I have recently come up with a riff that is fairly dark.I want to solo over it but whatever I do,it starts sounding happy.I'm playing in D minor by the way.The question is, how to make the solo dark and ominous, and not sound happy as if I am using a major scale?
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Major scales are only as happy or sad as you make them. Same for minor scales.

The biggest thing is the intervals you choose to use, the tone/dynamics/rhythms, etc. that you use.
Only play what you hear. If you don’t hear anything, don’t play anything.
-Chick Corea
Don't overuse major 3rds, perfect 4ths, and 5ths. Use some minor 2nd intervals, Minor thirds, augmented 4ths, that kind of stuff. Thatll help you get a darker sound.
Last edited by mh1986 at Apr 30, 2011,
yeah look at your underlying progression. when a lot of people play "minor" progressions, usually they just play something in the major scale with a V - vi cadence at the end. while this is the usual natural minor thing now, try write the chord progressions using the harmonic minor.

for the solo, try the harmonic minor probably. don't be afraid of chromatics. try using the #4 in places (resolving the the 5th if your starting off i'd say)

that should get you broody
Diminished and harmonic minor or phrygian dominant works well for makeing dark solos.
Quote by MegatallicaFTW
Tritone.

Period.

This but, it does depend what chord progression you have.
If you are in D minor and your chords go like A#major-C7-Fmajor you wouldn't get a dark sound at all.
A chord progression in D minor which will get that typical darker sound is like soloing over a A5-Bb5-G5 will get you a phrygian sound as long as you keep the notes of d minor scale.
Since the A#major-C7-Fmajor progression resolves to the I it will give you an Ionian sound.
Last edited by liampje at Apr 30, 2011,
Diminished scale. Minor thirds, diminished fifths, minor and diminished sevenths etc
by the time you read this you will be wasting your time because it doesnt say anything
Quote by liampje
If you are in D minor and your chords go like Bbmajor-C7-Fmajor you wouldn't get a dark sound at all.
Fixed, and that's not in D minor, it's in F major.

Quote by liampje
A chord progression in D minor which will get that typical darker sound is like soloing over a A5-A#5-C5 will get you a phrygian sound as long as you keep the notes of d minor scale.
Yet again: if you plan to resolve to the A5, you're not in D minor, you're in A minor.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Fixed, and that's not in D minor, it's in F major.

Yet again: if you plan to resolve to the A5, you're not in D minor, you're in A minor.

What the **** is it with all these brain flaws of mine I meant G5.
EDIT: I know it's F major but when I used to play scales I used to think D minor was the exact same thing as F major starting on a different note.
So I'm kindda trying to get my thoughts into his.
Last edited by liampje at Apr 30, 2011,
Quote by liampje

maybe you don't understand theory.

well done on highjacking this thread with your stupidity and total lack of constructive input. you've got a talent, i'll give you that.
Last edited by gavk at Apr 30, 2011,
Try hamonic minor maybe? idk, we kinda need to know what u already wrote
Quote by gavk
maybe you don't understand theory.

well done on highjacking this thread with your stupidity. you've got a talent, i'll give you that.

Yes I know absolutely nothing about theory.
Quote by liampje
EDIT: I know it's F major but when I used to play scales I used to think D minor was the exact same thing as F major starting on a different note.

it is the same, in that it has the same notes, but...

If you are in D minor and your chords go like A#major-C7-Fmajor you wouldn't get a dark sound at all.
A chord progression in D minor which will get that typical darker sound is like soloing over a A5-Bb5-G5 will get you a phrygian sound as long as you keep the notes of d minor scale.
Since the A#major-C7-Fmajor progression resolves to the I it will give you an Ionian sound.

this is in Fmajor, not Dminor, because it resolves to the Fmajor chord. now what do you mean when you "used to play scales," ? u should still be playing them.
You should be able to make any scale sound as dark or light as you need it, I would suggest instead of looking into all these different scales, actually hear exactly what you want your solo to sound like, note for note, in your head before you play it. If you can get the dark sound you want in your head, all you have to do from there is find out how to play it on your guitar!
"When that day comes I shall Futterwacken ... vigorously."
~ The Mad Hatter

Quote by liampje
D minor is never and can never be the same thing as F major. Eliminate that notion from your brain permanently.
-Chick Corea
The progression goes like this.It's all power chords by the way.
A5 A#5 G5 C5 A#5
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog
People absolutely love to see horrible accidents and murders, as well as any sort of fighting really. Just look at the news. We wouldn't watch it if it was boring.
Quote by simba1312
A5 A#5 G5 C5 A#5

how the hell is that in Dminor?

edit: oops **** i switched the G5 to a B5 haha i feel super-stupid
Here is a completely wild guess. You are playing too many Bbs. All of the other notes in the D minor scale sound fine over a D minor chord(which is basically what a D minor-based riff would imply). A Bb, however, undermines the "D minor-ness" of a D minor chord. It sort of turns it into an inverted Bb major chord. So if you want it to sound like D minor, make sure the Bb is only a passing tone.
Quote by TMVATDI
it is the same, in that it has the same notes, but...

this is in Fmajor, not Dminor, because it resolves to the Fmajor chord. now what do you mean when you "used to play scales," ? u should still be playing them.

How I played scales when I first learned them.
Quote by simba1312
A5 Bb5 G5 C5 Bb5
Does it end on the Bb5 or does it resolve to another chord?

It's definitely not in D minor. Depending on how you resolve it, it could be G minor, F major, or C minor.
-Chick Corea
Quote by food1010
Does it end on the Bb5 or does it resolve to another chord?

It's definitely not in D minor. Depending on how you resolve it, it could be G minor, F major, or C minor.

Wouldn't that Bb5 make a great ending chord and then loop it again because they Bb5 resolves to A5 right?
Quote by simba1312
A5 A#5 G5 C5 A#5
To get the darkest sound I can come up with right now is to use the notes of Fmajor.
But shredding won't make your solos sound dark.
You should experiment with rests, pauses can be really dramatic.
And I guess you can make your soloing dramatic by when you play, not to put so many notes into one bar.
Quote by liampje
Wouldn't that Bb5 make a great ending chord and then loop it again because they Bb5 resolves to A5 right?

Yes,I play this riff repeatedly as he said.So I guess it doesn't resolve to anything?
Anyway,this is the main riff.After playing this whole sequence twice,the riff goes like:
A5 G5 A5 Bb5 A5 G5 C5 Bb5.Even this is played repeatedly.But I intend to play the solo in the first riff.
Gear:
Ibanez RGT6EX
Line 6 Spider 3 15
Hobner 265

Quote by Lost Dog