuck the lick and fuck you too.
This is my main guitar

People think that I play metal.

They are correct.
Quote by MakinLattes
I'd kill you and wear your skin.
Quote by Siv During Livh
To attempt to have intercourse with a hornet's nest is a very bad idea,

Voted UG's worst cross dresser.
Also voted #95 on UG's Top 100 2013. Like it means anything....
Just a quick question, because I don't really tell that many strangers that I play guitar.
What kinda stereotype am I for playing this guitar?

They think i'm a metal player blah blah blah...
Quote by Axelfox
Reeeeeeeeeeeeeeee
Epiphone SG. That I can play AC/DC riffs. I can, but that's beside the point.
Spin round carousel
When your horse isn't screwed in

I II III VI:1 VI:2
@ali.guitarkid: I guess that makes people assume you're a beginner.

I play a cheap ass LP knockoff, so people probably assume I'm a bad player.
They are right...
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
Last edited by Randio at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by Randio
@ali.guitarkid: I guess that makes people assume you're a beginner.

I play a cheap ass LP knockoff, so people probably assume I'm a bad player.
They are right...

Did you know that it's proven that when people think they are good at something, they are never as good as how they describe themselves.
When they say they are bad at something, they are usually better (because they are more experienced and their standards go up).

So don't sell yourself short.
That I'm a Slash fanboy. I love Slash (Izzy's MUCH better though) and Guns 'N Roses, I did not buy this guitar cuz it looks like Slash's. I bought it cuz it was extremely cheap and is incredible.

Meh, that picture does it no justice. It's got some really deep flames on it and is sexy as hell. It's a 2010 Standard in Faded Honeyburst
Quote by djentman
^ Slash fanboy

You know what makes it worse? The amp, a Marshall Vintage Modern, is the amp uses/ used live before he got his new signature amp. I found that out after I bought it Oh well, it kicks ass
Quote by ali.guitarkid7
Did you know that it's proven that when people think they are good at something, they are never as good as how they describe themselves.
When they say they are bad at something, they are usually better (because they are more experienced and their standards go up).

So don't sell yourself short.

I've been playing guitar for more than 3 years, and can play only 3 or 4 songs from beginning to end. And even those songs aren't going that smoothly. But I guess my guitar is partly to blame for that, because I once played a Fender Tele and it was like my playing suddenly improved

I just think I should be way better than I am now, but practicing songs is a pain in the ass because I don't improve, and I'm kinda clueless about what exercises I could eventually do.

How about I'll just say I'm not that good of a player instead of a bad player
My Gear:
Gibson SG Classic
Les Paul knockoff >.>
Vox VT30 with footswitch
EHX Big Muff w/ Tone Wicker
My two main squeezes:

People assume I can't read music well, but I can.
People assume I know some of their favorite pop songs, and some of them, I do!

I dunno. I play before any of their assumptions are made, and then usually it's not an issue because I can play okay.

Example of my acoustic playing, if anyone's interested, which you're probably not: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CHTHGYU2Bo
People assume correctly that I'm poor because I play a cheap strat knock-off
Last edited by snowmotion at Apr 30, 2011,

Seagull S6

Fairly neutral guitar, I suppose. Maybe it's snobby since it's a somewhat obscure brand.

The electric is an ESP LTD, so that probably screams metal, which is accurate.
I haven't had anyone make any presumptions about me, well not that I know off.

Funnily enough though whenever I see someone with a BC Rich Bronze Warlock I immediately think they're a beginner and it's their first guitar.
Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life.

- Berthold Auerbach

Quote by jbridge90
Wow, being surrounded by all of these humourless, pussy-whipped virgins is starting to make me sick.

Check out my band!
No one has said it, but I feel this way:
With 2 basses, two guitars, and a pretty big amp, I should be pretty good. I don't think I'm that great, and definitely not where I should be for several years of playing.
I play a BC Rich most of the time, where do I start...

A good one though, but there's so many bandwagon haters >_>
My Jackson has a half scallop so people think I'm into INgVaaay... or yuewingee. I couldn't spell his name anyways ....ywingy, no that's not right. yngwie?
Page 1 of 2