Yea, so I was wondering what u guys choose to play for someone who hasent heard u lickin the guitar before. Like do u play the fastest solo ever just to show off what u can do? Or just jam something random? Cuz I reckon if I have a girl over I cant be shreddin like freakin Petrucci.
Depends on mutual taste and purpose. If it's to show how fast you can play then pick something fast you both know. Or if it's for a girl or something then write something for her.
Thickfreakness by the Black Keys is probably up there, come to think of it.
Otherwise, just some random jamming/improv I guess?
I want to read your essays and blogs of the artistic nature!

Art evokes the mystery without which the world would not exist.

- Rene Magritte
Your Revolution Is A Joke by Funeral For A Friend or the acoustic solo from Blindfolds Aside by Protest The Hero.

If the person is into heavier music then I might also play Anything Can Happen In The Next Half Hour by Enter Shikari or Polaris by The Human Abstract.
...Stapling helium to penguins since 1949.
Last edited by Todd Hart at Apr 30, 2011,
Djent.

Bitches love djent.

My Youtube Page

I wrote this story so many days ago
and the words kept falling onto pages.
Without the loss we can't go on
and with the loss we became strong.

either play something she knows or something with a beat. don't start playing shit you couldn't make sound right without a band - ie; stuff with random breaks in it etc.
Quote by ItWillDo
Djent.

Bitches love djent.

I did that and they loved it. I shit you not.
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
inb4 wonderwall

EDIT:
Quote by Skullshredda
I did that and they loved it. I shit you not.

I got loads likes from girls when I put up a cover of Tesseract's "Concealing Fate part 2" on facebook
Its on my profile in case you wanna give it a listen.
Last edited by GS LEAD 5 at Apr 30, 2011,
I do a few quick warmups running 50% on the neck pickup, coil split, so it sounds smooth and jazzy. I'll purposefully fumble and act frustrated. I keep this act going for about 20 seconds and then look up and say "just kidding" with a smile and whip out any solo I've been working on making or learning. Opeth solos usually hit all crowds nicely if I put a smooth delay over slight distortion. Nothing too fast, but extremely melodic. It's like a modest approach. I could play something extremely fast and technical but it would look like I'm trying to be a show-off.

We all remember the first time we saw someone really talented play... The ones you remember the best way are those that were modest and encouraging. We write-off the show-offs.
I'll play Twinkle Twinkle Little Star http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yCjJyiqpAuU
using one finger and as simple as it can be.The person will not be amazed but will laugh.The person will not expect too much (at my guitar skill).

Maybe bec. I didn't pick/studied guitar to impress someone.But to fill something empty.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------these are ants----------

As long as there's masters
Quote by ItWillDo
Djent.

Bitches love djent.

Best phare ever! I lol'd.

Anyway, if it's other guitar dudes I usually don't bother even playing in front of them because my trick bag isn't very impressive. If it's a girl and I've got a shot at someone warming my bed for the night, I'll just play some pretty chords that I've noticed that go well together and stuff that goes well with those, and when asked "Wow, what's that?" I'll be all "**** yeah"-faced and say "Oh, this thing? I don't know, just playing off the top of my head", like a boss.

It never works.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
Quote by Mondavarious
someone who hasent heard u lickin the guitar before.

Quote by Afroboy267
Depends on mutual taste

I start off with the beginning of the stairway to heaven solo and just improvise from there.
Quote by guitarxo
I had a dream about your avatar once, so yes of course.

Quote by Bladez22

every time i see that twirling electrode avatar of yours I know that the post is worth reading or the link is worth clicking

If it's a chick, under the bridge and snow work wonders
"[Bleach] is mostly water, and we are mostly water, therefore we are bleach"

I feel we should go to...

Purple Alert
For females : Something catchy, riffy and tidy. Obvious Acoustic arpeggiated songs work just as well.

To impress a fellow guitarist : Some cool licks you know and some tough rhythm parts.

To impress your friends : Use those cool techniques that are simple but look awesome.
Legato, Divebombs, pinches, tapping etc.

Or just pull out some popular riffs.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
holy wars
Quote by bluestratplayer
Im going to initial the back of every MG in guitarcenter "ZW" and see how many threads come out thinking Zakk Wylde owned thier amp.
Quote by Tanglewoodguit
Just me and rhino will end in the extinction of a species.
Play some Megadeth. Seriously play some of the really tight stuff off Rust In Peace. If the persons not completely brain dead and you don't try to sing like Dave then they'll think your god.
Quote by FearMyLightning
Play some Megadeth. Seriously play some of the really tight stuff off Rust In Peace. If the persons not completely brain dead and you don't try to sing like Dave then they'll think your god.

Tornado of souls.
Yes.
If I could play this solo, I would do this one first of my list to impress, cause it's so bad-ass.
On playing the Paul Gilbert signature at the guitar store extensively, my missus sighed:
"Put it down now, It's like you love that guitar more than me!"
In Which I replied.
"Well it has got two F-Holes!"
Quote by Nameless742
Tornado of souls.
Yes.
If I could play this solo, I would do this one first of my list to impress, cause it's so bad-ass.

Indeed, Tornado of Souls has THE most bad-ass solo ever. What makes it even more impressive is the fact that allegedly, Marty Friedman did it as a one-shot in the studio, right on the spot. Pretty sick if true.
Gear:

Guitars: Ibanez SV5470F, Ibanez Xpt700, Fender MIM Standard Stratocaster ('04-'05), Jackson Ps-2
Ashton AG200,
Amps: ENGL E530, Bugera 6262-212,
FX: TC Electronics G-major 2, Behringer EQ700, Morley Volume / Wah
I just play some Guns n' Roses, Extreme or whatever pops into my mind at the moment. Sometimes I just improvise few riffs and licks.
I'll play the Smoke on the Water riff,mess up a few times, then say "No wait I got this" and repeat the process for a few hours.