I've had my Line 6 Spider IV 15-Watt amp for almost 5 months now and a few weeks ago it started acting weird. At first when I played my guitar the volume would go down by itself then after a while it went back to normal. But now even if I have the volume knob all the way up it sounds really low and I don't know how to fix this. :\

Can anybody help me?
still under warranty?
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
In before the 'throw it out the window' fix
Guitars

Yamaha Pacifica 112v
Fender MiM Strat

Amps

Vox VT40+
Marshall MG15CDR

Quote by LeakyFlask
I know how it feels dude, none of my pickguards have guitars.

One of my old 'cheaper' amps used to do that (or so I thought);

It turned out to be my input jack on one of my guitars, check that maybe?
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
Quote by PunkRocker277
@Dave_MC
I'm not sure. :O

did you buy it new from a shop? if you did it should still be under warranty... warranties are normally a minimum of a year...

if it is under warranty, just bring it back to where you brought it and ask them to fix it... if you try to fix it yourself you can void your warranty.

EDIT: ^ yeah obviously check that the amp's at fault first
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
if the amp is actually broken, it most likely cannot be fixed. solid state and digital amps are typically a pain to troubleshoot, and if it is a digital chip that is bad, nothing you can do about it. check all your cables, your guitar jack, and everything else you can think of first.
It's not my guitar cause when I try my guitar on my friend amp it works perfectly.
Also what I noticed it that at first when it started acting weird I moved the power cable around and that would temporarily make my amp sound normal.

Edit: I bought the amp at guitar center. So if I take it there they can fix it?
Last edited by PunkRocker277 at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by jof1029
if the amp is actually broken, it most likely cannot be fixed. solid state and digital amps are typically a pain to troubleshoot, and if it is a digital chip that is bad, nothing you can do about it. check all your cables, your guitar jack, and everything else you can think of first.

Yup.
Quote by SG_dave at #33549256
I've never wanted to see a guy eat dick so much in my life.
Quote by ali.guitarkid7 at #33553650
If you are white, you are scum.
Quote by jof1029

Digital I agree with, chips going bad, etc, make digital part of the "no fix, replace" consumerist pitfall that's so widespread today. Solid state, not so much. Circuitry is circuitry in that case. At my old job we bought a set of ISP powered speakers (can't remember the name of the line, but they're discontinued now, and I'm preeeeetty sure I know why...) and I was almost constantly pulling out the circuit board and tracing various problems. Have multimeter, will travel.

Of course, this is somewhat irrelevant given the amp in question is digital, I just felt the need to step in and defend solid state. There's a reason tube systems are generally only found in guitar amps nowadays.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
^ im not talking down about soild state, its just most SS stuff these days isnt made to be fixed. tracing circuitry is all well and good, but with the tendancy towards surface mount components these days, you really cant fix it. a well made solid state device even just a decade old can be troubleshot and fixed. but unfortanately people dont do that anymore, so most SS is becoming that same "toss it" mentality when it breaks. i was more refering to the modern stuff currently on the market.

i mean i would never say you cant troubleshoot your tubescreamer, and that is solid state. its just a different ballgame with new designs, which really sucks for anyoneus who knows what they are doing.
Oooooh, gotcha. Yeah, you're talking about the same thing I was about digital, out with the fix, in with the toss and rebuy/upgrade.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

VOLUME SWELLING OCTAVE MONGER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by PunkRocker277
It's not my guitar cause when I try my guitar on my friend amp it works perfectly.
Also what I noticed it that at first when it started acting weird I moved the power cable around and that would temporarily make my amp sound normal.

Edit: I bought the amp at guitar center. So if I take it there they can fix it?

yeah. or at least send it away to get fixed. Or just give you a replacement.

Bring your receipt with you. And all the packaging etc. (if you still have it- but if it's faulty you really shouldn't need to, certainly here you don't).

but yeah i mean if you bought it new from GC 5 months ago, they need to fix it.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
just buy an upgrade...i have a line 6 spider 4 15w and i dont like it...at all, its easily one of the worst sounding amps i've ever owned...but hey, you get what you pay for...

save up and buy a new amp, thats my recommendation
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
if he can get it fixed or replaced under warranty he might as well... even if he decides to upgrade, he can sell a working amp a lot more easily than a broken one
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
try using a different cable
Originally posted by primusfan
When you crank up the gain to 10 and switch to the lead channel, it actually sounds like you are unjustifiably bombing an innocent foreign land.

╠═══════╬═══════╣
τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ
╠═══════╬═══════╣
Quote by Dave_Mc
if he can get it fixed or replaced under warranty he might as well... even if he decides to upgrade, he can sell a working amp a lot more easily than a broken one

true, IF you can get it fixed...fix it, if you cant for some reason, then buy an upgrade...either way, have fun playing
Rig:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Amp- Blackstar HT-60 Soloist
Digitech Rp355

I look like this-
It sounds like you need a new cable, i've had that problem before. If not, maybe it's time for a new amp

Jay Turser: JT-134DC
Epiphone: G-400
Gibson: SG Special Faded Cherry

Line 6: Spider III 15-watt
Marshall Haze 40

DOD FX65 Chorus
Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ
EH4800 Small Stone Phase Shifter
Dunlop CryBaby Wah
Deltalab Tube Overdrive TO1