I have a mim but i always have this feeling to get a american. What could make me mentally stable and confident to stay with my mim .

What mods can i do to my mim to make it better sounding? I like noiseless pickups cause i hate the buzz. May be a better bridge. At the same time i dont wanna void my gc 2 year warrenty.
My newest cover Rivers Of Babylon sublime style.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=J_E7iWLxmiA

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
80s rock, classic rock, classic metal
Quote by silly6-string
At the same time i dont wanna void my gc 2 year warrenty.

You should just ignore the fact that you bought a warranty. I know Guitar Center will.

As mods go, I would suggest replacing the pick-ups, the potentiometers, the nut, and the tremolo block. All those are things that greatly effect the sound (except the nut, that's tuning stability).

You also have to remember that only the most expensive production models come with noiseless pickups. So unless you put down the money for an American Deluxe, the only way to fix the hum is to modify you guitar.

The bridge on most Mexican strats is ok, but if you use the tremolo a lot, I'd recommend switching to roller saddles.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
By the time you mod an MIM you're up to the price of a MIA Standard. The biggest issue with MIMs is the pickups.
Moving on.....
An MIA strat is going to sound and play a certain way.
An MIM strat is going to sound and play a certain way.

If you want to upgrade your MIM to sound just like an MIA it's better to just replace it with an MIA.
If you want to upgrade your MIM to make it better and more attuned to your needs/desires then go for it because they're a good platform.

KenG's right in that the amount spent will be the same, it just depends what you want.

MIAs are a different beast to the MIM's. Having owned both in Tele and Strat form you should judge each on its own merits.

In terms of necessary mods to an MIM I'd say the trem/bridge, the tuners and the pickups are pretty essential. The rest of the electronics and the nut can be done cheaply so would be worth it as well.

It really just depends on what you want.
ive tried an mim an ive tried american...american kicks ass
mim is good but not great
I have a MIM for the past five years, change the pick ups and the bridge spings. The neck on mine is fantastic, get it up professionally and you still have a great guitar.

I got mine set up by a local luthier after I changed the pick ups, he did say I got a very good example though, which was a fluke cos I bought it just because it was the only fender in the shop I could afford.

If you happy with what you have stick to it, if I was to go spend big bucks again id get a gretch, LP or a tele for something a bit different.

Have you looked at G+L guitars?? They are made by leo fender, I think they are american(could be wrong here) are cheaper and sound sweet as
07 Gibson Les Paul LE
06 Fender Mex Strat - SDJb Jr, duckbucker, lil 59
Floor
Cry Baby 95Q-> Digitech Whammy -> DD3 -> MXR Micro Amp-> TU 2
Loop
Holy Grail ->Boss Rc20 Loop Station
Amp
Laney GH50 with Zilla Fatboy 2x12 (celestion g12-65)
How much $ are we talking for upgrades? Just want a dependable guitar to gig with and practice and pit some 20 years of wear on it.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
Last edited by silly6-string at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by silly6-string
I have a mim but i always have this feeling to get a american. What could make me mentally stable and confident to stay with my mim .

What mods can i do to my mim to make it better sounding? I like noiseless pickups cause i hate the buzz. May be a better bridge. At the same time i dont wanna void my gc 2 year warrenty.

call up a local psychiatrist
The illegality of cannabis is outrageous, an impediment to full utilization of a drug which helps produce the serenity and insight, sensitivity and fellowship so desperately needed in this increasingly mad and dangerous world.
- Carl Sagan
Quote by silly6-string
How much $ are we talking for upgrades? Just want a dependable guitar to gig with and practice and pit some 20 years of wear on it.
Any MIM Fender is already there. The pickups of the Standard range might not suit everyone so if you have specific requirements there then you could change those and for peace of mind you could put locking tuners on and of course you would want to put strap locks on instead of the usual strap buttons, but that's it. The Classic, Classic Player and Deluxe models basically come "pre modded" so they shouldn't need any work at all other than having strap locks fitted. One of Eric Claptons' favourite guitars is a stock MIM Classic Player 50s Stratocaster. MIM guitars have become really popular with lots of pop, rock and alternative bands over the last few years.

The one thing that MIA Fenders do have over the MIMs is the quality of the wood used in them and that is something that can not be upgraded or matched. But unless you're Eric Johnson or Jimmy Page or David Gilmour or someone like that then you probably wouldn't notice the difference in wood quality.
Im getting tje stand can u show me on gc the better mim. Ones so may be i wont have to upgrade. Like there player strats ppl are talking about. May be throw down a lil more. For more quality.

My gear:
taylor 310
Fender strat MiM
Cry Baby-GCB-95
Tone port ux2
tascam dp4
How many of these MIM vs. MIA threads do we really need?

