Since I cannot in good faith put this in any genre thread, I find the Pit is perfect because it's such a General question.

Since there is no such thing as a perfect song, what to YOU makes a great song?

1. Name the song / band / genre.

and....

2. What about it makes it just amazing? Perhaps the composition? The lyrics? The rhythm? Don't just simply say a mix of everything, say what one thing simply stands out.

EDIT: guess it's my turn

1. (I'm not even really a fan anymore) The Air That I Breathe / All That Remains / Metal (i guess)

2. For me, it's got to be the song structure. To me, this song has no noticeable hitches in "listenability". It absolutely just Flows. Energetic intro used to also bridge the verse to chorus twice, 2nd time harmonized. A tasteful solo. EXCELLENT chorus vocals.
It's actually done rather traditionally too as far as structure. Single verse, single chorus, then a double verse, double chorus. 2 separate melodic bridges followed by a solo. Ends with an altered verse as as the outro. These mixes have been done SO many times, but to me, hardly ever done as well as this song in the execution department.

Songs like The Air That I Breathe made look at song structure in a whole new degree of importantance.

Last edited by bdof at Apr 30, 2011,
There isn't one thing that stands out to me. There are good songs and not so good songs.

Edit: Guitar tone makes a big difference.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Perfect song: (n.) an arrangement of sounds to elicit the best possible positive reaction from the listener. I.e. "Comfortably Numb," by Pink Floyd.
Quote by Les_Frederiksen
PlayMadness, you give me hope for mankind.

Quote by Darksucker
PlayMadness - Jesus 2.0

Quote by genghisgandhi
Society's doing great. There's a rise of people like PlayMadness. I feel pretty good about the way things are going.
what makes a better song:
-tone
-good lyrics
-sounds good to your ear
Sell and Promote your music TuneHub!

wy is yer mad at muy gramhar fer?

Quote by jimmyled
jimmybanks youre a genius.

aparently i ar smrt?
Quote by dyingLeper
jimmybanks youre a genius

GO SENS GO
Damn, thats a tough question but:

1. Vital Signs / Rush / Prog

2. I would have to say that this song is amazing for a couple of reasons: Its has an istantly recognizable chord progression/riff, the lyrical flow fits perfectly over the music, the chorus has a great melody, and the outro is brilliant.
Do you have a taste for awful Black Metal? If you do check out Cryptic Gates and let me know what you think!

Quote by senor_penguin
its like a girl having dicks where her nipples should be, you digg?
1. Lateralus / Tool / Hard Rock

2. It's hard to put in words, but it has a lot to do with the journey the song takes you through, and the way that the different parts seamlessly flow into each other. Not to mention that the instruments all sound amazing. If I could ever get that drum, guitar or bass tone, I'd throw my instrument out the window saying "that's it, I'm never gonna get any better than this"

EDIT: for those who don't know the song, here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EDlC7oG_2W4

If you don't like it, that's cool, everyone has different tastes.

If you don't recognise the talent and effort that went into making this, I'm taking away your musicians license and you'll have to take a test to get it back.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by PlayMadness
Perfect song: (n.) an arrangement of sounds to elicit the best possible positive reaction from the listener. I.e. "Comfortably Numb," by Pink Floyd.

This makes a lot of sense.

A great song is something that really evokes something in the listener. I get that from a lot of songs, Confortably Numb for example. But also "The Madness and the Damage Done" by Shining (Jazz fusion/metal)
An Augmented 4th or a Diminished 5th?

Quote by I.O.T.M
You, fine sir, have impeccable taste.

Ahhhh Yuck Fou.
Wheel of Time / Blind Guardian / Orchestral/Symphonic Power Metal

I really dig the books, so naturally i like the lyrics of this song. Also, the way the structurized is just mind blowing, it's a perfect blend of metal and symphony merged into one. Hansi Kürch is also my all time favorite vocalist, so that contributes a lot. The choirs in the choruses and the epic ending just blows me away. No doubt one of the greatest songs i've heard of all time.
It has to be kinda catchy. Heavy but also have softer parts. It's hard to explain it in words.
These are some examples

Foo Fighters - Let It Die
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oC9fQhEHw2o&feature=fvst

Opeth - Bleak
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p8atiEPs0bQ

Opeth - The Drapery Falls
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvLn8j4c5l4

Bonus points if you find the odd one out
WARNING: Signature may not be handwritten
Last edited by slybacon at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster

FUCK
THIS
SHIT

Too tough? I'll give you a clue. It's one of the first 2
Quote by slybacon
Too tough? I'll give you a clue. It's one of the first 2

You misuderstood me.

That picture is the face that youtube puts on their videos when they're not available in your country and are not able to watch them, which was the case in every single video you posted. Has nothing to do with the content.
Quote by CoreysMonster
You misuderstood me.

That picture is the face that youtube puts on their videos when they're not available in your country and are not able to watch them, which was the case in every single video you posted. Has nothing to do with the content.

