Hey all.
So I'm going to order a theory book.
But I need the best way to get it into my memory.
So how would/do you guys do it?
I know I have to read it very carefull, I know that, but I mean it in a really knowing it fashion.
Do you read them and then try to play it.
Do you read it twice?
Do you read it and then write what you've learned and read it again.
read it, if they have exercises at the end of each chapter finish them.
apply it creating a song, or a little exercises
if you have question ask here

edit:
if the book as recommend song to describe what the section is on less to the song.
and maybe grab some music, preferably classical music since it follows alot of the stuff youll learn in the book, and analyze it see how that composer used those rules, and guidelines to create that piece

Quote by Gunpowder
Thrashturbating? Most metal of all ways to pleasure oneself.
Last edited by maximumrocker at Apr 30, 2011,
@Jayx and Maximum rocker this theory book gives me ways of applying it in my own compositions.
That's the first reason Im going to buy it + it has like 250 or 300 pages of theory.
Quote by maximumrocker
read it, if they have exercises at the end of each chapter finish them.
apply it creating a song, or a little exercises
if you have question ask here

edit:
if the book as recommend song to describe what the section is on less to the song.
and maybe grab some music, preferably classical music since it follows alot of the stuff youll learn in the book, and analyze it see how that composer used those rules, and guidelines to create that piece

Steve Vai follows the rules too right?
Quote by liampje
Steve Vai follows the rules too right?
Judging by your other thread, stay away from analyzing Vai's music for a while.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
The best way is to write out the exercises and have an instructor mark corrections. If you cannot get an instructor then you'll just have to be very meticulous with your work.
My head is exploding!
I have so many choices.
I have the AB guide to music theory, music theory for dummies and now I see Berklee music theory from Berklee music college itself.
Is there anything so special about music theory for dummies that it's more money?
Also after these books and with AB guide to music theory after part 2, how do I go further?
EDIT: Is there anyone who actually has all the books and for which there are 2 parts all the parts?
Because I need the best bang for the buck.
Last edited by liampje at Apr 30, 2011,
i read a college level theory book like this

chapter 1
chapter 1
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 1
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 2
chapter 3
chapter 4
etc etc etc

slowly working my way up through the book while rereading chapters. basically i'd read a new chapter and go back and read the chapters preceding it to kinda incorporate all the information i'd learned together.
Quote by liampje
My head is exploding!
I have so many choices.
I have the AB guide to music theory, music theory for dummies and now I see Berklee music theory from Berklee music college itself.
Is there anything so special about music theory for dummies that it's more money?
Also after these books and with AB guide to music theory after part 2, how do I go further?
EDIT: Is there anyone who actually has all the books and for which there are 2 parts all the parts?
Because I need the best bang for the buck.

You don't need to worry about going further yet, not for a long time.
are you kidding me? you make a thread about a theory book and then a few hours later make another one about how to read the ****ing thing? can someone please ban this guy?
Quote by gavk
are you kidding me? you make a thread about a theory book and then a few hours later make another one about how to read the ****ing thing? can someone please ban this guy?

Quoted for truth. How about you try to answer the questions by yourself by having a go at it instead of coming here asking incredibly stupid questions every hour. No offence buddy, but it's getting kind of annoying to see your threads all the time.
Just have a go at it. No one knows how YOU best read and understand a book, and no one needs to know about your pursuit of one. And you don't need to make a new thread for every single question when your already active threads will get you answers and NOT flood the front page.
Quote by Nugma
Quoted for truth. How about you try to answer the questions by yourself by having a go at it instead of coming here asking incredibly stupid questions every hour. No offence buddy, but it's getting kind of annoying to see your threads all the time.
Just have a go at it. No one knows how YOU best read and understand a book, and no one needs to know about your pursuit of one. And you don't need to make a new thread for every single question when your already active threads will get you answers and NOT flood the front page.

You know what I'm gonna make 1 big thread called liampje asks where all my questions come, as soon as I get a new question.
How about that for an idea?
Quote by liampje
You know what I'm gonna make 1 big thread called liampje asks where all my questions come, as soon as I get a new question.
How about that for an idea?
Yes, please.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea