Just wondering if it would serve the same purpose for my aplication. All I would be using the TS9 for is a boost not for the OD (using my amps distortion), so would I get the same results (and save a little cash) from a clean boost pedal? If so which would you sugest to try?
Thanks
Last edited by Robbgnarly at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by stykerwolf
you trying to boost an overdriven amp like a 5150 for tighter bass? Or just get your amp louder for solos?

I currently have a Bugera 333( don't laugh I like it) and am looking to boost for solos, and maybe make the sound "bigger".
My current giging rig is a 333 head, Krank rev 4x12, PRS CE22/G-400 w/ Sh4
You will not achieve a volume boost with any kind of overdrive, eq or clean boost pedal IN FRONT of the amp which is already distorted. In order to get a volume boost, the best way to do it is with a EQ pedal in the amp's effects loop. In that way, you can boost the frequencies you want, and have an overall better control of your tone. Clean boost will also give you a good volume boost when put in the effects loop, while an overdrive pedal in front of the overdriven amp is the best way to get a tighter, more fluid sound for solo play.

PS: I just saw the specs of your amp. Why don't you use the bulit in volume boost on the amp for the clean boost, and an overdrive to get a more compressed tone for solos? Overdrive in front of the amp is a better option than a clean boost in front of the amp to get a better tone for solos.

From the official website:

"Each of these channels has its own volume feeding the overall master volume so you have total control over the level of each. The boost option of the FX loop allows you to set each channel at the same volume and then boost or cut the volume of the entire amp no matter what channel is selected — you can finally boost your rhythm or clean tone (yes, clean solos do happen)."
Last edited by ivan987 at Apr 30, 2011,
I am curently getting a pedal set up, so my "boost" is going to be only an FX loop now.
Hmm, I'm sorry but I don't know of any true bypass EQ pedals. Two friends of mine have a regular boss EQ (I'm not sure but I think it's 7 bands + level), and they can really help you in getting a good lead tone. They work good even in front of the amp as an overdrive. But, I've been looking at the specs for your amp, and I think you could get all the sounds you want without any kind of boost. You have a built in volume boost, and two overdrive channels with different gain levels. I would set up the lead channel as the main sound for solos, crunch channel as the rhythm sound, and the clean as you like it. So when it's solo time, switch to lead channel and use the amp's boost and then you're quite set up.
Quote by ivan987
Hmm, I'm sorry but I don't know of any true bypass EQ pedals. Two friends of mine have a regular boss EQ (I'm not sure but I think it's 7 bands + level), and they can really help you in getting a good lead tone. They work good even in front of the amp as an overdrive. But, I've been looking at the specs for your amp, and I think you could get all the sounds you want without any kind of boost. You have a built in volume boost, and two overdrive channels with different gain levels. I would set up the lead channel as the main sound for solos, crunch channel as the rhythm sound, and the clean as you like it. So when it's solo time, switch to lead channel and use the amp's boost and then you're quite set up.

thanks for the advise
Quote by ivan987
You will not achieve a volume boost with any kind of overdrive, eq or clean boost pedal IN FRONT of the amp which is already distorted. In order to get a volume boost, the best way to do it is with a EQ pedal in the amp's effects loop. In that way, you can boost the frequencies you want, and have an overall better control of your tone. Clean boost will also give you a good volume boost when put in the effects loop, while an overdrive pedal in front of the overdriven amp is the best way to get a tighter, more fluid sound for solo play.

PS: I just saw the specs of your amp. Why don't you use the bulit in volume boost on the amp for the clean boost, and an overdrive to get a more compressed tone for solos? Overdrive in front of the amp is a better option than a clean boost in front of the amp to get a better tone for solos.

From the official website:

"Each of these channels has its own volume feeding the overall master volume so you have total control over the level of each. The boost option of the FX loop allows you to set each channel at the same volume and then boost or cut the volume of the entire amp no matter what channel is selected — you can finally boost your rhythm or clean tone (yes, clean solos do happen)."
I'm not sure if we're on the same level here but using a boost pedal or a TS9 variant plugged into my highly driven Soldano definitely gives a volume/gain boost. A TS9 will boost the midrange while a booster will boost the compression and push the tubes really quite hard.

Using a boost pedal in an effects loop can be a risky process. I haven't tried it myself because I've heard a few horror stories of people blowing their speakers or their valves because they put a 35dB boost in the loop of their small little HT-5 style amp.

The reason why some amps have a boost function already selected in the loop is to disincline their users to potentially damage their amp with an outside source such as a boost pedal, which are predominantly designed to be used in front of a clean or overdriven amp.
a boost or ts9 or similar will give you a volume boost unless your amp is already clipping so hard that it has reached it limit. this is more likely to happen in SS amps, and usually sounds bad. now, you wont just get a volume boost with one of those pedals in front of your tube amp, you will also typically distort the amp more. how far up in the amps gain stage determines how much straight volume and how much distortion you get.

as for the ts9 vs clean boost, it depends on what you want. the ts9 has its own voicing, boost the mids and cuts some bass. it also allows you to add some gain from the pedal, which can be useful for some styles. the clean boost is going to be more linear, and boost most frequencies evenly. it takes more power to boost lower frequencies, so sometimes it sounds like the highs are being boosted more than the lows.

so it is not really the same result, but it can be similar. if you are just looking for a cheaper option, the digitech bad monkey is a cheaper tubescreamer style pedal. the electroharmonix lpb-1 is a cheaper booster. but the best thing to do is try a couple things out with your amp, and see what gets the tone you want. sounds like a clean boost might be what you want, but not sure exactly what you are using it for.