Ahh, then I'll label them in my Original Post
One that keeps you captivated within the song, shows variation while still being relevant to the original theme, and one that entices emotion.

eg.

life on the drop - SRV (emotion, relevance to theme throughout song)
fannie mae - the ford blues band (builds up, shows variation, makes your shit yourself)
your hand in mine - EITS (emotion, build up, relevance and variation)
combustion - meshuggah (build up, relevance to theme)
giant steps - coltrane (just crazy shit)
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Last edited by Banjocal at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by slybacon
Ahh, then I'll label them in my Original Post

thanks!

Listened to them now, and the odd ones are obviously the Opeth songs, because Opeth obviously sucks ginormous assballs because their singer doesn't sing, just screams and spews nothing but nonsense lyrics the whole time. Opeth couldn't write a perfect song if their lives depended on it.
The perfect song for me has to be obscure, if a band has more than 5 fans that means they have sold out and are clearly doing it for profit and not for the enjoyment of music. The song also has to be technically complex, the lyrics could be about peeing in someone's anus but if there isn't at least 132 time and key signature changes, and a complex solo from every band member in a single song, then it is a shit song.
2013 #5 Uger
2012 #7 Uger

Quote by jetfuel495
Jesus, Horsedick, you are my hero

Quote by JayT44
don't worry guys his girlfriend is black, she said it was okay for him to say that.

Stalk Me

Shitty Covers

Original Music

Lastfm
Quote by CoreysMonster
thanks!

Listened to them now, and the odd ones are obviously the Opeth songs, because Opeth obviously sucks ginormous assballs because their singer doesn't sing, just screams and spews nothing but nonsense lyrics the whole time. Opeth couldn't write a perfect song if their lives depended on it.

Now, instead of saying why you're wrong, I'll say that this thread is about opinions. And obviously, ours are different

Also,
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG
The perfect song for me has to be obscure, if a band has more than 5 fans that means they have sold out and are clearly doing it for profit and not for the enjoyment of music. The song also has to be technically complex, the lyrics could be about peeing in someone's anus but if there isn't at least 132 time and key signature changes, and a complex solo from every band member in a single song, then it is a shit song.

Oh, you!
Quote by EndTheRapture51
who pays five hundred fucking dollars for a burger
Quote by slybacon
Now, instead or saying why you're wrong, I'll say that this thread is about opinions. And obviously, ours are different

Also,

I take it you didn't get that I was just trolling you

Opeth are friggin amazing, Grand Conjuration (the video edit) is another perfect song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqcBD2oiEH8

Perfect mix of quiet, haunting whispering and loud, murderous growling. How can you not just LOVE that?

EDIT: also, whoever drew that friggin trollface should be rewarded, it's been used so many friggin times.
Last edited by CoreysMonster at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by CoreysMonster
I take it you didn't get that I was just trolling you

Opeth are friggin amazing, Grand Conjuration (the video edit) is another perfect song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqcBD2oiEH8

Perfect mix of quiet, haunting whispering and loud, murderous growling. How can you not just LOVE that?

You sure trolled me.

The Grand Conjuration is another great song, but I don't find it as perfect as the ones I posted.

Still, brofist for you
Flow, interesting musical arrangements (that doesn't mean we need some huge 20 minute song or a band that is insanely talented), decent lyrics, a good melody, emotion and i'm probably missing some other stuff. Lover You Should've Come Over comes to mind though.
there is such a thing as a perfect song.

Altitudes - Jason Becker - Neoclassical

Simply because it's the most beautiful song ever wrote (IMO)
My current favorite songs (in no particular order):

Me and My Shadow - Frank Sinatra and Sammy Davis Jr.

Raining Blood - Slayer - Reign In Blood

How the Story Ends - Megadeth - Endgame

For The Glory Of...More Than Meets the Eye - Testament - The Formation of Damnation

We Belong (Spanish Version) - Lowen and Navarro - Walking on a Wire

I have no idea what makes the perfect song for me, but I know it when I hear it.
"If you can hum it, you can play it!"

Gear:
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
ESP: LTD M-10
Marshall MD10CD
Head Song by Taking Back Sunday for me. It has 1.) Sheer Emotion 2.) Repetition/focus on lyrical theme 3.) intensity and 4.) A very fluid structure
A perfect song to me is one that lasts for more than 5 mins but seems to fly, thanks to the pacing. Examples:
When The Wild Wind Blows - Iron Maiden
Anesthetize - Porcupine Tree
Arriving Somewhere But Not Here - Porcupine Tree
Bleak - Opeth
Godhead's Lament - Opeth
Face of Melinda - Opeth
The Count Of Tuscany - Dream Theater
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Ibanez RGR321EX
Roland Microcube

RIP Dio _\m/

"There are times in your life when you have to ask yourself the question "What would Charlie Sheen do?""

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
Quote by Horsedick.MPEG

I enjoyed reading this immensely
Nameless by Rapture.

It's just awesome. Definitely not perfect, but there's no such thing, so I decided this one would suffice. The lyrics are good, the melodies are amazing.

Just listen. And listen to everything else by this band. They have better songs.

I'm just advertising this band for being awesome
Quote by korinaflyingv
On the come up we were listening to Grateful Dead and the music started passing through my bowel and out my arsehole as this violet stream of light. I shat music. It was beautiful.