My little fingers is quite weak and I need to make it stronger, any ways I can do this?
Quote by Dethros
My little fingers is quite weak and I need to make it stronger, any ways I can do this?

You'll be surprised how little effort actually goes into fingering a note. It's more about the technique than the amount of strength that you use but if you want to strengthen your pinky, just use it more.
I initially had trouble using my little finger too. I just practiced at a slower tempo and did a lot of vibrato, bends, hammer-ons and pull-off excercises with it. Now, using my little finger comes naturally. Hope this helps.
Yeah, Trills would work.

I would also practice chromatic exercises leading with the pinky, if you've never done any before, Steve's 30 Hour workout has some great exercises, so learn them and then apply certains to your pinky

for instance you would play 4 notes on each string going up and down like this

e-------------------------------1234---5432
b-------------------------1234---------------5432
g-------------------1234---------------------------5432
d-------------1234---------------------------------------5432------------------------------etc.
a------1234----------------------------------------------------5432-----------------3456
e1234-----------------------------------------------------------------5432---3456

you would use a different finger for each note and you can mix up the order and add notes and take away notes
But for this exercise I would start as high up on the neck as you could or the 12th fret or whatever and start with your pinky and work your to the first fret.

Another exercise like this is

e-----1-2----2-3----3-4----4-5
b -1-2---2-3----3-4-----4-5

All the way up the neck and then back down or you could have a different gap, so instead of 1,2 it could be (1,3) (2,4), do you understand that? lol
this is also good for different fingers you could start with your index finger and then work every finger and then once you've done your index with each finger start on your middle finger and work the remaining two and finally you'd use only ring and pinky finger.

John Petruccis' "Rock Discipline" has some great exercises I'd recommend watching it coughtorrentcough! Though I haven't seen all of it, it has some great warm up exercises lol

I'd also say to learn guitar parts you already know but with different fingerings. You'd be surprised at how many guitarists use their pinky horribly and how many are actually very good with it.
On The Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Stadium Arcadium", John Frusciante played alot of things with his pinky that you wouldn't think. For example the riff to snow, he played all those parts with his pinky, the hammer ons and pull offs and everything as opposed to his ring finger.
So I would learn songs you already know and use your pinky in place of your middle or ring finger on riffs or leads or whatever.
Even chord changes are good, because there are some awkward chord changes that benefit the pinky, but I actually don't have any in mind, but you might.

I'll give you one last lesson from Paul Gilberts Total Guitar articles

e-7---------------------7
b---10p8p7------7h8h10
g------------9-----------

Play that without using your ring finger, only your pinky index and middle and see how fast and clean you can get it. It also only gets 3 picks going up and down on the 7th 10th and 9th fret notes, so those hammer on and pull offs are all done without picking

That's all I can think of
And we will weave in and out of sanity unnoticed
Swirling in blissfully restless visions of all our bleary progress
Glowing in radiant madness
Last edited by TDKshorty at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by steven seagull
Use it more

^^^THIS^^^

"use it or, lose it"...
Quote by MetlHed94

Well played, sir, well played.
Quote by TDKshorty
Yeah, Trills would work.

I would also practice chromatic exercises leading with the pinky, if you've never done any before, Steve's 30 Hour workout has some great exercises, so learn them and then apply certains to your pinky

for instance you would play 4 notes on each string going up and down like this

e-------------------------------1234---5432
b-------------------------1234---------------5432
g-------------------1234---------------------------5432
d-------------1234---------------------------------------5432------------------------------etc.
a------1234----------------------------------------------------5432-----------------3456
e1234-----------------------------------------------------------------5432---3456

you would use a different finger for each note and you can mix up the order and add notes and take away notes
But for this exercise I would start as high up on the neck as you could or the 12th fret or whatever and start with your pinky and work your to the first fret.

Another exercise like this is

e-----1-2----2-3----3-4----4-5
b -1-2---2-3----3-4-----4-5

All the way up the neck and then back down or you could have a different gap, so instead of 1,2 it could be (1,3) (2,4), do you understand that? lol
this is also good for different fingers you could start with your index finger and then work every finger and then once you've done your index with each finger start on your middle finger and work the remaining two and finally you'd use only ring and pinky finger.

John Petruccis' "Rock Discipline" has some great exercises I'd recommend watching it coughtorrentcough! Though I haven't seen all of it, it has some great warm up exercises lol

I'd also say to learn guitar parts you already know but with different fingerings. You'd be surprised at how many guitarists use their pinky horribly and how many are actually very good with it.
On The Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Stadium Arcadium", John Frusciante played alot of things with his pinky that you wouldn't think. For example the riff to snow, he played all those parts with his pinky, the hammer ons and pull offs and everything as opposed to his ring finger.
So I would learn songs you already know and use your pinky in place of your middle or ring finger on riffs or leads or whatever.
Even chord changes are good, because there are some awkward chord changes that benefit the pinky, but I actually don't have any in mind, but you might.

I'll give you one last lesson from Paul Gilberts Total Guitar articles

e-7---------------------7
b---10p8p7------7h8h10
g------------9-----------

Play that without using your ring finger, only your pinky index and middle and see how fast and clean you can get it. It also only gets 3 picks going up and down on the 7th 10th and 9th fret notes, so those hammer on and pull offs are all done without picking

That's all I can think of

Hey, thank you for all of this help mate, I appreciate it