My Kramer's:
79 DMZ6000G
83 Pacer Imp
83 Vanguard
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Baretta
85 Pacer Deluxe
85 Condor
86 Pacer Imperial
86 JK2000
86 JK6000
87 Focus Mutt
09 Gary Kramer Crusader
Quote by grohl1987

The one thing that MIA Fenders do have over the MIMs is the quality of the wood used in them and that is something that can not be upgraded or matched. But unless you're Eric Johnson or Jimmy Page or David Gilmour or someone like that then you probably wouldn't notice the difference in wood quality.

I read in Fender's own strat book that actually alot of times MIM bodies will be made in America out of the same stuff the MIA's are and shipped the 20-40 mile distance that MIM's are made. Then painted and assembled.

I really believe a MIM with pickup and bridge upgrades is just as good as an MIA. Just find pickups that suit your style, and I'd replace the whole bridge with a really nice solid steel one with a nice brass block. And probably throw on locking tuners.
Quote by silly6-string

very simple...you mod it, warranty voided, so you just have to leave it if you want to keep that. Beyond that though if you want to improve the sound just buy some better pickups...you REALLY want to get rid of your 60 cycle hum? try some of the mini-buckers Seymour Duncan makes, look into the little '59, JB jr., or hot rails, both very good, but depends on the sound you're going for.

A lot of players come into our shop often and buy those pickups for their Mexi strats to use them as a gigging guitar at the not-so-tame bar gigs they have, so that guitar is worth maybe $600-$800, not $1200+

Hope that helps
Gear:
- Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
- B.C. Rich Platinum Beast
- Godin LG EMG
- Peavey 6505+ Combo
- "Mastortion" Pedal 1/6
- Hagstrom HC-15 (1967)

2011 gear:
- Schecter 35th anniversary C-1
- Schecter RAF spitfire solo 6
The pickups are going to be an important upgrade, but I would suggest upgrading to some normal pickups and look at shielding your guitar to get rid of the noise. I don't really care for noiseless pickups.

You could rewire the whole thing while you're putting in new pickups. It's not hard to do, and it will improve the sound.

The next logical improvement for tone might be a nicer bridge, but MIA bridges aren't exactly interchangeable with MIM bridges (or at least the didn't used to be), so that's maybe not a good choice.

Another upgrade to consider would be tuners. I like the locking tuners on American Deluxes, personally.
Feel free to call me Kyle.

Quote by ibz_bucket
Just so you know, I read everything you type in a Mike Rowe from Dirty Jobs voice.

Quote by tubetime86
I mean in Kyle's case, it is in the best interest of mankind that he impregnate anything that looks at him funny...
Quote by silly6-string

oh, well, then you don't need any mods. Any Fender (provided it hasn't been abused and isn't defective) will last a lifetime. If you are happy with how the guitar sounds and plays now, then don't upgrade it. A lot of people get a guitar and modify the **** out of it before the even really start playing it. They try and foresee problems that may or may not exists and will spend oodles of $$ on trying to fix these "problems".

I say that if you're on a budget or don't want to spend that much, I wouldn't mod it, and only change it as problems arise.
Actually, I go by Dave, but there are already too many Daves on this forum.

Fender MIM Stratocaster
Fender Jaguar Bass
Epiphone EJ200 Super Jumbo
Fender Excelsior 13w
Acoustic B300HD (with matching 1x12 cab)
BOSS BD-2W
NYC Big Muff Pi
Quote by Chad11491
I read in Fender's own strat book that actually alot of times MIM bodies will be made in America out of the same stuff the MIA's are and shipped the 20-40 mile distance that MIM's are made. Then painted and assembled.

I really believe a MIM with pickup and bridge upgrades is just as good as an MIA. Just find pickups that suit your style, and I'd replace the whole bridge with a really nice solid steel one with a nice brass block. And probably throw on locking tuners.

They keep the good wood for the MIA guitars and leave the rest to the MIM. The build quality of the MIA is also better. I have yet to play a MIM that even came close to my MIA. You can tell the difference in sound acoustically. MIA is definitely worth it. Upgrading the bridge, pickups, tuners, nut, and everything else that's replaceable with set you back a couple hundred dollars. There's stuff that you can't improve on the MIM that is better in the MIA. The MIA is better in the long run.
I think it's important to note that the American Standard is less than $1075 CAD new with hardshell case. The MIM equivalent (no case) is about $550 CAD new. Add in the HS Case better bridge and PUs are you're basically at the American Standard in price. Reselling a modd'ed up MIM won't bring you more money that the MIM itslef is worth either, although it may make it more attractive than a standatd MIM. So resale wise the MIA will kick the MIM's ass. If you can stretch it, go for the big brother.
Moving on.....